• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rev limiter?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
Guess I hit mine today on my K1200... Quite by accident, and it sort of surprised me!
A first for me- I don't typically wind the bike out so far. I think I was in 2nd.
Oops. :blush

No harm, no foul. That's what the rev limiter is for. But I know it has scared the heck out of me the few times I've hit it. Thought I'd broken something but it was just the motor saving itself from me. :eek

pete

:thumb Yeah once you get used to that part of the tach it happens Mine gets bumped as well. Keep exploring! :clap

NCS

I use it as my upshift point, if I am having a lot of fun, or at the track.

Rev limiters are a good thing, although hitting it by surprise is an awakening. With other brands of motorcycles I've owned, the power started to fall off before hitting the red line. So it wasn't much of a surprise since I knew I was running out of power. All of my BMW's on the other-hand, were still pulling strong when the rev limiter took over. As a teenager I managed to float a few valves by over revving - a costly mistake. :D

Back