• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT....motor oil question...

They can and they do say you have to use the product and it's legal to do so as long as you or your independent mechanic have access to it.

It's not exclusive specification that's the problem, it would be exclusive availability. The latter is a restraint of trade. The former isn't. I suspect the price should be reasonable and it is.

It's simply ridiculous to think somebody is getting away with a legal violation.

Don't think there's any guarantee that Castrol Syntrax from Europe is same as Castrol Syntrax from PepBoys. I imagine the PepBoys bottles indicate "made in USA" and that that means it's not the same. This is an exclusive formula for BMW (and formerly Land Rover during the BMW ownership era) and I suspect you could check at a BMW car dealer, where the mantra is still "lifetime." At the BMW car dealer there are two versions, i.e. limited slip and not. A formula exclusively for BMW does not fit the usual PepBoys marketing strategy. Syntrax is simply a trademark registered by Castrol and that registration does not obligate them to put the same stuff in every bottle with that label.

And it would be interesting to see how they would explain in court how Mobil 1 caused a final drive failure.

Basically,that is what I am talking abouth.
You can use ANY oil if you are in specs recommended.There is no holly god's oil for our bikes.Just got to fallow recommended specs.BMW recommending his own oil is a simple BS/busyness/.BTW why don't you check out a real oil definitions from first hand on internet,coming from oil experts,cheef enginers at MOBIL orSHELL and/or CASTROL itself.???And again,check out trucks oil or HD fleet oils what they are saying of those oils.You will be supriced!!HD oils are the most durable ouls compared to oils from the shelf.BEST oils available today.

BRGDS,
Steve
I did research for months!!I do not feel crasy enough to use some oil in my bike/love it soooooo much/wich could damage the engine or trany and FD.Up to you, go for the research find it out for youself.:):dance:wave

Back