• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 final drive unit bearing question

lvermiere

2011 1200RT. 20k miles. The bearing between the swing arm and the final drive unit ...in particular the final drive unit bearing on the left ( tire) side continues to collect dirt around the circumference of the bearing/seal. After a few thousand miles I get the dark/dirt covering the pivot pin/isa screw etc.

I clean it off and it appears again. Everything around it stays clean.

I this a possible seal or bearing (17x 40x 13.25) leak and are both under warranty? All is good on the right side pivot pin.

Nope. No one here....

Is it possible this is just brake dust you're seeing build up there? I get some on the casting the bearing fits into. I suppose it might be a bad seal on the bearing, and if you're under factory warranty that sort of thing is covered, so a trip to your dealer might be in order.

Dirt sticks to oil

I think your diagnosis is correct, dirt sticks to oil seeping or leaking. Otherwise it remains clean. Get it to the dealer and have him check it, which I am sure you already plan to do. I believe it is an easy fix for them to do, and since you have a 2011 it should be under warranty. Even if it isn't I'd have it fixed anyway by them.

My 2010 K1300GT had the same problem on a trip last year, got it fixed at the dealer in MO and all was well after that, so don't worry. A leaking seal does not necessarily mean your rear end is on the way out. Restrain your paranoia. That 's what I keep telling myself...

Back