• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anyone have experience with OlympiaMotosports Textile Jackets?

Olympia textil jackets

For good prices and service go to Telico Motorcycle Outfitters, Mike , the owner is very helpful in the info you are concerned with... The store is located in Telico Plains, Tn. a small town at the edge of the Smokie Mountains... Mike is a long time rider...full of information selling good products and providing excellent service at good prices...tell him tinkertoy sent you

I'm considering buying one of their jackets that was rated in Motorcycle Rider Magazine. They are on the East coast and I live in California. There are no dealers out here that carry Olympia Motosports stuff. They were willing to ship directly but I'm still a bit skepical about the company and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this company.

Recommendations for other vented textile jackets would be good too:) :)

I no longer remember the jacket model but I have owned this Olympia for almost 4 1/2 years. I commute on the bike and pretty much ride daily so it is fair to say this jacket has been worn thousands of miles and hundreds of times. Ditto on the liner. If it gets really hot and rainy I will sometimes wear just the liner. The liner rocks as you are kept 100% dry in jacket or out of jacket. I think the jacket is great and would not hesitate buying another Olympia. My Gerbing fits under the rain liner and a plain liner which come with the jacket. I have commuted I don't know how many times in temp's as low as 16 degrees and I will stay nice and toasty for the 20-minute 70 mph commute.

untitled-1-2-2.jpg <blank> untitled-2-2.jpg

Olympia gear is good stuff for the price point- quite commonly used in our local club. Often picked by folk whose personal economics would allow them to buy more expensive stuff if they wished.

Re rain gear- the best choice (unless you use one of the high tech laminates which are as good) is external GoreTex. Don't let your spouse ride in pvc- it sucks- worse than nothing when its hot.
FrogTogs work but are relatively flimsy and not for years of use. My GoreTex jacket is about 30 years old and went though another storm yesterday with no issues. BTW, BMW Pro Summer GoreTex lined gloves are great for rain riding though a bit too hot for summer otherwise.

Re textile gear, a step up from Olympia is RevIt and for the most rugged GoreTex laminates there is Klim's higher end stuff. Still can't beat leather for abrasion resistance but for overall flexibility touring most of the world has gone textile. Most of my stuff is RevIt/Klim/Aerostich.

I have 2 mesh jackets for touring, one is an Olympia in hi-viz yellow, waist length, with water proof liner and a quilted liner for the cold The other is a Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket in hi-viz yellow also with 2 liners for rain and the cold. Both jackets have armor in the back, shoulders, and elbows. Worn with wicking underwear and the rain liner along with a Camelback I have ridden in high heat (95+ deg) low humidity and have been comfortable after pouring water down my front and back at the neck. In FL high heat/humidity I have had luck using just the mesh jacket (no liner) but you need to be moving. If traveling over 100 miles in the FL summer I wear a BMW Venting Machine jacket and use a Camelback. I remember riding home from the Bloomsburg Rally through some pretty stiff rain showers near Columbia, SC (mesh jacket no liners) and thinking how nice the cool rain felt. The cars that passed me were probably feeling sorry for the biker in the rain but I was happy for the break from the heat. I have tried Frog's Togs and they work well but when touring across country I try to pack as little as possible and the mesh jackets with liners work in the heat, cold, and wet.

RIDE SAFE

Back