• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you notice a difference in build quality between the Fords and the Hondas, John?

Both of my Fords were well built and equal in overall quality to the Honda. When I bought the first Ford I was doing a lot of towing to the West Coast dealing with aging parents. The extra 100 hp & torque provided by the 3.5 Turbo really helped going over the Rockies and the Sierras. The Ridgeline suits my needs now that I don't have to make those trips.

I guess many of the locals must do the Sturgis Escape, eh? :)

Many rent their houses and leave town, some just leave.
I owned the Honda/Yamaha dealership for 5 years, it was a great ten days then. Once I sold I worked for a guy in Sturgis during the Rally for 10 years installing windshields just to remain "connected" with the Rally/Industry.

Last year was the second year I didn't work and the first year we left town.

The Ridgeline does the job, the picture was taken at 9,000 feet in the Bighorns during my Sturgis Rally Escape last August.

I suspect the real reason this combination works is drivers skill/technique :thumb
OM

The F150s would both pull it easier - set the cruise at whatever speed you wanted and it maintained the speed consuming 7-9 mpg.
The Ridgeline will maintain 65 mph on level ground and maintained 50 mph going up US16 over the Bighorns running in 3rd/4th gear 4500 rpm.

What kind of mileage did you get with the Ridgeline?

Last edited:
Careful.... before you know it he will have you driving a Ridgeline. One minute I’m driving my Tundra, then before I realized what was happening I’m in a new Ridgeline. He’s insidious.

Careful.... before you know it he will have you driving a Ridgeline. One minute I’m driving my Tundra, then before I realized what was happening I’m in a new Ridgeline. He’s insidious.

LOL - you are Convert #6 - I should be getting a commission!

Ran across this saved article from Trailer Life magazine. Jeff Johnston can now be seen on Rollin’ On TV. D553FBFD-1AE2-4386-AF16-2E83EF8D19D7.jpg

:clap

OM

45AC5066-A33E-46F5-A30F-07B7001E12DD.jpg

My 2006 Ford F-250 and 26’ Shasta 5th wheel. As we were leaving our campsite in the Bighorns September 2020.

Today, Rollin’ on TV becomes RVing Today.

Rollin’ on was a pretty good show usually on Sunday mornings. Back in the day, there used to be RV Today which was a good show with decent hosts.
Hopefully the new show will be the best of the previous shows.

The show can be seen on NESN+ in the Northeast.

OM

How are all you RV owners doing this season? Yeah, the price of gas/diesel is currently a factor for sure but planning an extended stay can make it all worth it.
:ear
OM

Funny this thread would pop up...

We are on our first trip with our Airstream, having traveled about 300 miles south to a nice campground a few miles north of Cape May, NJ.

We arrived last Wednesday, and will leave Wednesday morning.

Weather is beautiful, and it is very nice compared to the Coleman pop-up were previously had.

Pure highway driving at 60 mph yielded 12 mpg in the Tundra.

We have another week planned June 14th-21st in Cape Cod, then the next trip will not be until September for two weeks near Assateague Island in the DelMarVa peninsula Eastern shore of Maryland.

And...maybe one other week sometime in July or August, but nothing scheduled yet.

I do kinda miss my R80ST, though.

June 3, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

June 2, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

June 3, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

May 26, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP

New Motor Home and trade offs..................MODS PLEASE ROTATE PIC

Did the Airstream route for 20 or so years. No problems really at all. Got lots of thumbs up traveling. Did many upgrades on the 1987 and got the money from them plus a bunch more when we decided that a 2' counter to cook on, the queen size bed filled up the whole bedroom area leaving no room for walking around the bed, and a whole bunch more items that made a decision to upgrade the whole outfit pretty easy. Surely not to diminish the shine of ownership that shapes up by the silver bullet.

So, this time last year we moved along in life and bit another bullet. Lots of travels in that year, and changes. First, the barn where we kept the AS wasn'.t big enough for sure in height. What to do to get the new Motor HOME into the same space where we kept the AS. lolol.....can't raise the roof in the barn, so instead, lower the floor. One advantage of not having concrete for that part of the barn, go down into the fill by 3 feet or so. Then the 12' height of the BUS fit just right.
A note to anyone with an RV.........KEEP IT IN A BARN. Not only does it protect the paint or finish; but rain, SNOW/ICE cause damage that is totally a fortune in time and money to repair.

pole barn .jpg

Now, we just made reservations for another winter down in KEY WEST at the Navy campground on Sigsby Island. Hard to get a spot but worth it to have lows in the 50's all winter. It's worth taking the Long Haul boat that has a dandy sail rig or good for fishing. The Bus allows us to pull a TOAD with even more gear inside or on top.

bus and rig keys.jpg

Yes, the cost of fuel is a really lousy thing and not gonna get into the politics of oil exploration and the associated rise in prices. Pulling the AS with the F250 got us 10 to 12 MPG and the Bus is pretty much the same but a lot stronger going up hill or into a wind. Actually often the F250 would get down in the 6 to 8 mpg range and yes the bus falls down into the 10 mpg range. But it all equals out.
Yes, we are going to local campgrounds a lot more than in the past. Monthly we are spending more weeks and weekends at one of the MANY state parks here in Georgia and as a by-product the freezer is slowly filling up with channel catfish fillets. The Long Haul boat folds up into 3 bags that set up into a very much expedition ready boat that is great for using to fish out of............Oh one can go on and on.

Gonna see you at the Rally so the thing is gonna save on the MOTEL BILL......Am a volunteer to help park RV's there in Springfield so hope to see you there.........God bless........Dennis

A note to anyone with an RV.........KEEP IT IN A BARN.

So true!... and nice rig, Dennis.

But man, you need a BARN! :ha

IMG_0113-X2.png

Our Lazy Daze is now 22 years old and due to lack of barn it sat outside for 17 years... and it caused a lot of water and exposure damage.

Instead of a new rig, we love our camper so much that we had it refurbished at the factory in CA... lots of new stuff, 20% of the price of a new one.

We originally bought the RV to support our son's amateur motocross racing and now take it around the country.

Ian

... the Sprinter was "willed" to said son, who's now using it as his son's (our grandson's) race bike hauler!

Finley_Race-X2.jpg

Did the Airstream route for 20 or so years. No problems really at all. Got lots of thumbs up traveling. Did many upgrades on the 1987 and got the money from them plus a bunch more when we decided that a 2' counter to cook on, the queen size bed filled up the whole bedroom area leaving no room for walking around the bed, and a whole bunch more items that made a decision to upgrade the whole outfit pretty easy. Surely not to diminish the shine of ownership that shapes up by the silver bullet.

So, this time last year we moved along in life and bit another bullet. Lots of travels in that year, and changes. First, the barn where we kept the AS wasn'.t big enough for sure in height. What to do to get the new Motor HOME into the same space where we kept the AS. lolol.....can't raise the roof in the barn, so instead, lower the floor. One advantage of not having concrete for that part of the barn, go down into the fill by 3 feet or so. Then the 12' height of the BUS fit just right.
A note to anyone with an RV.........KEEP IT IN A BARN. Not only does it protect the paint or finish; but rain, SNOW/ICE cause damage that is totally a fortune in time and money to repair.

View attachment 88096

Now, we just made reservations for another winter down in KEY WEST at the Navy campground on Sigsby Island. Hard to get a spot but worth it to have lows in the 50's all winter. It's worth taking the Long Haul boat that has a dandy sail rig or good for fishing. The Bus allows us to pull a TOAD with even more gear inside or on top.

View attachment 88099

Yes, the cost of fuel is a really lousy thing and not gonna get into the politics of oil exploration and the associated rise in prices. Pulling the AS with the F250 got us 10 to 12 MPG and the Bus is pretty much the same but a lot stronger going up hill or into a wind. Actually often the F250 would get down in the 6 to 8 mpg range and yes the bus falls down into the 10 mpg range. But it all equals out.
Yes, we are going to local campgrounds a lot more than in the past. Monthly we are spending more weeks and weekends at one of the MANY state parks here in Georgia and as a by-product the freezer is slowly filling up with channel catfish fillets. The Long Haul boat folds up into 3 bags that set up into a very much expedition ready boat that is great for using to fish out of............Oh one can go on and on.

Gonna see you at the Rally so the thing is gonna save on the MOTEL BILL......Am a volunteer to help park RV's there in Springfield so hope to see you there.........God bless........Dennis

WoW Dennis, I hope you have as good a luck with the new RV and the Airstream.
No doubt on the barn or garage comment. The sun and other elements are real tough on most everything.
OM

So true!... and nice rig, Dennis.

But man, you need a BARN! :ha

IMG_0113-X2.png

Our Lazy Daze is now 22 years old and due to lack of barn it sat outside for 17 years... and it caused a lot of water and exposure damage.

Instead of a new rig, we love our camper so much that we had it refurbished at the factory in CA... lots of new stuff, 20% of the price of a new one.

We originally bought the RV to support our son's amateur motocross racing and now take it around the country.

Ian

... the Sprinter was "willed" to said son, who's now using it as his son's (our grandson's) race bike hauler!

Finley_Race-X2.jpg

The refurb is becoming a popular option, especially with a rig that you are fond of. It's happening pretty regularly with construction machinery as well.
So nice to have under-cover storage for your rig as well. It makes such a difference.

It's also good to see the grandson on and interested in motorsports. Even if they don't continue with their riding, what they learn will help them throughout their life.

OM

Back