• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Msrp ?

Wow, this thing is really meandering around... :banghead I went back and looked at the title of the Motorrad forum are - "General BMW and bike talk". I know there's a wisp of BMW and motorcycles being discussed here, but let's try and stay a little closer to the OP's questions about MSRP and his purchase of a new BMW. Thanks...

As for my part in this the OP conversation was a disount-based question. There are people that complain about the seemingly high prices within BMW and I was wondering what other industries marked things up at. As that mark-up has everything to do with what you can discount I thought it would be extremely relevant.

There was also a time where a high school degree was an indication of a sound fundamental education. Both my parents had high school degrees; of their three sons I has a doctorate and the other two masters degrees. Yet none of their children have an understanding of grammer, civics or history that equals what they got in highschool. I worked at a state university for many years. In my opinion the highschool degree does not offer you much assurance that the holder is competent in very much these days.

Really? What is your take on Wall Street and the banking industry today? Presumably the high schoolers and bank tellers didn't get us into the fix we've had the last few years. I have the sneaky suspicion that competency is more individual-based than educators may realize. Present an opportunity to a driven someone with a fire burnin' in the belly and you never know what the result will be.

As for my part in this the OP conversation was a disount-based question. There are people that complain about the seemingly high prices within BMW and I was wondering what other industries marked things up at. As that mark-up has everything to do with what you can discount I thought it would be extremely relevant.

But you bring up greed in America and what's being taught in the classroom, the banking industry, etc., etc. I think we've been straying pretty far afield...that's all I'm saying.

Not just you either...we're talking founding fathers, WWII, etc. :dunno

Well, we got off on a tangent because someone did ask, twice, what retail markups were in other fields to compare them to BMW prices.

I'll put my responses to bed with this one question- (The movie popcorn was one good example)
If you're complaining about BMW parts prices have you ever complained about or refused to buy that $1.75 fountain soda which costs that restaurant 5 cents?
Or the $13.00 pizza that has, at most, $2 worth of ingredients? No, we accept the fact that the pizzeria has many business costs and needs to have larger profits on some items than others. Kind of like the BMW dealer's parts and repair business bringing in a larger profit margin than bike sales do.

For 15 years now, Harley-Davidson earns more from the clothing and lifestyle lines than they earn from motorcycle sales.

Parts yes, service no when it comes to net. Many, many dealers lose money on an annual basis in the service department. It is actually the toughest department to get under control and maintain under control than any other dealership department. By a wide margin I might add.

But you bring up greed in America and what's being taught in the classroom, the banking industry, etc., etc. I think we've been straying pretty far afield...that's all I'm saying.

Not just you either...we're talking founding fathers, WWII, etc. :dunno

Point taken.

Billy,

Two points:

1) Consider the membership of the Continental Congress..........Most of these folks were well educated (e.g. Jefferson & Adams), successful in business or completed apprentice programs (B. Franklin from PA). They didn't just show up at the convention as interested parties with a few pamphlets. They were an affluent, enlightened group on par with the intellectual salons of Europe.

2) In our post WW-2 view of the world, many of our parents and grandparents entered the workforce thru gov't supported apprentice programs. In the case of defense contractors, the apprentice programs were directly supported and mandated, in commercial industries, the expense of the apprentice programs were offset with tax deductions. The employees gained skills while earning a paycheck. So. yes, in that period, you could claim that high school graduates "built" the country. But, keep in mind, at the same time, the gov't spent lots of money on programs like the GI bill and education grants to send people to college to work in industry and design airplanes, ships, highways, etc.. Why did the US gov't do this after WW-2? Because, 15-yrs earlier, another nation, Germany, did the same thing and nearly took over all of Europe.

I'm talkin' pre WW-II.

Fwiw

By the way you can ignore this question if you feel it's none of my business.

No intention to ignore the question.I started a reply this morning then was called in early to work. Work, a race update in BR&TMR and I am back at it again. I am already signed up for a MOOC over at Coursera.com and frankly don?t have the time or inclination to get involved in BMW MOA MBA wanabe thread. Please take this response as one big FWIW because I don?t intend defending it.

I will try and frame my response in terms of the OP. Apparently the simple question has been forgotten.

I am looking at. 2013 R1200R

Dealer told me that while the side bags are included by BMW, the dealer has to take a hit on them and they therefore do not have room for movement off of MSRP ?

If I buy new what should I expect to pay ?

Are there any MOA discounts ?

I took this a single transaction question. It involves a number of factors but at heart a simple negotiating question dealing with a single transaction. The OP was not able to come to an acceptable deal for both parties with the original dealer, went to another dealer and is taking delivery of a new R from them.

- I?m happy for the OP. He did what I have done in the past and I hope he enjoys his R as much as I enjoy mine.
- I don?t think the first dealer is good or bad. It just was not able to work a deal they felt benefited them and would make the sale.
- I don?t think the selling dealer is anything beyond one that had the business conditions and willingness to make the deal with the OP.

There is a reason behind the question.

The motorcycle industry is a fairly low profit margin industry especially given the fact that it is a true speciality industry at least in the USA. On a nationwide basis there is no such thing as selling major quantity as there is in automotive.

Confusing the forest for the trees.

Forest: The motorcycle industry overall is returning a reasonable profit for investors, paying dividends and expanding.

Trees: Dealers, as a species of trees that make up the forest are hard pressed and operating on slim margins.

The two are often confused when we talk about profitability and margins.

I was just interested in seeing profit margins from other industry's and how they compared and whether a given industry had mass market appeal or was considered speciality as I assume the margins would probably be different between the two..

As I said I have managed in a variety of industries. With very few exceptions these have been publicly held companies so the margins are out there in the filings, annual reports etc. I don?t mean it as a dodge but information you are looking for margins and specific strategies at the transaction level were things I was not to divulge when I worked for the companies and don?t feel inclined to do so in a thread on this forum. In several cases the information would be so moldy due to drastic changes in how these industries do business and price due to the way the industries evolved.

We run an extremely transparent store. I've operated that way for maybe 2 decades. Anyone who walks in the door is welcome to see dealer cost on anything. The margin of profit is nothing that needs to be hidden and I find it to be an educational tool as many people tend to assume we make more than reality

Transparency is the new cool term. For all the definitions and efforts at it I don?t think we understand its purpose or how to use it.

Margins
Percentages keep getting thrown around to describe margins. I have yet to be able to make payroll, pay bills, feed my family or buy toys with percentages. I can do all of those with dollars.

The OP had certain amount of dollars he wanted to spend on R1200R.

Dealer A has a business plan that in this case did not leave him the margin they felt they needed to make payroll, pay bills, feed my family or buy toys.

Dealer B was able to do that.

The trees need to be feed. Dealers need to have a margin that allows them to survive and hopefully thrive. Some trees are big. Some trees are small.

The OP is going riding this weekend.
Dealer A will open their shop and hopefully sell their R1200R and then go riding.
Dealer B will deliver a bike and have money to go out and make payroll, pay bills, feed my family or buy toys.

I have to catch up on class work, do some fun reading and work this weekend. Monday is a day off and I can play. You guys have fun with this rambling thread.
:bolt

By the way you can ignore this question if you feel it's none of my business.

No intention to ignore the question.I started a reply this morning then was called in early to work. Work, a race update in BR&TMR and I am back at it again. I am already signed up for a MOOC over at Coursera.com and frankly don?t have the time or inclination to get involved in BMW MOA MBA wanabe thread. Please take this response as one big FWIW because I don?t intend defending it.

I will try and frame my response in terms of the OP. Apparently the simple question has been forgotten.

Dealer told me that while the side bags are included by BMW, the dealer has to take a hit on them and they therefore do not have room for movement off of MSRP ?

Are there any MOA discounts ?

I took this a single transaction question. It involves a number of factors but at heart a simple negotiating question dealing with a single transaction. The OP was not able to come to an acceptable deal for both parties with the original dealer, went to another dealer and is taking delivery of a new R from them.

- I?m happy for the OP. He did what I have done in the past and I hope he enjoys his R as much as I enjoy mine.
- I don?t think the first dealer is good or bad. It just was not able to work a deal they felt benefited them and would make the sale.
- I don?t think the selling dealer is anything beyond one that had the business conditions and willingness to make the deal with the OP.

There is a reason behind the question.

The motorcycle industry is a fairly low profit margin industry especially given the fact that it is a true speciality industry at least in the USA. On a nationwide basis there is no such thing as selling major quantity as there is in automotive.

Confusing the forest for the trees.

Forest: The motorcycle industry overall is returning a reasonable profit for investors, paying dividends and expanding.

Trees: Dealers, as a species of trees that make up the forest are hard pressed and operating on slim margins.

The two are often confused when we talk about profitability and margins.

I was just interested in seeing profit margins from other industry's and how they compared and whether a given industry had mass market appeal or was considered speciality as I assume the margins would probably be different between the two..

As I said I have managed in a variety of industries. With very few exceptions these have been publicly held companies so the margins are out there in the filings, annual reports etc. I don?t mean it as a dodge but information you are looking for margins and specific strategies at the transaction level were things I was not to divulge when I worked for the companies and don?t feel inclined to do so in a thread on this forum. In several cases the information would be so moldy due to drastic changes in how these industries do business and price due to the way the industries evolved.

We run an extremely transparent store. I've operated that way for maybe 2 decades. Anyone who walks in the door is welcome to see dealer cost on anything. The margin of profit is nothing that needs to be hidden and I find it to be an educational tool as many people tend to assume we make more than reality

Transparency is the new cool term. For all the definitions and efforts at it I don?t think we understand its purpose or how to use it.

Margins
Percentages keep getting thrown around to describe margins. I have yet to be able to make payroll, pay bills, feed my family or buy toys with percentages. I can do all of those with dollars.

The OP had certain amount of dollars he wanted to spend on R1200R.

Dealer A has a business plan that in this case did not leave him the margin they felt they needed to make payroll, pay bills, feed my family or buy toys.

Dealer B was able to do that.

The trees need to be feed. Dealers need to have a margin that allows them to survive and hopefully thrive. Some trees are big. Some trees are small.

The OP is going riding this weekend.
Dealer A will open their shop and hopefully sell their R1200R and then go riding.
Dealer B will deliver a bike and have money to go out and make payroll, pay bills, feed my family or buy toys.

I have to catch up on class work, do some fun reading and work this weekend. Monday is a day off and I can play. You guys have fun with this rambling thread.
:bolt

No offense. I thought it was a reasonable question for a number of reasons. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I agree... the question was asked for the sake of questioning in wondering how other industries mark-up in order to discount off MSRP. Low markups mean small discounts. Large discounts I assume are operating at fatter margins than this industry allows. Just stuff for my own head as I find it interesting.

I'll bite (with zero feeling that this has anything to do with buying something with 2/4 wheels) as I worked in supermarkets in early 60's. FWIW,I did every job except meat cutter,deli & store owner, which is why I left as it payed too little no matter what you did. The order book(this was in the times of "paper & pencil ordering", when we walked the shelves & penciled in that depts' order then the grocery mgr. transcribed those tic marks onto a master order sheet which was another huge sheet of paper. The % markups were in the order book and typical for canned goods was in the 20-25% range and this carried over to most regular items. We used ~28% for fresh produce. Sundries like toothpaste were the big markups items & in the 50% markup area.
Later when I worked for Goodyear in mfg plant I heard from a good source that some OEM tires were going for $5 ea, when the street price was at least 5-6 times that amt..
Groceries in general are high volume low markup affairs with the deli being an exception back then.
This is "Billy's history lesson" for the day. Toilet tissue was ~ 39cents, bread 2/29,hamburger 39cents#,box cereal 15-25 cents. Minimum wage 85 cents.

Wow, this thing is really meandering around... :banghead I went back and looked at the title of the Motorrad forum are - "General BMW and bike talk". I know there's a wisp of BMW and motorcycles being discussed here, but let's try and stay a little closer to the OP's questions about MSRP and his purchase of a new BMW. Thanks...

My apology! I find it entertaining either way & truth be known, Mottorad has become the new "Campfire" which IMO, is boring due to stuff like word assoc & a few other mindless threads.

Excuse me, but what was your (the) original question?

Msrp ?

Are there any MOA discounts

There ya go....

Excuse me, but what was your (the) original question?

Msrp ?

Are there any MOA discounts

There ya go....

Take MSRP and multiply by .85. That will put you somewhere close to dealer net on the unit. Add $1k to $1.5k and in all likelihood you now own a new motorcycle. No guarantee of course. Other variables may be involved.

The saddlebag cost is harder to know as it could quite literally be anything.

The multiplier will get you close on most cars or motorcycles by the way.

Clarification: MSRP on only the unit and possibly the accessories. The freight is the freight and a dealer pays whatever you see on the sticker as there is no freight mark-up.

Take MSRP and multiply by .85. That will put you somewhere close to dealer net on the unit. Add $1k to $1.5k and in all likelihood you now own a new motorcycle. No guarantee of course. Other variables may be involved.

The saddlebag cost is harder to know as it could quite literally be anything.

The multiplier will get you close on most cars or motorcycles by the way.

Clarification: MSRP on only the unit and possibly the accessories. The freight is the freight and a dealer pays whatever you see on the sticker as there is no freight mark-up.

You are kidding...Right? Apparently my attempt to put this thread back on track only managed to start it over. In 10 or 20 post, you Billy, should ask AGAIN, what profit margins might be in other industries so we can compare...it was really fun the first time around...LOL.

The first law of the Internet Forum is apparently true here....contributors type MUCH MORE than they read.

You are kidding...Right? Apparently my attempt to put this thread back on track only managed to start it over. In 10 or 20 post, you Billy, should ask AGAIN, what profit margins might be in other industries so we can compare...it was really fun the first time around...LOL.

The first law of the Internet Forum is apparently true here....contributors type MUCH MORE than they read.

Dan,

You answered the question in the first page of responses. There is absolutely zero benefit in trying to "focus" the responses of others.

"....grant me the courage to change those things what I can..............."

Dan,

You answered the question in the first page of responses. There is absolutely zero benefit in trying to "focus" the responses of others.

"....grant me the courage to change those things what I can..............."

I know that, but I just couldn't help myself....

Back