• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I've had to winterize for the first time this year. Since we use our 5er as a "winter home" it's in use in southern climes in the winter and stored in the summer. This year we aren't going to venture out because of the virus. Not thrilled about it after growing up in northern PA and then 20 years in the AF in garden spots like North Dakota, Alaska, northern (far north!) New York, and Germany, it seems like Ohio wouldn't be so bad, but once I retired I promised myself that I'd suffer as little more of the cold stuff as possible. Durn virus!

We've had a couple of different units, but we're thoroughly enjoying the Titanium 5th wheel. It tows easily, has enough space for us and the dog for three to four months at a time, and is paid for. I've been able to make several very agreeable modifications and it's a keeper. Since Mrs doesn't ride the MC doesn't go along but maybe that'll change some day.

87DA2B31-34A7-431C-9D31-502683FFBD1D_1_201_a.jpg

I remember the Titanium brand. They always looked like a well built rig.
OM
Yeah, we feel fortunate to have found it. They were made from '02 through '09 and then, unfortunately they went out of business. They were made in Canada, very high quality and actually has real insulation unlike most trailers. Admittedly it's older but we bought it from the original owners and we've tried to meet or exceed their level of TLC. I've seen much newer trailers that aren't as solid and haven't held up as well.

We did venture out for annual NW Arkansas trip in late October. The AR Covid numbers looked low where we were basing out of so we didn’t cancel reservations and loaded up.

Since upgrading to larger unit, we were able to self contain and not have to use park facilities, though they were diligent about cleaning and rotating individual pods. Our previous Toyhauler had a small bathroom and while OK, having bigger shower is really nice now.
This was our second big run in this unit and all systems and upgrades we added were trouble free. Last year the temps were in twenties two nights and worries about frozen stuff in a new to us unit not knowing it’s habits caused a bit of stress.
We checked in online and didn’t encounter any uncomfortable crowds at the two state parks in both TX and AR. Both states were keeping one rotating space open between sites which was good, however, that process kept us out of our usual spot on return trip as it was the barrier spot.
H’s sister has her own rig and we became a small village for almost two weeks. Since we were a group, we had connected sites. Rained three days in a row as that last, or almost last hurricane and a cold front found each other.

Now back under cover, drained, and ready to hide out in for now. :whistle
We were going to do a four day around Thanksgiving but things changed again.

18AAA17E-306A-4763-A565-5500E7C877A2.jpeg

My vintage 2003 Cummins still tugging with 170K
1E4870CA-9D25-406F-9A36-08A7066BD61C.jpeg

Off the back deck
948C84E1-CFFC-42D6-B538-CA51676C248D.jpeg

Colors weren’t as good this year, still ok to run through
A1C07461-C0A0-4194-87C4-380CC4C177C7.jpeg

No bad roads around here as well
2309A951-8ABE-4720-8918-BAB381670438.jpeg

Nice report Steve.
I would like to hear more about the new toy hauler. I recently spent around 18 hours under my ‘03 Dodge TD needle scaling, 2 coats Gemplers rust converter, 2 coats paint/primer. Only 54K on the truck hoping it keeps going for a while.
Thanks.
Gary

2014 Fuzion 26’ that H got a great deal on. The bones were good but a few things needed attention.
We wanted a front bedroom so we could leave bikes inside overnight while heading to destination. The prior hauler had a loft bed over bikes that had us unloading bikes to get to... and climbing ladders was not getting easier to get in bed

The PO has overloaded the garage and bent frame braces under area. That caused the 2” styrofoam blocks under minimal 1/8” plywood floor to break apart and have soft spots. Tore all out, added better larger cross bracing , new foam board and 3/4” decking. Added threaded plates under floor before laying down for wheel chocks. The bottom of unit was sealed from easy access to mount additional anchor points. Removed generator that was directly under bedroom ,I wasn’t crazy about fuel tank and fuel
station under RV as well with LP gas appliances. We rarely boondock and will get a portable gen for those times. Gaining storage was a plus.
She added red graphics to match truck .
Will replace countertops in kitchen and bath this winter to add some surface area.
Repacked bearings, new tires and house batteries, as well as a WD hitch to reset the confidence level of where things were.

B1E04068-77D5-48B5-8E1F-B44A2529E464.jpeg

D2D71669-DD7A-46AA-B035-BD536A23329E.jpeg

BFD01ED2-7B75-4A6C-915D-39F18DF4C201.jpeg

0FF3F2BE-43BC-43C8-815E-46DAD969170B.jpeg

9CA34C2E-538C-4092-B2D9-96EF2C340B5B.jpeg

Realllly Great TRIP Steve........!!!!

For me, can't beat the Texas State Park system.............Even better is making yourself at home in one of those locations. You get to know the sites for sure; but all the folks around in the little restaurants, stores, and yes, the sheriff . That is the way to spend the time....NOT going as fast as you can from one place to the next; but getting that feel for where you are....So glad that YOU know that little secret of life as most it seems, are in to big of a hurry to wear out those delicate tires..........God bless.......Dennis

By the way, Texas is so diverse and spread out that one can easily spend months in traveling from park to park. We did that last year over 2 months from The Big Thicket, down to the coast, and over to Ft. Davis and Big Bend. WOW!! there is still more to see........

Have been to most state parks here through the years with either parents, Scouts, HS friends, my kids and now H. TX has returned funding back from licenses and such recently and it’s starting to show up in infrastructure repairs. Still a lot of CCC era structures still in great shape but now getting some TLC.

Yeah, being able to base for a few days to weeks opens up lots of exploring options as well as slow the perceived rush of traveling. Having your “ home” nearby is pretty sweet. Rainy days aren’t all that bad :snore

I’ll find some interior shots after construction and H’s efforts

One more mechanical issue was our water heater. I had drained last year at
end of season and thought I got all calcium deposits out... it wasn’t staying hot long and was half full of sediment! I don’t think it had ever been serviced
The gas wouldn’t ignite this spring and the controller back ordered this summer, luckily it is electric as well but I hadn’t looked at anode and element. I couldn’t get the element to break loose in spite of solvent, heat and a breaker bar. Finally got hand impact and worried about breaking tank, got the thing removed after several hard whacks with ball peen. The anode was gone as well. Still waiting on gas valve, but the electric option was back to 100% and worked well.

Last edited:
Back in the 1980s use to 1] drain then 2] blow out the water systems with air. Is that still done now days?

Back in the 1980s use to 1] drain then 2] blow out the water systems with air. Is that still done now days?

Still do that with air chuck adapter on fresh water entry and bypass valve to water heater closed...LOW pressure!

I add RV antifreeze, the pink stuff, as well. Kinda nice with the Pex plumbing as you can see that everything was cleared of fresh water.
OM

Really proud of the way you have gone in that trailer and done what shouldve been done by the factory. The appliances are another story with that water heater being an example. They do wear out. Just like that water heater. How long do they last in your house......Anyway; but having to go in and replace a floor or the frame that has become bent is a common problem and is why most RV's don't last a bunch of years. Doing what you have done will bring that unit up to a standard that will have it lasting a LONG time and meet your needs like a straight factory one never will..........Anyway, it's a great thing that you have done and it's pretty much a never ending story...........How are the axles???????? Just a joke....BUT REAL.......God bless...Dennis

I add RV antifreeze, the pink stuff, as well. Kinda nice with the Pex plumbing as you can see that everything was cleared of fresh water.
OM

For me, I did that for many years in the Airstream, and then a few years ago, invested in a little on sale compressor that I stow on board. Makes up to 100 PSI in a tank. I have a fitting that goes on the water inlet. Put that on the water inlet, build up pressure on the tank to 30 PSI or so and hook the output to that inlet fitting.........Go in the trailer and open all the water valves one at a time....out comes the water for sure. DONT FORGET THE LITTLE SHOWER NOZZLE ON THE TOILET.

i do all of that and then drain the fresh water tank and hot water tank. A cup or so of the pink stuff goes into the trap on the sinks and shower and WAHHH LAHH....It's done in 10 minutes and come next use just hook some water, plug the hot water and head out............For me, easy peasy.......God bless.....Dennis

I just do it both ways Dennis. I find the overlap let’s me get everything. Flushing the toilet with the pink stuff helps the internal parts. I find the most forgotten s the outside shower followed by the water filter(s).
Hoping for a better travel year in ‘21.
OM

Thanks Dennis, definitely know it was a worthwhile repair/ upgrade that added a more solid feel to interior overall. Having gone through systems and having a fellow do a major inspection, even the axles look good... for now! :whistle
We have had good luck overall with the units we have owned. Have only needed general maintenance other than upgrade installs.
We both had sailboats and motorboats and houses on barrier islands among other life lessons, so used to some work on them to enjoy them. Oh yeah, then there are the bicycles and motorcycles:laugh

In the “He who dies with the most toys wins”, it is nice to other contenders :wave
OM

I've had this 2012 FunFinder 24' TT since 2013.

20200812_111951-L.jpg

It weighs 3,700# dry and pulls fine with my 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

I've had several different tow vehicles over the years, started with an 07 Ridgeline, then went to a 13 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost, then a 17 F150 with 3.5 EcoBoost before going back to the 19 Ridgeline.

The Ridgeline does the job, the picture was taken at 9,000 feet in the Bighorns during my Sturgis Rally Escape last August.

The F150s would both pull it easier - set the cruise at whatever speed you wanted and it maintained the speed consuming 7-9 mpg.
The Ridgeline will maintain 65 mph on level ground and maintained 50 mph going up US16 over the Bighorns running in 3rd/4th gear 4500 rpm.

SWMBO doesn't ride and doesn't complain when I do so this is a way we do stuff together.

Were I alone I'd have a Class B and tow the bike on a trailer.

Back