• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Yikes, glad you survived that Dennis!

Have seen those drop offs and only once had a scary experience where getting back to the travel lane just wasn't happening. I think about that everytime I see them now. Major hazard!

We were in Oklahoma following a horse trailer and dually when the trailer lifted several feet and I hit the brakes about the time I hit the buckled expansion joint as well. The inside of the toyhauler was a mess, not as bad as yours by miles for sure, but both bikes had jumped out of wheel chocks as the tie downs compressed and were on their sides on each other. I am sure the horses did not do well and felt for the folks who were dealing with that worse situation...I couldn't look.

Hope the Cheerios and Cheese Puffs were salvageable as well.

Yes Sir.....Gotta keep smiling with the pretty much anything by just sharing the smiles I get from HERE!!!! All of you have taught me to just count on myself and that I always have my BUDS here to back me up.....God BLESS...……..THANKS.....Dennis

On the subject of trailer sway...

My sis-in-law is storing her Minnie Winnie here and yesterday my UPS driver dropped this heavy item off.

IMG_3299.JPG
There are two more boxes I have not opened, this is the main unit

A Hensley Mfg Cub receiver hitch. I think her main reason was to simplify hooking up as the torsion bar system she got with the unit takes some serious wrangling even for me. This unit stays on the trailer and only has an external stab that fits in the receiver hitch when your ready to tow.Other than the 70#plus weight of the tongue adapter I have moved twice already in the shop...looks interesting.

Anybody have any info on using one or an opinion...or two:dunno

The Hensley is the state of the art for weight distribution and anti-sway all in one simple unit. They are heavy duty, strong, and the best part, easy to install the trailer and get on down the road. Instead of hooking up the weight distribution bars with that time and energy involved one takes all that time and energy in the set up as you get it and install it. Installation is critical and one must be careful and get it done properly. After that, it's get down the road The folks that have them swear by them. The problems are cost, and installation...….Get over those hills and you have something good.

As for me, I have the Reeves stuff that I have been using for years and based upon my latest problem am happy...……..

Thanks Dennis,

I have not been asked to install the Hensley, maybe she will have the dealer do it when she takes it in for a few items. But, she is H's sister so maybe I should start reading the installation guide:laugh

RV's, boats and motorcycles...always something to do!

Spotted in WY a while back

This looks like a nice setup too. And it's a 310! Maybe someone on here?

i-sZnL3PB-X2.jpg

I ran across a new RV show called “The RVers”. It’s on the Discovery channel @08:00 est Sunday mornings.
I’ve seen a couple of episodes- pretty good.
OM

Thanks Dennis,

RV's, boats and motorcycles...always something to do!

YES for sure BUD!!! Mules, goats, cats, LGD(livestock guard dogs), firewood, and of course the winter garden...…….Here I sit in the Naval Air Station Campground at Key West......A worthless hired hand to take care of the place......Oh well, the manure is left as a mess around the hay and feeders, the mail is left in the mail box instead of on the kitchen table, and the electric gate is left open because she cant figure out a battery charger. The real problem there is that the battery is heavy, It needs to be lifted into the back of the RTV and hauled up to the garage barn and charged...…….
SURE GLAD FOR GOOD NEIGHBORS......AT LEAST SHE FEEDS. What do I want for $30 and an hours worth of work. I only need this heavy duty labor til mid-February.
The neighbor is installing a new/larger solar panel and controller when it shows up early next week. This should throw enough of a charge on the gate battery to open and close even on the cloudiest series of days...….

Meanwhile, I fight the wind, currents, and tides to get to the fishing holes in order to get the exercise of coming back across the bay by paddling against those killer currents that sweep through these keys. Why can't the slack of tides last hours longer instead of the current of the tides?>>>>>>>>:scratch :violin :wave

Attachments

• keywest 1.jpg
    keywest 1.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 211
Back from our Trip I posted about in 2018

Well, I finally took that trip I posted about in 2018. We arrived back in Texas after a 5 month, 10,000 mile trip that took us from Texas to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Tetons, All the NP's in Utah + Goblin Valley SP, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Gila Cliffs, White Sands NM, Carlsbad Caverns, Hot Springs Ark, Smoky Mts. NP, Washington DC., New York City, Destin Florida and back to Good Ole Texas, which I was glad to see; we were one tired family.

We had no problems with the RV (1999 Ford E450 28ft) , everything worked for the whole trip except for a vent cover that exploded in Kansas. Luckily the next town we came to had a RV dealer and I got it replaced. I changed the oil three times myself on the trip and added none in between changes as was not needed. I averaged about 6 miles a gallon on the trip. A lot of it was in the mountains so that 8 to 10 miles a gallon I was told about never happened. We spent as little as zero, staying at Walmart campground to as much as $120. a night across from Manhattan in Liberty Harbon RV Park.

I sold the RV to a friend of mine in Texas and we arrived back in Taiwan the end of Jan. and are now holed up waiting out the zombies.

Well, I finally took that trip I posted about in 2018. We arrived back in Texas after a 5 month, 10,000 mile trip that took us from Texas to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Tetons, All the NP's in Utah + Goblin Valley SP, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Gila Cliffs, White Sands NM, Carlsbad Caverns, Hot Springs Ark, Smoky Mts. NP, Washington DC., New York City, Destin Florida and back to Good Ole Texas, which I was glad to see; we were one tired family.

We had no problems with the RV (1999 Ford E450 28ft) , everything worked for the whole trip except for a vent cover that exploded in Kansas. Luckily the next town we came to had a RV dealer and I got it replaced. I changed the oil three times myself on the trip and added none in between changes as was not needed. I averaged about 6 miles a gallon on the trip. A lot of it was in the mountains so that 8 to 10 miles a gallon I was told about never happened. We spent as little as zero, staying at Walmart campground to as much as $120. a night across from Manhattan in Liberty Harbon RV Park.

I sold the RV to a friend of mine in Texas and we arrived back in Taiwan the end of Jan. and are now holed up waiting out the zombies.
Nice :thumb
Hope your luck continues.
OM

Anyone using this time home working/prepping their RV for better days?
It’s a good time for a wash and wax. Checking the “penetration” sealing. Checking tire conditions.
What are you doing?
OM

I have plans to re-pack the wheel bearings, but will probably hold off until I see how the camping season shapes up. I've also not de-winterized yet, so will need to go through that process.

A month ago, I was doing research to transition from lead acid to lithium batteries on my Lance 2285. Again, at this point, I'll probably hold off on the considerable expense to see what this summer's usage will really be. We've already had to cancel camping reservations we had in April and May.

I have plans to re-pack the wheel bearings, but will probably hold off until I see how the camping season shapes up. I've also not de-winterized yet, so will need to go through that process.
A good wheel bearing check is always essential.

A month ago, I was doing research to transition from lead acid to lithium batteries on my Lance 2285. Again, at this point, I'll probably hold off on the considerable expense to see what this summer's usage will really be. We've already had to cancel camping reservations we had in April and May.

I have a few "major" items that I am holding off on- again. The awning fabric is at the end of it's lifespan and needs replacement. I just washed the motorhome, it really needed it.
I will start reloading the "standard" items shortly now that the risk if freezing is pretty much past. The refrigerator is up and running already- as a second fridge.
Hoping for some peaceful time in the RV.
OM

Anyone using this time home working/prepping their RV for better days?
It’s a good time for a wash and wax. Checking the “penetration” sealing. Checking tire conditions.
What are you doing?
OM

We were prepping to use ours while our club held its rally this weekend... to say the obvious, it is still under the shed.
H had Tom Sawyered me into “assisting” with her project of waxing the nose cone last week after I had de- winterized and added a few interior upgrades not on her list. Had recently replaced tires and repacked bearings and new batteries we had no history on. Also, had remounted and caulked the awning anchor points and have sealant to redo the roof penetrations when it dries out this week. Replaced the tall FM aerial that whacked everything. It’s ready when we are.

My bigger use is as a hiding place for a nap for now... don’t tell her where I am!:dance

My bigger use is as a hiding place for a nap for now... don’t tell her where I am!:dance

shhhhhhhhhh……...be quiet about this Steve!!!!! Been using this at least once a week as the housekeeper shows up for her 3 hour attempt to clear a path through the house. The peace and quiet that the refuge affords as I hunker down and saw wood is unknown by most wives that are totally uninformed...………

Gotta re-evaluate for this year, if I even get out. Not gonna leave my hill top, go away and leave me alone, seclusion this year til they come up with a vaccine for this stuff.

Where can we go...…??????????? Have they shut down the national forest camp anywhere you can put a tent rules???? For me, the roadblock shutting down the Florida Keys is a killer for the fall. Wondering if the state park systems have shut down? Have the National Parks?

Six acres, five structures and still no true hiding places Dennis! But I manage on occasion.

In TX, most state parks have shuttered until the end of month... then who knows?
They honored reservations until last week then emptying this week. We used our nearby park weekly and to see it empty other than the hosts is surreal.

We had movie night in the RV the other night to use the prepped for season space. Dogs were confused... but happy

Well, after a whole season of not traveling, mainly due to the virus, it’s time to winterize the motorhome. It’s a bit earlier than usual but the steady cold is coming not to mention the ever expanding virus problem.
Hoping for better days.
OM

Back