• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

US spec vs Euro Spec bikes

So far as I can remember:

On the US side, the fresh air injection system that put filtered air into the exhaust ports, to facilitate complete burning of the exhaust gases.

On the European side (rest of the world, actually), the ability to switch off the headlight.

I think the cam sprocket was slotted differently to change timing. Best to do some research on this.

Not sure about post 80 but pre-80 US bikes typically had higher wider handlebars, and thus different mirror stalks. This is why the bars used with an S fairing are called Euro handle bars, because the were standard on unfaired bikes in Europe. Plus of course emissions and no headlight off switch.

1980 Euro mdL

I bought a 1980 r100rs with Euro. Specs. in 1980 and owned it for around 30 years. Main difference visually was the Euro. had the old type air cleaner housing made out of metal whereas the 1980 USA version was made out of plastic. Of course the old type air cleaner was round and the new type square. The exhaust on the Euro. was 40mm as I recall and the engine had higher compression. The gentleman I bought it from also told me the rear differential was geared lower than the USA version. Of course the speedometer was in Kilometers. There could have been more visual and internal differences but I'm not sure. Some BMW no-it-all's will have the answers.

DW

Back