• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route to Rally Question

Stephan1

I'm heading down from Greenwater WA to the Columbia River as the first leg of the road to the rally. Has anyone ridden the following route: State route 410 to 123 to 131 on to NF (National Forest) 25 to NF 90 and then on south to Carson on the Columbia? If so, any comments or descriptions of the route. I'm most interested in the NF 25 part. I believe all parts of the route are now open. Road conditions? Deer herds? Whatever.

:) Make sure you top your tank off at Randle. This road is called The back door to Mt. St. Helens.:clap:clap:clap Many people drive this road on weekends, very curvey the last 10 to 15 miles ALL downhill into Carson.Enjoy!!!:)

Do it

Welcome to the Forum

Beautiful route! It is paved along the entire length, but there are lots of cracks in the pavement, and irregular surface. Pay attention. Like many forest service roads, it is narrow. Regarding critters, This route courses through deep, isolated forest land. Deer, elk (DAMHIK), bear, and the rest live here, but with such good habitat, they don't need to hang out on the road. Stay alert but have fun. The detour to the Mt. St. Helens overlook at Windy Ridge is newer pavement through the blast zone and brilliantly engineered for motorcyclists. The destination is nothing short of spectacular.

This route is one of the best rides in the Pacific Northwest

Before heading that way, you might want to check with the Forest Service to make sure that 25 and 90 are both open. Usually a safe bet, but in July 2 or 3 years ago I spent 3 hours getting to Randle only to find that there had been a slide on 25, causing it to be closed for several days. Can't remember the website for that road info, but think if you web search for Gifford Pinchot National Forest road info that it's easily found.

I'll be checking for that a little later today, and if I get some good info I'll pass it along. Of course if you're starting from Greenwater you're pretty darn close to Randle, so you'll have a head start on me! :D

Cheers!

Oh, one more thing. Read in the paper that the Windy Ridge spur was scheduled to be opened just last Thursday for the season. Just in time!!! :D:D

Okay, that was quick, just checked and 25/90 opened on the 17th of June, currently still open. I'll be on that route on July 17, staying in Hood River that night. Perhaps I'll see you on the road? I've noted at this time of year that if you see one deer, there's another lurking just out of sight. At 50mph yesterday had one of them buggers cross the road in front of me, with about 10 feet to spare. Let's be careful out there! :D

Before heading that way, you might want to check with the Forest Service to make sure that 25 and 90 are both open. Usually a safe bet, but in July 2 or 3 years ago I spent 3 hours getting to Randle only to find that there had been a slide on 25, causing it to be closed for several days.

Good advice.

I rode through here after the 2010 rally, 25 has a *lot* of grade recession and some sharp-edged bumps. The GS did the job, though, but this would be a bit tough on pure street suspension.

Ian

Good advice.

I rode through here after the 2010 rally, 25 has a *lot* of grade recession and some sharp-edged bumps. The GS did the job, though, but this would be a bit tough on pure street suspension.

Ian

Indeed lots of harsh bumps, but they can be avoided. I ride this on a 32 year old airhead that is pretty stiffly sprung with no problems.

Thanks

Thanks for the helpful and friendly advice. Those are two of the reasons I love this forum. Now if you'll just tell the weather to cooperate....

:) Make sure you top your tank off at Randle. This road is called The back door to Mt. St. Helens.:clap:clap:clap Many people drive this road on weekends, very curvey the last 10 to 15 miles ALL downhill into Carson.Enjoy!!!:)

Went through there last August with a pickup, camper, pulling a jeep. A LOT of broken road. Slow going for my set up, but loved the scenery. Just had to pay close attention to the road. Seems like a great route for the bike!!!
John

Back