• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

With that kind of rig he could have had a bus as his “toad”. :ha
I’m itching to head out in my rig.
OM

Actually, he does have a small school bus that he sometimes uses as a toad, depending on where he's going and what he's hauling.

Actually, he does have a small school bus that he sometimes uses as a toad, depending on where he's going and what he's hauling.

I’m in NH a lot, looks like the kind of mechanical craftsman I enjoy meeting :thumb
OM

Chinese two-cycle diesel turbo charged with nitrous no doubt. I love this stuff.

No nitrous (yet). I think he has enough trouble keeping it together without that. :)

The bike is built on a stretched Katana frame with the Chinese diesel and a Harley gearbox & clutch. The rest of it is a mixture of stuff, a lot of which he fabricated himself. Last time I heard, tho, he was planning to retire it, he thinks he's gotten as much out of it as he can. He was talking about something with a VW diesel engine and a custom frame. Who know what he'll come up with, not much would surprise me.

The Kenworth has been modified quite bit also. He's a retired long haul trucker which might partly explain why he went that route....

Thanks for posting this Mark. When I saw Steve's picture, I just couldn't figure out the theory behind the rig i.e. there's a 1,000 + foot pounds of torque available, to perform a small amount of work. :)

Thanks for posting this Mark. When I saw Steve's picture, I just couldn't figure out the theory behind the rig i.e. there's a 1,000 + foot pounds of torque available, to perform a small amount of work. :)

If you have ever been riding up a nice winding curvy hill behind a guy with a big RV and a truck with a little engine you will appreciate the notion of "big motor." It is hard to have too much motor. Like they say about fuel, you never have too much fuel unless you are on fire. :)

This thread has been kinda quiet....Of course with the weather and fires around- it doesn't really surprise me. My friend is due in tomorrow for a visit and a bit of service with his 45' motorhome. The M11 Cummins is one of the big ones. The oil change is around 44 quarts.
Fall is coming and I am really looking forward to getting mine out in more reasonable weather.
OM

Sooner or later Maintenance......If it lasts that long

The worst thing about an Airstream is that stuff wears out and you have to do RR maintenance rather than just throw the rig away...…..After umpteen thousands of miles and 30 years it's time to do some bottom end replacement...…….AXLES...….

Attachments

• axle beginning.jpg
    axle beginning.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 166
Well worth it Dennis and a lot easier (obtaining parts) than it used to be. Your rig looks like new......I know what that takes.
Gary

Yes, Gary, for sure it is easier than in the past......lol....example....a few months ago, the controller/board on the hot water heater went out. In the past it would be a for sure pull the heater and replace for several hundred. NOW....do some tests, factory sponsored, and wah lah, it's the board and for less than $100, slap on the new one and Mamma is happily washing her hair. ……
Should I go into the exterior overhaul, flooring, LP heater, and more????……….NOTHING lasts forever without MAINTENANCE......But doesn't it look grand and worth all of that...….THANKS again Gary :wave :hug

I just ordered this hitch carrier for (mostly) the motorhome-

VH-SPORTRO-2T.jpg

from Discount Ramps- https://www.discountramps.com/hd-motorcycle-carrier/p/VH-SPORTMC/

I've been looking at them for quite some time and while a bit more than I wanted to spend, it must be an omen :) as when I checked today, it was some sort of flash sale equalling 15% off and free shipping :thumb

Not exactly sure how it was/is going to work out, went for the 600lb capacity unit. One reviewer mentioned that they had hauled a F800GS 5000 miles with it so far and was very happy.

Hope for the best.

OM

Interesting Thread and great timing

Little Background:
I've been planning on a RV trip in the USA for the past year or so. The plan is to have my two younger kids take a GAP year ( Aug. 2020 to Apr. 2021) from school and spend it touring the USA. I Plan on beginning the tour in Glacier N.P. in Sept. and working my way South through Yellowstone N.P. before heavy winter begins and then on to other parts in between the West and East Coast . I want to begin in Sept. to miss the summer crowds and have a more pleasant and leisurely trip.

They ( my two younger girls) spent the first few years of their life in the U.S. but I brought them here to Taiwan to learn the language and how to read and write Chinese. They (and my wife) have not been back to the USA since 2012; I think a trip to introduce them back to America is in order. I plan on them going to high school in Texas when that time comes.

Questions:
My question is about motor homes choices. I have read just about everything I can on the internet but still not sure about size. I'm not sure whether to go as small ( B class or C under 24') as possible where I can park in most spaces in N.P.'s and not have to pull a toad OR get a larger RV (29'-34') and have more living room (which might be smart for a whole year) but have to pull a toad in order to explore after reaching the Parks. Anyway, I'm not sure which way to go on that. I know I do not want to pull a RV; that much I do know. I plan on buying a used RV sometime in 2019 and making sure all systems, tires, brakes, engine, etc. are in good order before I bring family over. I have home in South Tex.; older daughter in North Tex and older daughter near D.C. that we will also stay, so won't be in RV all the time.

Any suggestions, pros and cons or experience in the above would be appreciated. The plan is to spend somewhere between 10k and 25k on a used B or C class with gas engine. I would rather go as simple as possible. It seems a lot of class c rv's are fords with the v10 engines. I have read many negative comments about the v10's blowing spark plugs because lack of threads in v10 block. Any experience with that would be helpful. Thank you.

Little Background:
I've been planning on a RV trip in the USA for the past year or so. The plan is to have my two younger kids take a GAP year ( Aug. 2020 to Apr. 2021) from school and spend it touring the USA. I Plan on beginning the tour in Glacier N.P. in Sept. and working my way South through Yellowstone N.P. before heavy winter begins and then on to other parts in between the West and East Coast . I want to begin in Sept. to miss the summer crowds and have a more pleasant and leisurely trip.

They ( my two younger girls) spent the first few years of their life in the U.S. but I brought them here to Taiwan to learn the language and how to read and write Chinese. They (and my wife) have not been back to the USA since 2012; I think a trip to introduce them back to America is in order. I plan on them going to high school in Texas when that time comes.
Very cool :thumb

Questions:
My question is about motor homes choices. I have read just about everything I can on the internet but still not sure about size. I'm not sure whether to go as small ( B class or C under 24') as possible where I can park in most spaces in N.P.'s and not have to pull a toad OR get a larger RV (29'-34') and have more living room (which might be smart for a whole year) but have to pull a toad in order to explore after reaching the Parks. Anyway, I'm not sure which way to go on that. I know I do not want to pull a RV; that much I do know. I plan on buying a used RV sometime in 2019 and making sure all systems, tires, brakes, engine, etc. are in good order before I bring family over. I have home in South Tex.; older daughter in North Tex and older daughter near D.C. that we will also stay, so won't be in RV all the time.
Good questions......I think you will be better of in something in the 30' range. From you description, a Class C is probably your first look-see. I have Toad a vehicle and found it to be a PITA. I would rather use a trailer as it takes a lot of problems out of the equation one being backing up!
I can tell you that they are not an investment so buying used is a good idea. They are pretty much all built with the same appliances/features in the 30' size range. When you look, if the floor plan looks great as you first walk in, that is important. The next important place is the bathroom. I think you will find tank(s) capacities about the sam in that size. I can also recommend a slide out. The 30" or so doesn't sound like much but it is.

Any suggestions, pros and cons or experience in the above would be appreciated. The plan is to spend somewhere between 10k and 25k on a used B or C class with gas engine. I would rather go as simple as possible. It seems a lot of class c rv's are fords with the v10 engines. I have read many negative comments about the v10's blowing spark plugs because lack of threads in v10 block. Any experience with that would be helpful. Thank you.
Well, I bought a Chevy chassis with an 8.1 to skip the Ford problems and ended up with other problems...To be fair, probably caused by the RV builder and not by Chevy- but it was bad. I think Ford has got past the spark plug problem (two-piece?) and they are back on track but good to watch the MFG years on that one.
Happy to answer any questions I can.
Gary

Thanks Gary aka Omega Man

I always been a Chevy guy but it seems most of these C classes are Fords. I have it narrowed down to a early model Ford Falcon B class which can sleep two kids up top and two adults below. It's not big but the kids and wife are all small; I'm probably the only one who would be tripping over them self. Or a 27' Lazy Daze C class with the lounge in the rear and a mid bath. Or a low mileage 90 to 94 Toyota 21' RV with a rear lounge. I'm leaning a little more toward the Toyota because of the engine. I like the size of he Lazy Daze for comfort and I can find one with a rear lounge which I like, but the cost and gas will be about double. But that part is not the deal breaker.

Do you think with a 27' RV that you could get around easy enough once you get to a destination with out having to have a small car? And then I think about, what if I have a breakdown on the RV; I would need a toad in that regard.

So, lots of things to think about.Though I might think about it aloud on the Forum and get a push in one way or the other.

I really don't want to fool with a slide out or toad for that matter but if I go with a27' or 30' I'll probably have to. I think I'll just go to bed; it's 1am here.

Having a few miles, like MANY others on here, there are lots of thoughts about what you are asking. I had a whole booklet written about the Ford V-10 situation, but your comments in the latest reply by you throws those out the window. I truly dont think that Toyota makes an engine that can compare with the Ford; but that's your deal I guess.

As far as the type of living space. Think about pulling into a crowded parking lot, like the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon, and then consider what it's going to be like pulling in a box truck and trying to park in the narrow slots there. For me, that's a bit much and it's typical with what you will face at most places. For me, a trailer with a very strong truck cannot be beat; but the world is full of both styles. I haven't even heard a discussion of diesels, which are a way to get lots of strength to pull whatever you need.

The length of whatever you get is going to really limit you as to where you can go. 29' is the longest that MANY places will accept for you to stay overnight. I am thinking of an RV Park in Everglades city, that is THE place for getting into the water or just hanging out and like many they take nothing over that footage. Then there are many places that anything larger is just REALLY TO LARGE to get between the trees Discounting a slide-out is, to me a MUST HAVE if you have 2 children to find room for when considering their activities. I assume that you will do a bit of home schooling as you travel through geologic and historic places and the children will at least do Jr. Ranger learning activities and there will be a need for space to store and work on what they are learing and going to turn in for their badges. That room that a slide-out provides for bed and activity space cannot be ignored or just sluffed of with a shrug. …..But that is your choice

MANY MANY THINGS TO CONSIDER HERE.....Good luck...…..Dennis

Having a few miles, like MANY others on here, there are lots of thoughts about what you are asking. I had a whole booklet written about the Ford V-10 situation, but your comments in the latest reply by you throws those out the window. I truly dont think that Toyota makes an engine that can compare with the Ford; but that's your deal I guess.

As far as the type of living space. Think about pulling into a crowded parking lot, like the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon, and then consider what it's going to be like pulling in a box truck and trying to park in the narrow slots there. For me, that's a bit much and it's typical with what you will face at most places. For me, a trailer with a very strong truck cannot be beat; but the world is full of both styles. I haven't even heard a discussion of diesels, which are a way to get lots of strength to pull whatever you need.

The length of whatever you get is going to really limit you as to where you can go. 29' is the longest that MANY places will accept for you to stay overnight. I am thinking of an RV Park in Everglades city, that is THE place for getting into the water or just hanging out and like many they take nothing over that footage. Then there are many places that anything larger is just REALLY TO LARGE to get between the trees Discounting a slide-out is, to me a MUST HAVE if you have 2 children to find room for when considering their activities. I assume that you will do a bit of home schooling as you travel through geologic and historic places and the children will at least do Jr. Ranger learning activities and there will be a need for space to store and work on what they are learing and going to turn in for their badges. That room that a slide-out provides for bed and activity space cannot be ignored or just sluffed of with a shrug. …..But that is your choice

MANY MANY THINGS TO CONSIDER HERE.....Good luck...…..Dennis

:thumb

I always been a Chevy guy but it seems most of these C classes are Fords. I have it narrowed down to a early model Ford Falcon B class which can sleep two kids up top and two adults below. It's not big but the kids and wife are all small; I'm probably the only one who would be tripping over them self. Or a 27' Lazy Daze C class with the lounge in the rear and a mid bath. Or a low mileage 90 to 94 Toyota 21' RV with a rear lounge. I'm leaning a little more toward the Toyota because of the engine. I like the size of he Lazy Daze for comfort and I can find one with a rear lounge which I like, but the cost and gas will be about double. But that part is not the deal breaker.
I'm not familiar with the Falcon- in the RV sense :) I have limited knowledge on the Lazy Daze which is somewhat like the Born Free, both have been highly regarded in the RV world and as I mentioned, appliances such as stove, water heater, furnace are pretty much universal. On the Toyota, real small but you can always have a look. Any of these "older units" should probably be sourced from a non- salt area as the rust will complicate things exponentially.

Do you think with a 27' RV that you could get around easy enough once you get to a destination with out having to have a small car? And then I think about, what if I have a breakdown on the RV; I would need a toad in that regard.

I don't think you will have any trouble getting around at all. The biggest consideration is having to "pack up" every time you need to move or run to the store. The posts in consideration of parking size raise a point.....I think if you are up in the Northeast you will find parking a pickup a bit tight in lined spaces. My new Nissan NV3500P really doesn't fit in any lined spaces. They changed the sizes for "little" cars and if your in the "little" cars, it all seems fine :hungover

So, lots of things to think about.Though I might think about it aloud on the Forum and get a push in one way or the other.

I really don't want to fool with a slide out or toad for that matter but if I go with a27' or 30' I'll probably have to. I think I'll just go to bed; it's 1am here.

In the age bracket you seem to be looking, it's sorta pre-slide era. The slide is worth looking at and not a horrible PITA.

OM

Little Background:

Questions:

I purchased a new 2017 Minnie Winnie Winnebago M22 motorhome last year. It is on the E450 chassis with the v10. I spent a lot of time on the RV Forums looking for information before I made a purchase. It is important to decide all of your needs first, before you purchase. I have towed trailers and a fifth wheel. Then I decided I wanted to tow a boat. So, for 22 years I owned 2 different pickup campers. My last one had a slide out and was on a Dodge diesel, duel rear wheel, 4x4. Loved it! Wife started having knee issues that lead to a knee replacement. Climbing in and out of the back, over the hitch of what ever we were towing became a problem. That put us in a motorhome. Staying small was important to us. We go places that have a 22ft limit. Also, our at home storage space is maxed out at 24ft. I do tow a jeep. (Boat is long gone) Having a vehicle with the capacity to carry, pull and stop with out exceeding your GVWR, is important to me. I go to the Sierra Mountain range a lot. Having the horse power to get into the mountains without dogging it was also important. Hello V10. Standard Oil Company put me on their Christmas list!

There are horror stories from all brands of motors. From past experience with Ford many years ago, I am not really a Ford guy. That being said, all that I have read and what my home independent mechanics have told me, is that the Ford V10 is a solid engine. Should give many years of good reliable service if taken care of. I think you will find the same with the Chevy chassis. I bought the Ford because it was easier to find a E450 chassis with the model of motorhome I wanted. I spent 2 months on the road starting last April 3rd. From California to Duluth Minnesota we got mileage as low as 6.25 and as high as 10.0 while pulling our jeep the whole way. Pulling grades, 50 mph head winds, and road speeds over 60 mph all are huge mileage factors. Without towing the jeep, that mileage climbs by 1 to 2 mpg.

John

I purchased a new 2017 Minnie Winnie Winnebago M22 motorhome last year. It is on the E450 chassis with the v10. I spent a lot of time on the RV Forums looking for information before I made a purchase. It is important to decide all of your needs first, before you purchase. I have towed trailers and a fifth wheel. Then I decided I wanted to tow a boat. So, for 22 years I owned 2 different pickup campers. My last one had a slide out and was on a Dodge diesel, duel rear wheel, 4x4. Loved it! Wife started having knee issues that lead to a knee replacement. Climbing in and out of the back, over the hitch of what ever we were towing became a problem. That put us in a motorhome. Staying small was important to us. We go places that have a 22ft limit. Also, our at home storage space is maxed out at 24ft. I do tow a jeep. (Boat is long gone) Having a vehicle with the capacity to carry, pull and stop with out exceeding your GVWR, is important to me. I go to the Sierra Mountain range a lot. Having the horse power to get into the mountains without dogging it was also important. Hello V10. Standard Oil Company put me on their Christmas list!

There are horror stories from all brands of motors. From past experience with Ford many years ago, I am not really a Ford guy. That being said, all that I have read and what my home independent mechanics have told me, is that the Ford V10 is a solid engine. Should give many years of good reliable service if taken care of. I think you will find the same with the Chevy chassis. I bought the Ford because it was easier to find a E450 chassis with the model of motorhome I wanted. I spent 2 months on the road starting last April 3rd. From California to Duluth Minnesota we got mileage as low as 6.25 and as high as 10.0 while pulling our jeep the whole way. Pulling grades, 50 mph head winds, and road speeds over 60 mph all are huge mileage factors. Without towing the jeep, that mileage climbs by 1 to 2 mpg.

John
Nice that your Winnebago experience has been good....mine, not so much. That E450 chassis is probably a great match for that motorhome- you could post a picture?
None that I know are the picture of economy as far as fuel goes but some of the conveniences, when there has been a good day of travel and you find a good spot to "camp" :thumb :thumb
OM

Back