• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

As an aside, I tried using a “wheels down/flat towed” vehicle. With the inability to back up more that 6” and the specific transmission requirements not to mention the electrical (battery) considerations, I would suggest to people now that ask, putting the “toad” on a trailer.
YMMV
OM

As an aside, I tried using a “wheels down/flat towed” vehicle. With the inability to back up more that 6” and the specific transmission requirements not to mention the electrical (battery) considerations, I would suggest to people now that ask, putting the “toad” on a trailer.

I considered that because I didn't want to sell my Subaru WRX, which can't be flat-towed. I could also put my Tacoma in it with a bike in the bed (somewhat risky haul...)

The problem with a car/truck on a trailer is that the trailer is HUGE and doesn't fit into anything but the chock-a-block pull-through campsites inhabited by 50' long rigs. Not my kind of "crowd" :D

But you're right... we bought that older CR-V because after 2014 they could not be flat towed, due to a CV transmission. I hope I can deal with the not-backing-up situation... with the toad, I will always be traveling with my wife.

That, and I cannot stand Jeeps. :ha

Thanks for the kind replies. We completely lucked out on the color scheme - I like it as well. We were lucky most of all that the bus had been repainted as original paint from that RV would've looked like crap. The seats/couches had also been recovered/updated, so our overhaul of it ended up being some aesthetic, and then some mandatory when a water leak and major floor rot forced us to tear into things. If you're looking for ideas on RV customizations, I have a bunch. :)

Regarding a toad vs. trailered vehicle, I wasn't super in favor of the toad option because the only vehicle we had that could be used for one was my 2017 Ram 3500 diesel (which actually has more horsepower than the bus). We ended up buying the Land Rover specifically as a toad, which I didn't want to do as we had enough vehicles. But we've really enjoyed the "adventure car" and it's been great. The lack of backing up is annoying, but in 30k+ miles I've only had two times (both my fault) when I've had to disconnect the car because I misjudged and needed to back up when I couldn't. I think the overall inconvenience of that is way lower than the inconvenience of having to stash a trailer (not to mention buying one) that I would've otherwise had. We liked to boondock a lot and so ability to be compact in those locations helps a great deal.

The inability to bring a motorcycle with the toad is an annoyance, but given that we've always gone places as a family, not enough of one to really matter. I wouldn't realistically ride separately from everyone else. When the kids get older and my wife and I start making RV trips ourselves, we'll probably then just trailer the bikes.

H got a call from new owners insurance asking for pictures at sale… The rig is now residing on TX/OK border and got a recent hailstorm :eek They will pay their claim after that exchange. I had taken every possible angle including roof and undercarriage just in case!
We kept it , and other units, under awning unless in use to control environmental issues as much as possible. We see so many parked out in open and always wonder about sun and hail exposure long term. Had a bud replace skylights and a/c cover several times. Realize it’s not an option for most owners.

Still strange seeing empty bay next to shop

This morning on The RVers, there was what was supposed to be a segment on how good RV service can be. Having been involved for years, it’s was really a segment on how and why having an RV repaired is so problematic……..even and especially with warranty issues/work.
OM

Tow vehicles

Instead of what I may pull, maintenance of the tugboat way up there. Have kept up with general maintenance and very few issues on current truck… that said…

After a year of several 1200 mile round trips either pulling our now gone Toyhauler or cargo trailer and more runs to come, putting some serious miles on my 02 3/4 ton Cummins Dodge. Replaced front hubs and brakes OCT21 and some control arm bushings. Probably 10k miles later, just got truck back with complete front end rehab. Everything but shocks as they were new a few months back. The last run home I heard a lot of rattles though steering felt normal.
Mileage 210K.
Drove home in a completely new truck! Not a rattle or bang or noises when turning and it seems much tighter in feel. The tech said one of the control arms was sketchy and looking at old parts I kinda swallowed hard seeing the total amount of wear. Every bushing was due to say the least. Looks like a new truck down there

Was fine with price as the price of new truck makes that a no brainer.
Don’t use the truck as a daily driver unless I need to haul something typically, so a new truck just isn’t on the list. Will keep this tractor a bit longer! Figure 300K and will revisit.

Had almost made one more trip but had that gut feeling that I needed to do something now. I had passed a late model 3/4 Ford with similar sized trailer as mine my last return trip along the center barrier blocking fast lane with front wheel folded under his truck :eek. Yeah… that could be me as my truck is maybe twenty years older.

Anyways, don’t overlook the part in front of the trailer! Safe towing!

Steve, this is a great resource for all trucks Cummins powered-

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Geno’s garage (part of TDR) is a great source for both aftermarket and OEM parts.

I did shocks all around and steering stabilizer recently on my 2003 SRW 3500 4X4 and yeah, it makes a difference.

OM

Thanks

I looked at scope of this repair and definitely glad I let the local guy do all of that and alignment in a day
I’d still be beating on something about now :lol
Even had them do the serpentine as that has bamboozled me on occasion. :dunno

Go Dodge!

Thanks

I looked at scope of this repair and definitely glad I let the local guy do all of that and alignment in a day
I’d still be beating on something about now :lol
Even had them do the serpentine as that has bamboozled me on occasion. :dunno

Go Dodge!

The serpentine belt is a crazy swap for sure. When I replaced the steering linkage parts on mine- later there was a recall, I did a Redneck alignment here in the yard. :brad
When I end up doing ball joints, the beating will start. I will do both drive axels as assemblies.
OM

Back