• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rob Nye in 34 position after first leg of Iron Butt Rally

You're welcome!

Love sharing the incredible riders who compete in this event.

LOTS of really cool BMW's too!

John Coons is my sentimental favorite since he's riding an R11RS just like Big RED, only not RED.
Great competitor and most amazing bike. Performing flawlessly!

Voni
sMiling

If anyone happens to run into Keith Keating, would you please be kind enough to tell him that Bob MacFarland sends him his best? Keith is an old riding buddy of mine from a LOOOOOOOONG time ago that I lost touch with.

Rob !!
Way To Go Man!

See you back in New Bedford/Dartmouth, MA sometime soon.
It's was Thursday eve 9:18 pm EST, back in NY, and
we hope you are getting a little mini-shut-eye under
some overhang of a bank, or a petrol stop.

Bob Hidgon Writes in the IBA Report at 12 midnight 7/12/13,
Day 11:
A Long Last Night.....
The checkpoint at the Marriott hotel in Cranberry Township opens for early
scoring tomorrow morning at 4:00 EDT. Time penalties will begin one second
after 8:00 a.m.at a rate of 20 points per minute. Any riders not checked in by the
time that Mickey?s hands are pointing to ten will be time-barred. They will be
welcome at the final banquet, but they won?t hear their names being called.
I will try to put up some interim reports during the day as the fog of war begins to
lift. The last post of the day will issue shortly after the winner?s name is revealed.
Until then we?ll leave you with Bette Davis? immortal words in All about Eve:
?Fasten your seatbelts. It?s going to be a bumpy night,?
Bob Higdon

Where the Frig is the Marriott Hotel in Cranberry Township ???

Enjoy the finish Rob, you've got under ten hours to get there....

Good Tidings All!
Jim

Last edited:
Rob made it in

Rob made it in. Sadly, Ken Meese, riding a 1600 GTL crashed about 330 miles from the end of the ride. Reports are his injuries are not thought to be serious. If you recall, he hit a coyote in 2011 and was pretty seriously hurt. I believe he was a finisher in 2009. This year, he was in 6th place at the end of both Leg 1 and 2. Hats off to all of the riders who attempted this incredibly challenging ride. One 1000 mile day wipes me out, I can't imagine doing 11 of them in a row.

Thru at Number Five...

Rob came over the finish line as the 5th finisher according to Bob H.
Musta' been somewhere between 3:15 am and 5 am today, Friday July 12, 2013.
What a glorious feeling that must have been!
Way to go Rob!

I always find it interesting to read about mechanical failures; what broke and on what kind of bike. Obviously, I have great sympathy for anyone whose attempt came to an end because of a failure, but the IBR is like a torture test, so we get to find out where weaknesses are. Is there any kind of summary about this?

5 of the top 10 finishers were on FJR 1300's.
3 were Beemers

Rob placed 31st.

Back