• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Martinsville VA to Abingdon VA

FRUBIO

Tuesday I left my friend's home in Martinsville VA at 7:30AM on my ride home to Madison, Indiana.
First leg was to take approx 3 hours via VA Rt. 58.
Rain was anticipated, but never to the level found.
I dressed for the occasion with rain gear and ran into the anticipated rain before going over the first mountain range. As we started to gain elevation I noticed a little fog; which quickly turned into "pea soup".
Fastest speed I could safely keep was 20 mph - could not find a place to turn off - could not pick a spot to turn around for fear of on coming traffic. I kept moving slow and easy with my flashers on. Luckily no traffic followed and none came from the other direction. I could only tell I was going uphill because the engine required acceleration. Then I felt ease on the accelerator and found crest of the mountain and then downhill came.
I was never so happy to see fog lift then when getting off that mountain.
I was thankful for all safety courses and tips or advice I have read and shared over the years.
Under normal conditions I would have expected to arrive into Abingdon VA by 11 AM.
However once I realized that I missed one of my turn offs due to the fog, and I had to backtrack and loose an hour -and- having to find a place to change into dry clothes - having stopped for lunch in Damascus VA - I arrived into Abingdon at 1PM
Eventually making it north into KY and home after a long 14 hour day.
Retrospect - this ride should not have been attempted, but more rain was forecasted for the following days and I had to get home.
My K1200GT handled superbly and am delighted to be back on a BMW again.
If you are ever in Madison, Indiana look me up and we will share a cup of coffee
Regards to all
Calypso 2

I have never traveled that section of road, but I know where it is and friends have told me about it. A shame you hit a super fog, not only because of the dangerous conditions, but also because it is supposed to be a nice ride. I would really like to get out that way some time. How did you choose to get home? Did you take the interstate or run the backroads through Kentucky?

Martinsville Va to Abingdon VA

The routes taken we're pretty much straight forward
VA 58 west out of Martinsville all the way to Abingdon
Continue on 58 West out of Abingdon to Rt 23 North in Wise VA
Follow Rt 23 north to Pikeville KY
Take RT 80 out of Pikeville into Prestonsburg KY
Take RT 114 out of Prestonsburg into Slayresville KY
In Slayersville you pick up the Mountain Parkway into Lexington KY and I64
I then took I64 into Louisville KY and on to Madison IN from there

Enjoy Virginia's RT 58 - it truly is an amazing route that crosses Virginia and there have been several essays about that route

Be safe out there
Calypso 2

Just ran the route on Google Maps. That looks like one great ride from Abingdon to Lexington (or at least most of the way to Lexington). I can see why it took you 14 hours (with those delays). Going to keep this route in my back pocket.

I will see if I can find one of those Rt 58 essays. Thanks FRUBIO

The best part of Rt 58 is the section between Volney, Va (where Rt 16 and Rt 58 join) and Damascus, Va. The rest if a very nice ride but that is where the curves are.

Back