• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1996 K1100RS leaking oil

MOONDOG59

Coming from seep hole (can u say rear
main seal?). Does the multitude of riders
think over filling with oil can cause it to
"over flow" through the seal? I had to drain
a cup and some to see the level in sight
glass

Well a cup over isn't likely to trigger a seal leak- IF that's what it is. Any chance its dripping from elsewhere?

Overfilling the oil in most engines can cause problems, that's why there is a full mark on a dipstick or sight glass. When overfull, the crank throws will dip into the oil causing airation of the oil and increasing the oil temperature and crankcase pressure. None of those are good for an engine. In some cases, the increasesd crankcase pressure can cause seal leaks. Also some power will be lost.

Maybe you will get lucky just by returning the level to the correct height , maybe not.:dunno

Why was it over filled???

:dance:dance:dance

Aliens invaded my garage overnight, read my maintenance manual for the proper oil, found some on my shelf and filled her up.

I really don't need to answer that question do I?

Here's your sign....

You must forget that the possibilities include dealers and service shops.

You imply that YOU over filled the oil, then YOU did not check the sight glass, then YOU rode it that way??

The sign, my friend, must belong to you.:deal

:dance:dance:dance

Long story....and guilty as charged. Luckily it wasn't more than it was. My comment was being facetious and a clown. No offense meant.

Well a cup over isn't likely to trigger a seal leak- IF that's what it is. Any chance its dripping from elsewhere?

No, leaking from seep hole. I just finished putting trany back on so drive shaft may have had something to do with it. A whole new level of maintenance for me so I am pleading no contest...
And then again I am fixing stuff from a mechanic in Florida, who I find out after the fact says "that he hates working on K-bikes" (not me). Not many miles on it since then so who knows. It is now filed as a project on my to-do list.

Back