• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thread for things that happen on your ride to Salem....

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
How about a thread where we can post strange things that happen on the ride to Salem.

Last edited:
Hwy 12 West from Lolo, Montana Road Report

Just a heads up....anyone heading west on Hwy 12 from Lolo Montana will find major chip and seal road repair going on..... Not only slow and a PIA due to the gravel, but dusty as all get out.... Seemed to be about 20 miles of heavy gravel and had to follow a chase car for the entire distance....

Also, there was a forest fire going on just east of Orofino, Idaho with helicopter operations hauling water out of Clearwater river. Traffic was not held up, but you could smell the smoke and had to work around everyone pulling off the road, (including myself) to snap photos of the helicopters dragging water out of the river.....

DPeakMD,
I would suspect that by the time you head home in 2 weeks, it will be a non-issue as it doesn't take long for the chip to set and get brushed off the Hwy. My guess is it will be good to go by then, but for the next couple of days heading west, it will be a bear..... The road is just too nice to pass up in a couple of weeks, unless you've already been that route in the past....Safe Riding!

Hwy 12 out of Lolo

That's a shame because Hwy 12 from Missoula west into Idaho was the bomb back when the National was held in Missoula. Musta been in the early 1980s. I still remember the hot springs over the river and down the trail off of Hwy 12 in Idaho. I hope it's back in shape soon.

Heading west on I 70 on Wed morning. Just crossed into Utah. Big traffic jam. Turns out there was a high speed chasd involving a sexual predator who tried getting a woman into her car that morning at a Walmart. Police chased him down and truck turned ovrr. Guy gets out after lenghty negotiation and they shooot and kill him. Road did not reopen till 4:30 in the afternoon. I lost about 2 hrs till I figured out what was going on and turned around and rerouted.

Lunatic truck drivers on I-80

Yes... I rode the Interstate for much of the way here.

Had about the closest call ever in all my riding, a tractor-trailer driver moved right over on me as I was passing. No, I was not in his blind spot... and he moved *right* over. Huge surprise, except I never trust truck drivers.

I had that 2 foot wide little strip between the left lane and the median to work with, and half of that was a rumble strip, but kept a cool head and was able to back out of it.

Waited for him to move back into the right lane and then passed again. I saw him in his side view mirror... guess what... TEXTING! :mad

He now knows that he is #1 in my book. :ha

A tip: US36 across Kansas is a sweet ride, it splits the middle between I-70 and I-80.

Ian

Visit Big Twin, the BMW dealer in Boise.

Exit 52 off (and I mean right off) I-84.

They've got refreshments for anyone heading to the rally.

Say hi to OldHwy... aka Steve Marquardt (prior Forum Liaison) who is a new salesperson there. :thumb

Ian

I've been hiking around Mt. Hood area today and found out that the ski slopes are still open.... Skiing in July.... What could be better than a cross country ride on a BMW, through some of the most beautiful and interesting roads, attending a BMW rally to die for, and now, going skiing tomorrow in July.... it doesn't get any better than this.....

LoloPass

We did Lolo Pass yesterday and except for some loose stuff in the middle of each lane it is ok.....just pay attention...I did it at 50 to 60+ and lost no traction (I am on my Wing pulling a trailer) See you at the Rally.....joy

Bird Strike

Bird strike.jpg
It might take more than a bunch of bugs on your windshield to stand out as a big dog. (Somewhere in Wyoming)

Wow, glad it caught the outside edge of the windshield and not dead center at the top.... could have been real interesting to have a face full of feathers.... Good to know your OK.... I hope you enjoyed the rally.... I had a great time; can't wait until next year......

Back