• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Civil War Battlefields

Yellow Tavern

20141213_122828-L.jpg

20141213_123459-L.jpg

Visiting Yellow Tavern is a bit strange because the monument in in the middle of a subdivision. Still, it is a nice spot and well maintained.

Malvern Hill

The view from the union position atop Malvern Hill. The Confederates emerged from the woods in the distance and attempted to take this position. I have never been to the site of Pickett's Charge, but I imagine it is similar to this. The battlefield is a long, wide open sloping field well suited for artillery.

20141227_124545-X3.jpg

20141227_130636-X3.jpg

And to think that local governments, Americans with personal history in the areas, are rolling over to big developers who want to build housing and commercial projects on our Hallowed Ground. I was lucky as a little kid to be able to visit a lot the battlefields. My Great Uncle, and Dad, made sure I knew about that war.

Help save the battlefields > http://www.civilwar.org/

The Civil War Trust is active in preserving land around battlefields in this area. They have purchased land near Malvern Hill, Frazier's Farm, etc.

Seven Days

Happy Lee-Jackson Day. Rode several of the Seven Days Battlefields today.

Beaver Dam Creek. The Confederates had to cross the creek, the swamp and assail the high ground in the distance. Union troops repulsed their charges.
20150116_114710-X3.jpg

The bridge at Beaver Dam Creek.
20150116_115327-X3.jpg

The Union position at Gaines Mill.
20150116_121734-X3.jpg

Seven Days

Savage Station. This was the Union base for the advance on Richmond. McClellan abandon a nearby rail line for supplies in favor of using the James River. Before retreating to the river much ammunition and other supplies were destroyed. Unable to transport all the wounded in field hospitals, most were left here when the Union army pulled out.
20150116_125738-1899x1068.jpg

White Oak Swamp. Jackson tried to join a nearby battle (Frazier's Farm), but Union troops destroyed the bridge over White Oak Swamp and manned the high ground on the opposite side. This successfully delayed Jackson a day and he was unable to join that battle.
20150116_133315-1899x1068.jpg

Back