• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tonto National Forest

D

DZIMBRIC

I just found these pictures from my trip to AZ. It's a little late, but better late than never.

Saturday March 5, 2005 On a cloudy overcast day, I set out from the hotel planning to ride up to Flagstaff. I didn't want to ride the slab and wanted to see some of the AZ countryside. Boy what was I thinking,

Lesson 1 for a Indiana country boy.
The cartographer for the State of Arizona is a sick individual. I saw a route on the state map that showed the exit for New River linking up with a road that followed the interstate, just what I wanted. Real simple, New River into Scottsdale, pickup Cave Creek to Seven Springs Rd. to Bloody Basin Rd. and back onto the slab. Piece of cake.

Crossing the New River
28142927-M.jpg

One of my favorite signs

28142920-M.jpg

Down the road a bit.
28142945-M.jpg

Here is lesson number 2. When they post a sign that says the road is not fit for travel under wet conditions do NOT go down that road on a RT.

Weather is moving in,
28142977-M.jpg

Somewhere along Seven Springs Road I got in the middle of a bicycle race, these guys were passing me on the downhills, forget the fact that their bicycle weighed about 20 pounds and I was riding a 600+# street bike in the wet mud. Did I mention the road had turned to mud at this time.

28142961-M.jpg

So now I know I am getting into the deep feces, I passed a jeep that was muttparked on the side of a hill, them 4 wheel drive cages were spinning all over the place, I thought I had to be near the turn-off for Bloody Basin and I was not going to go back through that stuff so I slogged onward on my trusty RT. About the time I did this
28142965-L.jpg

and ended up like this
28142963-M.jpg

I was passed by several 4X4's that had some serious off road modifications. They had turned around because the road was impassable and you could NOT get through to Bloody Basin. I guess since I had navigated it once I could get back out.
So I strapped on the broken side case with a bungee cord and rode back out.
28142974-M.jpg

Did I forget to mention the dry washes were now about headlight deep, sorry I couldn't snap a picture of them. Anyway it sure is amazing how much mud you can pack inside the tupperware on a RT.
:clap

Wow--quite a ride and quite a report. Always hate to see an RT on its side, but good for you for trying!

I like mud

You are a braver man than I. Tried a little of that on my RT in Mississippi mud earlier this summer but called it a day after only a short run. Not for me, no sir. Gimme pavement.

But good on you for trying! :clap Enjoyed the pix

By the way, any tips on how you picked up your bike, especially in the loose footing? :confused:

Thanks for sharing, I know the road fairly well as I did it on my GS a while back. Nice photos, only issue is with your pavement ends photo in that when you are travelling by motorcycle, never leave your helmet on the ground unless you are in need of help. Helmet on the ground near the motorcycle is an international signal for distress.

great report! way to take a snapshot of the bike while down!

:clap

wow.
gee, did this little excursion have anything to do with the subsequent purchase of a gs.
taking an rs where jeeps fear to tread, now that is pretty impressive.

hurricane said:
You are a braver man than I. Tried a little of that on my RT in Mississippi mud earlier this summer but called it a day after only a short run. Not for me, no sir. Gimme pavement.

But good on you for trying! :clap Enjoyed the pix

By the way, any tips on how you picked up your bike, especially in the loose footing? :confused:

Put it in gear so the rear won't roll and as they say "squat the pig", just grab it by the lowside bar end and pick it up. The new GS is much easier to squat than the RT. Skert does a seminar on how to use your legs and stuff, me I just grab it and grunt.
One of the jeep guys stopped and tried to help, I wish I had a picture of the look on his face when he tried to pick it by the mirror and ended up with the thing in his hand. I said it was not a problem, but he climbed back in his jeep and left.

Thanks for the info. :thumb Don't make a habit of dropping, but the only two times my RT has been down was in the gravel/dirt, at the end of a travel day, in camps, tired....well those are stories for another day.

Back