• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oil seepage!!! 1985 K-100

Preacherboy

lm trying to find a quick fix!!!,,,,,,,,,lve spent a lot of money in my restoration project of a 1985 K-100 and lm spent on patience,,cash,,and my agg level is thru the roof!!!,,,lm now having oil seepage issues from the block below the manifold and head covers,,,,lm sure its the gasket cover where the allen screws attach to the upper block of the "brick",,,,,,,,,,,is there an additive that l could add to the crank that will help seal this gasket and stop the "weeping of oil" from the allen screws???,,,,l heard that a teaspoonful full of DOT 3 brake oil just might resolve the issue!!!! even if its a temporary fix!!!,,,,,,,I don't want to tear off another gasket to make it right at this time!!!!! please help!!!!:banghead

Last edited by a moderator:
lm trying to find a quick fix!!!,,,,,,,,,lve spent a lot of money in my restoration project of a 1985 K-100 and lm spent on patience,,cash,,and my agg level is thru the roof!!!,,,lm now having oil seepage issues from the block below the manifold and head covers,,,,lm sure its the gasket cover where the allen screws attach to the upper block of the "brick",,,,,,,,,,,is there an additive that l could add to the crank that will help seal this gasket and stop the "weeping of oil" from the allen screws???,,,,l heard that a teaspoonful full of DOT 3 brake oil just might resolve the issue!!!! even if its a temporary fix!!!,,,,,,,I don't want to tear off another gasket to make it right at this time!!!!! please help!!!!:banghead

Wrong forum, sir. You want this posted in Flying Brick K Bike but not sure adding brake fluid to engine oil will have any positive effect on your issue.

Do you mean it's leaking from the valve cover gasket on the left, and the crank cover gasket on the right?

Or do you mean between the black, finned oil sump that hangs down on the bottom, and the block above?

If it's the first one, did you replace the rubber bushings around the screws? If not, that's your culprit.

If it's the second one, I don't believe there's a gasket between the oil sump and the block; just sealant.

Don't

Please don't add brake fluid to your motor oil. No good can come from it.
If you're a gambler, got to the auto parts store and by every oil additive which has "miracle" on the label. They likely will not fix the problem, but by the time you've gone thru trying all of them, you'll have come to the conclusion that actually fixing the problem is the best approach.

JamsinCA is right, there is no gasket between the oil sump cover and the section above it. Yah it would be a drag to have to drain the oil, clean it all up TOTALLY and put the sealant on and then retorque everything, and refill with oil. But, with all you have invested in time and money and patience, maybe that is the right thing to do. My K1200RS started doing that at some point after I did the clutch and all those seals. Or maybe it was after it fell over and cracked the valve cover and I had to replace that. Regardless, there was no way to stop the oil coming out. Mine was not a lot, but it began to get on the rear tire :uhoh . Like you I was sort of tired of it at that point, but it just had to be done.

My 88 K75 weeps oil out of most seams now, and the rear seal and oil pump. I can't complain, the poor thing is 25 years old with 72K miles.

Anything you add to your oil to stop leakage is likely to do more harm than good in the long run. Nothing goes in my crankcase but pure oil.

Back