• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 R1200RT Tank Bag pics

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
anyone have pics of the BMW OEM tank bag for the 2013 R1200RT handy.....

on the fence about the BMW bag vs the Bags Connection Evo City bag at Twisted Throttle....

thanks in advance for any and all help...

wyman

Not OEM, but I do have a non EVO bag

Hi Wyman, I have had the OEM tankag and now I have a Bags Connection non EVO Engage bag. I used a non EVO tank ring I had from a K1300GT which has the same gas cap. I did this because I tried to order a non EVO tank ting from Twisted Throttle and gave up on that. It was going on 5 weeks for the order to come from Germany at somewhere around $80 when I tried working with the K1300tank ring instead. I just raised it about 3/8 of an inch with some plastic washers and got some longer hex head cap screws at the hardware store and it works just fine. Inexplicably it costs about half as much new one for the RT too.

I also have the Engage tank bag which I am not crazy about because it opens from the front. I think the new version opens from the back though. However it is a high quality item and the map case cannot be beat. If it ever yellows like the OEM one does you just get a spare for around $30. It is easily removed as it just clips on. So far it as held up way better than the OEM bag which I found yellowed out in a few years and is difficult to replace, if that is even possible. The OEM bag fabric also faded in the sun, and its rearward position sometimes made my RT hard to push off the center stand because it blocked my chest heave forward. On top of that the rear zipper sawed into the front of my jacket fabric since it was so close to my chest. Irritating for such an expensive item.

The Engage bag is as easy to get off and on as the OEM bag, but it is smaller inside and not a nice square shape. It also can support a "gadget holder" by a couple of slots in the front of the bag if you have a GPS. An extra $40 for that, but its something the OEM bag does not do. It can also be mounted on its holder ring forward or back more to move the bag to suit your individual tastes. The OEM bag only has one position. If you have bar backs you'll probably find that both brands interfere with handlebar switches when you make a tight low speed turn. Oh well.

Anyway here are some shots of my rig. I am getting a larger City tank bag shortly so if you are interested in my used Engage bag drop me a line. My RT is a 2012.

IMG_7272.jpgIMG_7273.jpgIMG_7274.jpg

Thanks!!!!

appreciate the feedback and reviews.....

i think you sealed the deal on the "City" bag....but would still like to see the OEM bag on the bike....i did really like the Bags Connection "electrification" kit that i had on my V-Strom...but may opt for the bulk head connection so the bag is "hot" all the time (well, at least when on the bike) and would save a bunch of $$$

i sold my V-Strom to a buddy so i can check the fit on the RT....and i do like your spacer idea....thanks...

wyman

Well...

appreciate the feedback and reviews.....

i think you sealed the deal on the "City" bag....but would still like to see the OEM bag on the bike....i did really like the Bags Connection "electrification" kit that i had on my V-Strom...but may opt for the bulk head connection so the bag is "hot" all the time (well, at least when on the bike) and would save a bunch of $$$

i sold my V-Strom to a buddy so i can check the fit on the RT....and i do like your spacer idea....thanks...

wyman

Wyman, I got my City bag today and it sits differently on the RT than the Engage bag does, it is tilted forward a little. May make looking at the map a little awkward until I can figure out how to reshape this to level or even tilted back a little. I'd suggest if you can before dropping a bundle on bags maybe get the ring in place then try a couple of bags at the dealer or from a friend to see if you like the fit. As you know these puppies are not cheap and I bet they are also hard to return if you don't like it.

Back