• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200RT 12K Service Cost

Service Cost

Might be a little high but as some have said when we're gone one day what did it matter?
I know I've been riding over 40 yrs and with the amount of hours I put in per week at work
I neither have the time or desire to do my own maintenance. I break it down to this, 10,000
miles per year on a bike I paid $19,000 for if it costs me $15 or $20 a week to take care of it
OK. The smile my RT puts on my face is worth it. Just my opinion.

This might be hard to believe for some but if you service a few hundred RT's a year I can guarantee you will find some candidates that need a valve adjustment at any of the stated mileage intervals.

I've now done six services (6000 mile) and not needed to change a valve clearance since the 600 mile service.

I have had an '05 R12RT, '10 R12R and now the '11 R12RT all serviced by BMW dealers in South Florida and Daytona with a variety of service intervals and the cost has been significantly less for similar work. That's why I was a bit surprised at their cost and I let them know. Their response was that the camhead engines are more costly to maintain especially at the 12K intervals. I will check with my local dealer back home in Florida once I get back.

Had my 1st annual done about a month ago at an independent BMW mechanic in Deland. Around $470 as I recall, I had changed the oil and filter myself, he did the rest.

Bob

I have 52,000 smiles on my '08 R1200Gs and have found I don't mind taking my bike to the dealer for scheduled service. What I found is having a "home" dealership, they tend to go to bat for me in dealing with corporate, with offering discounts and a special welcoming/friendly attitude when I enter the dealership. My "home" dealership is Schlossmann BMW of Milwaukee. Surprisingly, one of the best service appointments I had was when on the road and stopped at BMW of San Jose, Costa Rica. Very high-end dealership and service manager and technician offered outstanding customer and technical service. I believe that when I spend the time and money for service at the dealership, that is returned not only in the maintenance work performed, but also in other ways. Such as when my ESA Rear shock blew the seals, out of warranty, Kent at Schlossmann's went to bat and got me a 70% return of the repair cost ($2200), so that right there are a few 6K services I have "in the bank". If I couldn't afford the maint cost, I would do it myself of course.

Plugs?

Maybe the cost is being driven up by the $18 spark plugs, NGK MAR8B-JDS. It appears to be a fairly ordinary plug, two electrodes but no exotic metals employed. Unfortunately there is no other brand equivalent for less cost. So about $80 worth of plugs. These can be had for $12 a piece from 3rd parties, still a pretty severe rip.

Hey, it could be worse though, K1600 owners get to fork out $23 a piece for 6 plugs, a whopping $140!

Heading to the rally from South Florida via Dallas TX and I had my 12K service done at the BMW Motorcycles in Plano TX. I was a bit surprised that the bill was $796. Is this reasonable for the Camheads?

Just paid $748 for same service on 7/7/13.

Back