• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1976 R75/6 Left side control switch

cseltz

Is there a wiring diagram anywhere that compares the old left side handlebar control switch with the new? I received the replacement switch and several of the wires do not match in color.

Thanks,

Chip

There are links to many wiring diagrams in the thread shown in my signature line.

Got the switch wiring figured out. That wire was grey and not violet. Now.....The only thing that will light the headlight is the "flash" position on the high/low beam switch. The rear light comes on with the ignition switch in the park position and with the ignition switch in the run position and the headlight switch in the middle position. The tail light goes off when the headlight switch is in the top (off) position and when it is in the bottom position. I will pick at it with the wiring diagram and will eventually figure it out but if anyone's experience jumps up with a quick answer that would be so much the better.

Thanks,

Chip

On the Max BMW parts fiche, for part # 01 61 31 1 243 248 COMBINATION SWITCH LEFT - L=380MM it says the following:

"On a 1975 or 1976 model, plug the green/black wire from the switch into the brown (ground) terminal on the terminal board. This new 8 wire switch replaces the old 9 wire switch. The old 9-wire switch had an un-fused red wire, to allow the rider to flash the high beam with the ignition key off. Something you might see done in an old war movie, when a rider needs to signal the ?all clear? to a submarine. Applies to high bar applications."

Or, for part # 01 61 31 1 243 247 COMBINATION SWITCH LEFT - L=230MM it says:

"Switch is equipped with a main light switch that allows you to turn the headlight on and off. On a 1975 or 1976 model, plug the green/black wire from the switch into the brown (ground) terminal on the terminal board. This new 8 wire switch replaces the old 9 wire switch. Applies to low bar applications."

Not sure which one you have and hope this helps.

Barron

Not sure which one you have and hope this helps.

I have the high bar 380mm wire. I believe the only difference is the length of the wires. I did identify the green/black vs. brown wire. I did mistake the color of the grey wire but figured that out. I am wondering if the headlight relay is bad since the tail light works and the head light does not. I am not sure how the switch is supposed to function (3 position; off/what/what).

After looking at the wiring diagram (several actually), it looks like the parking lights position on the switch is working. There is no wire connecting the circuit board in the headlight shell to the parking light socket on the head light. The tail light comes on in the "parking lights" position. In the full on position, nothing comes on. That suggests to me that the headlight relay is not working. The tail light goes through the headlight relay in the full on position but not in the park position. Does this make sense to anyone else? Also, does it make sense to try and "shunt" the relay across the terminals that are supposed to close to confirm that the relay has failed?

Thanks,

Chip

Back