• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speedometer / FD Compatible Numbers R60/5

kentuvman

Hi Gang

Wondering if there's an original owner in our community who can confirm if my Speedo is compatible with FD

Speedo on my R60/5 is a bit optimistic. I recently had the instrument serviced but my resource forgot to ask for my FD number and the idea of providing it to him wasn't on my radar screen.

W=1155 and # on FD is 37/11

One other question: in the 60-70 mph range, the speedo needle "wags" just a bit - is this normal for this instrument? Tach needle is more stable - since instrument was serviced, was wondering if the speedo cable might be kaput.

Ken -

Check Snowbum's site for gearing info. Most likely your cable is coming apart internally. You could try a graphite lubricant...if it helps, you'll know the answer.

Most likely your cable is coming apart internally.

+1.

Ken, immediately disconnect the cable at the transmission, or at the instrument. That's what Palo Alto Speedo recommended that I do when I mentioned my speedo was doing the same thing.

Thanks, Guys

Since I've got the U Joint issue to figure out, I'll furlough this one for awhile.

Spoke to Mr. Henderson today who works on driveshafts - he says if the connectors are "V" shaped on top of the U Joints, they may be shot - will make sure drive shaft nuts are tight - they sure should be - will check.

Will order a new cable - thanks as always!

It's supposed to be optimistic.

It is by design optimistic.

Attachments

• 6200102.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 32
Not entirely sure on the inards of your speedo assembly, but mine displayed the characteristic jumpiness and cable checked out fine - but little nylon gearing within the speedometer head were not (and dry)
I found replacement gear set on inward level from local shop and replace. The wear pattern on those was rather subtle, almost needed a mag glass to see the damage. I don't remember reading any other people's advice on lube service for those, but I have added to my routine long term list.

Not entirely sure on the inards of your speedo assembly, but mine displayed the characteristic jumpiness and cable checked out fine - but little nylon gearing within the speedometer head were not (and dry)
I found replacement gear set on inward level from local shop and replace. The wear pattern on those was rather subtle, almost needed a mag glass to see the damage. I don't remember reading any other people's advice on lube service for those, but I have added to my routine long term list.

Speedo/Tach unit was serviced in December by Terry Vrla - he does good work - will try servicing cable first - bike has 80k on it and is 40 years old (she runs & looks good for 40 :) )

Back