• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RECALL: NHTSA Recall ID No. 13v279000 BMW 2013 F700GS and F800GS

mika

Still Wondering
RECALL NHTSA Recall ID No. 13v279000 BMW 2013 F700 GS and F800 GS
BMW of North America (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2013 F700 GS and F800 GS motorcycles manufactured June 1, 2012, through October 18, 2012. The side-stand switch that prevents the engine from running while the side-stand is down may become damaged allowing the engine to run with the side-stand down.

Recall

I'm expecting delivery of my 2013 F700GS in the next few days. It's coming from the dealership so I hope they are on top of it.

side stand switch

I wish they had this recall prior to last winter. Going through a heavy rain storm in November the switch got extremely wet thus killing the engine. I was able to limp until the rain stopped then everything was ok. Nothing like loosing an engine while in a wet curve and downshifting.

Just a reminder about wet wires -
Some auto parts stores sell a product called Ignition Kote - this is a clear spray-on protective coating that shields against water intrusion. It's actually intended for the spark plug wires, and I've used it to get an airhead running in a severe Utah downpour, but it will stick to just about anything.
I don't know if it would be a good idea for a temporary sidstand switch fix, though; it may penetrate enough to insulate the desired contacts.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread...

Do I understand correctly that an F700GS cannot be started while the sidestand is down?

Are all model years like this, or just the 2013? Or did the recall remedy correct this?

I believe that it cannot be started/run with the sidestand down while in gear, but it can be if in neutral. Others may correct this if I recall incorrectly.

I believe that it cannot be started/run with the sidestand down while in gear, but it can be if in neutral. Others may correct this if I recall incorrectly.

That is correct. You can start and idle in neutral but the engine will cut off if you put it in gear. I just had that happen to me; I tried to get going several times before I realized I had the kickstand down. I really thought it was up for some reason. Perhaps a Senior Moment. :p

That is correct. You can start and idle in neutral but the engine will cut off if you put it in gear. I just had that happen to me; I tried to get going several times before I realized I had the kickstand down. I really thought it was up for some reason. Perhaps a Senior Moment. :p

Thanks for the confirmation. The way the safety recall info was presented, it seemed to suggest differently.

I prefer this arrangement and it is what I am used to.:thumb

Thanks for the confirmation. The way the safety recall info was presented, it seemed to suggest differently.

I prefer this arrangement and it is what I am used to.:thumb

The recall is saying that with a bad switch you might ride away with the stand down which would be a safety issue so get your defective switch replaced.

The recall is saying that with a bad switch you might ride away with the stand down which would be a safety issue so get your defective switch replaced.

Yup, got it, thanks.

I was going by the recall summary language (bolded below). It seems they could have been more clear if they had said instead “...from running while in gearwith the sidestand down....”

RECALL NHTSA Recall ID No. 13v279000 BMW 2013 F700 GS and F800 GS
BMW of North America (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2013 F700 GS and F800 GS motorcycles manufactured June 1, 2012, through October 18, 2012. The side-stand switch that prevents the engine from running while the side-stand is down may become damaged allowing the engine to run with the side-stand down.

Back