• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200RT....motor oil question...

I ride in it every day. You haven't lived until you feel the heat through the soles your boots when stopped at a light. 100 degrees is a rarity in Canada. Here it's for months.

+1 Ponch.But for example 100*F with humide factor feels like 115-120*F.You can sit in the shed of a big tree,doing nothing and the swed just pouring down on your face and chest.Big lakes effect.:)

Steve

39C is hot no matter where one is - even in Canada. :D

And I've been in 42C degree heat numerous times in interior BC.

I've seen 119 on the freeway and it can go 60+ days of 100+. It usually 100+ from June through the end of September, with the occasional day might be under 100 if we get rain. If you've ridden in that daily which I have, it beats the hell out of the oil and rider.

Since the thread seems to have drifted a bit.. one point:

Mechanical equipment doesn't care about humidity with temperature. If it's 105F and 10% humidity in AZ and 105F and 90% humidity in NJ - the OIL in the engine is still going to be the same temperature. Mechanical equipment doesn't sweat.

Just thought I'd mention that.

105F in Reno stuck in traffic a few weeks ago was still quite uncomfortable on my R1200R (OBMWC..) and I watched the oil temperature gauge climb to where it had never been before - 3 bars above "normal".. cooled right off once I started moving.

I've seen 119 on the freeway and it can go 60+ days of 100+. It usually 100+ from June through the end of September, with the occasional day might be under 100 if we get rain. If you've ridden in that daily which I have, it beats the hell out of the oil and rider.

I was only correctly your statement that 100F is a rarity in Canada - not entering into a contest of which area has higher temps. Of course, why there is a hockey team in Phoenix is still beyond me. :laugh

Since the thread seems to have drifted a bit.. one point:

Mechanical equipment doesn't care about humidity with temperature. If it's 105F and 10% humidity in AZ and 105F and 90% humidity in NJ - the OIL in the engine is still going to be the same temperature. Mechanical equipment doesn't sweat.

Just thought I'd mention that.

105F in Reno stuck in traffic a few weeks ago was still quite uncomfortable on my R1200R (OBMWC..) and I watched the oil temperature gauge climb to where it had never been before - 3 bars above "normal".. cooled right off once I started moving.

That's happened to me too, a couple times. I try hard to avoid it. Start smelling different smells and the engine gets noisier. I wonder if the RT-P oil cooler fan is a good idea?

That's happened to me too, a couple times. I try hard to avoid it. Start smelling different smells and the engine gets noisier. I wonder if the RT-P oil cooler fan is a good idea?
It certainly isn't a bad thing to have, especially if you're in the hell hole of southern AZ (on my trip cross-country last month, I took the northern AZ route, stayed in Winslow - during the day it was 110F+ in Phoenix. Found out my Marsee evaporative vest REALLY works in those conditions.)

BTW - I finally started shutting the engine off it the light looked like it would be more then a minute or so. That actually dropped the temperature shown on the cluster a bar or two. Las Vegas wasn't much better, but I found it easier to keep moving by making big rectangles turning right on red whenever a light changed on me. Got to see a lot of downtown that way.. :)

+1 about the oil article mentioned by DPmonk. Since that piece showed good numbers for Mobile1, I have been using that. Buyer beware however, I have found as much as an $8/qt price difference between buying it at my mc dealer vs. buying it at my local auto parts store.

+1 about the oil article mentioned by DPmonk. Since that piece showed good numbers for Mobile1, I have been using that. Buyer beware however, I have found as much as an $8/qt price difference between buying it at my mc dealer vs. buying it at my local auto parts store.

It's even cheaper at Walmart.

Little misunderstanding of the law, I think.

Nothing wrong with an exclusive oil as long as it's freely available to everyone.

Problem lies in limiting the work to the dealership.

Little misunderstanding of the law, I think.

Nothing wrong with an exclusive oil as long as it's freely available to everyone.

Problem lies in limiting the work to the dealership.

Freely available, meaning free. That's my understanding and that's why they publish a API spec. They can recommend their own oil, but they can't say it has to be used.

It certainly isn't a bad thing to have, especially if you're in the hell hole of southern AZ (on my trip cross-country last month, I took the northern AZ route, stayed in Winslow - during the day it was 110F+ in Phoenix. Found out my Marsee evaporative vest REALLY works in those conditions.)

BTW - I finally started shutting the engine off it the light looked like it would be more then a minute or so. That actually dropped the temperature shown on the cluster a bar or two. Las Vegas wasn't much better, but I found it easier to keep moving by making big rectangles turning right on red whenever a light changed on me. Got to see a lot of downtown that way.. :)

It gets hot here in the summer and if you are on the roads during rush hour, it's not fun. Someone once said that if they owned hell and arizona, they'd move to hell and rent out arizona. Something like that. Come October 1 it's below 100 for months and the winters here are amazing. Much better than in NJ. :) I suppose if I wanted perfect weather I'd move to Santa Cruz.

Freely available, meaning free. That's my understanding and that's why they publish a API spec. They can recommend their own oil, but they can't say it has to be used.

So, people who don't need special oil have to pay for it, but if it's special it's free?

Freely available for you to purchase makes more sense.

So, people who don't need special oil have to pay for it, but if it's special it's free?

Freely available for you to purchase makes more sense.

The point is that they can't say you have to use Castrol SAF-XO. They can recommend it, but have to give a specification, like GL-5 or 80w-90 or whatever.

View attachment 44361

Well, according to the RepROM, the gear oil is Castrol SAF-XO. It doesn't even specify the weight or any other details or specs. Nowhere in the user's manual does it state what type of transmission oil to use. Notice how for engine oil they can say they recommend Castrol, but don't mandate it. The way they specify it for the transmission oil (and final drive) seems to make it mandatory.

Now Castrol doesn't sell SAF-XO here in the states. Only BMW does, branded in their own bottle. If I were to use something else (say any type of GL5 75W90 gear oil) and my transmission were to fail while under warranty, they could simply say I was using the wrong transmission oil as specified by their service manual. So as far as I can see, the only safe route for me is to pick up the BMW gear oil. Thankfully it appears to have had the price reduced as early reports showed it selling at around $50 a liter.

Oh, and here's something funny. Looking at my older RepROM (pre-camhead version), here's what it specifies for the 05-09 RTs:

View attachment 44362

In the old RepROM it specifies GL-5 SAE 90 gear oil. In the new version it specifies the SAF-XO for the same bike's gear oil. It's clear they just decided to list that one specifically for all gear/final drive oil. Notice even in the old RepROM it specified the final drive oil as SAF-XO (due to the "lifetime" fill I suppose).

If it is GL 5 Synthetic-You are right on.No mather who produces it.Standard fits---goes in.

another confirmation...

BMW Motorcycles says Mother BMW recommends BMW SAF-XO for the FD and gearbox....$22.15/liter and BMW Semi-Syn HP Engine Oil SAE15W50 for the motor....$10.97/qt....

just purchased the 24,000 mile "kit"....oil, filter, crush washers for crankcase, gearbox, o-ring and seal for FD, spark plugs, generator/alternator belt....total including tax was $216.57....

24k mile in less than an year....!!!!

wyman

Thumbs up .....way to go.

According to a web search Castrol Syntrax is available at Auto Zone for $10/32 oz bottle. FWIW

And, you're right about enforcement of the MM act. I used to own a Kia Sorrento and when it came time to service the transmission I discovered that you could only use Kia transmission fluid. It is specially formulated and nothing else works. A clear and obvious violation of federal law, but nonetheless that's the way it is.:scratch
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1!!!!!

They can and they do say you have to use the product and it's legal to do so as long as you or your independent mechanic have access to it.

It's not exclusive specification that's the problem, it would be exclusive availability. The latter is a restraint of trade. The former isn't. I suspect the price should be reasonable and it is.

It's simply ridiculous to think somebody is getting away with a legal violation.

Don't think there's any guarantee that Castrol Syntrax from Europe is same as Castrol Syntrax from PepBoys. I imagine the PepBoys bottles indicate "made in USA" and that that means it's not the same. This is an exclusive formula for BMW (and formerly Land Rover during the BMW ownership era) and I suspect you could check at a BMW car dealer, where the mantra is still "lifetime." At the BMW car dealer there are two versions, i.e. limited slip and not. A formula exclusively for BMW does not fit the usual PepBoys marketing strategy. Syntrax is simply a trademark registered by Castrol and that registration does not obligate them to put the same stuff in every bottle with that label.

They can and they do say you have to use the product and it's legal to do so as long as you or your independent mechanic have access to it.

It's not exclusive specification that's the problem, it would be exclusive availability. The latter is a restraint of trade. The former isn't. I suspect the price should be reasonable and it is.

It's simply ridiculous to think somebody is getting away with a legal violation.

Don't think there's any guarantee that Castrol Syntrax from Europe is same as Castrol Syntrax from PepBoys. I imagine the PepBoys bottles indicate "made in USA" and that that means it's not the same. This is an exclusive formula for BMW (and formerly Land Rover during the BMW ownership era) and I suspect you could check at a BMW car dealer, where the mantra is still "lifetime." At the BMW car dealer there are two versions, i.e. limited slip and not. A formula exclusively for BMW does not fit the usual PepBoys marketing strategy. Syntrax is simply a trademark registered by Castrol and that registration does not obligate them to put the same stuff in every bottle with that label.
Basically,that is what I am talking abouth.
You can use ANY oil if you are in specs recommended.There is no holly god's oil for our bikes.Just got to fallow recommended specs.BMW recommending his own oil is a simple BS/busyness/.BTW why don't you check out a real oil definitions from first hand on internet,coming from oil experts,cheef enginers at MOBIL orSHELL and/or CASTROL itself.???And again,check out trucks oil or HD fleet oils what they are saying of those oils.You will be supriced!!HD oils are the most durable ouls compared to oils from the shelf.BEST oils available today.

BRGDS,
Steve

Back