• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Civil War Battlefields

Attachments

• Bloody Lane Antietam.jpg
    Bloody Lane Antietam.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Burnside Bridge.jpg
    Burnside Bridge.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Copse of Trees.jpg
    Copse of Trees.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Antietam a couple of weeks ago

Wish I took panoramas in both directions.

9127660479_15648d2388_o.jpg

9127659331_0802dfaaa0_b.jpg

Beautiful shots. I attended the MOA's Gettysburg weekend getaways last year and this year and they were very enjoyable.
Guided tours of Gettysburg and a ride to Harper's Ferry & Antietam. If they offer it again next April, I highly recommend it to everyone.

If you're gonna ride between Antietam and Gettysburg, set the GPS to shortest route. It's about a 70 minute ride. I'd also advise visiting Gettysburg at a time of year when there aren't a thousand cars in the parking lots.

Thanks for posting the photos! One of the things on our to-do list is to visit some of the battlefields.

Looks like fun. I lived in VA in my youth and adolecence and loved the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression) historical locations that abound there. While in the Army and assigned to Ft. Monroe, VA we lived in the quarters Robert E. Lee occupied in 1839. Lee's first child was born in our bedroom at the time.

Who won at the Wilderness this time? ;)

End of the Battle of the Wilderness and the beginning of the Battle of Spotsylvania

Grant sidestepped the Army of North Virginia and began the footrace to to the next strategic site, Spotsylvania. Lee had his army march all night and just arrived ahead of the Army of the Potomac. There the bloodbath continued.

Battle of Memphis

Impossible to reenact Civil War naval battles on the river. This panoramic picture is on display in the Tennessee Welcome Center in downtown Memphis. The Confederate Fleet was totally defeated. Thousands of citizens watched from the bluffs. The city surrendered the same day.

Laurel Hill

Not a battlefield, but the birthplace of JEB Stuart. You don't just stop by Laurel Hill. It is in Ararat, Virginia and it is not near any major city. You have to want to go there to be there. :)

20140527_120708-L.jpg

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 158.jpg
To understand the Civil War, you have to study the participants and their history. Like you, I go where the history was created. On the battlefield or the out of the way places that lead to the battlefield.

Not really a battlefield in the truest sense...but a place where men "battled" everyday for life,...and a must see IMO.

Andersonville Prison in Georgia . I visited there some 20+ years ago. It is a place where a visit will stick with you for a very long time. Ride / walk through , read the plaques , the history, listen to the Park-Rangers narration , etc. I guarantee you will be...moved.

Back