• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ford Fusion or an Aston Martin?

Bit of a stretch to say that the Ford Fusion looks a lot like the Aston. Sure, the grille shape is quite similar (I don't think Ford would "borrow" such an obvious design feature from Chevrolet or Honda, but Aston Martin is small enough and exclusive enough to not care) But look at the proportions of the iconic Aston grille and the Fusion's copycat. The Ford grille is grossly oversized and absolutely overwhelms the front end while the Aston grill is much smaller and, I suspect, no larger than it needs to be. Aston has had the sexiest grille in production since... well, since Goldfinger. There is a trend in automotive styling right now that calls for enormous grilles. Audi may have started this trend several years ago with its big, ugly, square grilles and the stylist have gone over the top with the Toyota Avalon, and Mazda's goofy-smiley mouth, for example.

That said, the Ford Fusion is, in my opinion, the sharpest looking of the mid-size competitors with the Accord and Camry looking kinda conservative and dowdy. It's a fiercely competitive market segment, but Ford seems to be selling a bunch of Fusions so they got it right. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've been told.

The day after I win the Powerball lottery, I'm buying an Aston.:thumb Will I need snow tires here in New England?

pete

Bit of a stretch to say that the Ford Fusion looks a lot like the Aston. Sure, the grille shape is quite similar (I don't think Ford would "borrow" such an obvious design feature from Chevrolet or Honda, but Aston Martin is small enough and exclusive enough to not care) But look at the proportions of the iconic Aston grille and the Fusion's copycat. The Ford grille is grossly oversized and absolutely overwhelms the front end while the Aston grill is much smaller and, I suspect, no larger than it needs to be. Aston has had the sexiest grille in production since... well, since Goldfinger. There is a trend in automotive styling right now that calls for enormous grilles. Audi may have started this trend several years ago with its big, ugly, square grilles and the stylist have gone over the top with the Toyota Avalon, and Mazda's goofy-smiley mouth, for example.

Kinda reminds me of the Bimmerphile comments about Pontiac grills in the mid-90's. If the Focus drove as well as it's grill looks, I would buy one.

If the Focus drove as well as it's grill looks, I would buy one.

We had a first-generation rental Fusion (I think you meant Fusion) in Hawaii in January of this year. I'm picky (not to say strange) about cars: my regular drive is a VW Passat (manual, 12 years so far), prior Saab 900T (manual, 20 years), BMW 2002 (manual, 9 years), etc. etc. The Fusion was surprisingly good. It was soft, and had an automatic, but I could make the driver's position comfortable, the steering was reasonably communicative, it was quiet, and everything worked in a predictable and reasonable way. The interior styling was a little overdone, but all in all, it wasn't bad.

Most notable feature was the wipers' wash function. Most cars swipe the wipers a few times after washing, then stop; the driver then has to swipe them again five or ten seconds later to mop up the leftover liquid. The Fusion made that latter swipe automatically. Made me grin every time I saw it.

No, they are all rear wheel drive or all wheel drive.

First sentence in entire thread is ...

Has anyone else noticed how much the new Ford Fusion looks like an Aston Martin?

It's a thread about Fords.

In post immediatedly preceding mine ...

... the new Fusion and Focus grills do give the cars a very muscular look. I've driven the Fusion and they seem like very nice cars. But, they are sold to fleet and rental agencies, so don't expect a good resale/trade value.

In continues to be a thread about Fords.

My post was about Fords, too. They are front wheel drive, meaning those being discussed.

but all in all, it wasn't bad.

I drive Fusions quite often as they are 1/3 of my employers sedan fleet. The other makes are Imapalas and the Dodge family sedan. The Fusions are the most competent of the group, but the Impala seems to have more interior space and a down right massive trunk. The Dodge is something I just don't understand and it seems very thirsty in comparison to the Impala and Fusion. The typical drive is 400-mi round trip. The Fusion usually doesn't require a gas stop and the Impala might not. The Dodge ??? definitely requires a gas stop.

And, yes, I specifically meant the Focus. If I want fun car, I'm not going to pick something big. It's that mass and inertia thing.............

Back