• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bringing a 2007 R1200RT-P back to life

danix

Looks like I'm getting a bike at auction. 07 RTP, just under 18k miles, has been sitting for close to 3 years.
It needs a battery for sure, then I have two choices.

a) bring a battery, ride it home, do some work myself on it
b) have it towed to the local dealer, let them sort it ($$$)

I believe but am not positive that the 07 should have the non-servo brakes and a brake fluid flush is a standard process (I'm really puzzled by the tech article that shows compressing the brake calipers with C-clamps to remove fluid - this seems unnecessary and dumb).

Anything else you would check?

Looks like I'm getting a bike at auction. 07 RTP, just under 18k miles, has been sitting for close to 3 years.
It needs a battery for sure, then I have two choices.

a) bring a battery, ride it home, do some work myself on it
b) have it towed to the local dealer, let them sort it ($$$)

I believe but am not positive that the 07 should have the non-servo brakes and a brake fluid flush is a standard process (I'm really puzzled by the tech article that shows compressing the brake calipers with C-clamps to remove fluid - this seems unnecessary and dumb).

Anything else you would check?

3 year old tires will likely have a hard slick coating on them. .You might want new. At least put on a new oil filter before you ride, sitting in oil for 3 years, some brands may come apart. Doubt if an BMW one would , but aftermarket who knows.

Compressing the brake calipers like shown minimizes the fluid in them for the bleed, you get a higher percent of new fluid. Just sitting inside should not have much moisture in the brakes, if it was outside that would be first thing I did.

Learning to do the work yourself is a reward.

Rod

What is the bike's history? Was it a civilian purchase originally? I can't see how a RT-P that saw service duty has such low miles.
Check it over thoroughly, at the least, change ALL fluids and the tires.

Here in the East, a couple years ago a few cities auctioned off low mileage RT-Ps because they were caught in floods where they were stored. If there's any electrical or electronic issues (other than a battery) - run, don't walk, away. Be careful at auctions.

The bike was a former Sacramento County Sheriff unit. Due to the recession, their bikes got mothballed in 2010 and haven't run since.
They are now putting a few back in service and auctioning off the rest. I verified history with the local dealer (A&S)

Fuel

I would be most concerned about the fuel lines, injectors, etc. I don't know if these were drained or maybe a stabilizer was added, but even so is that good for 5-6 years? Gas can turn to shellac. Probably will need a good inspection and lots of cleaning/cleaner.

If the department mothballed them properly, they may start with a battery and gas. If not, Plan on new injectors and probably a fuel pump. My dealer will not touch a bike that has been sitting over a year. They say in most cases the cost is not worth it.

We'll see. The facility guy told me that several people have just showed up with a battery and ridden away. I'm going the conservative route and having it transported to A&S.

I'd do what you propose

Back to your original question, I'd bring a battery and some gas and try to start it just to see what happens. Whether oil and other lubricants sit in a can or a sump for 5 years will probably not make a giant difference as far as the long term life of the bike. If you can start it and get it to run decently you are probably 90% or more good to go.

My dealer will not touch a bike that has been sitting over a year. They say in most cases the cost is not worth it.

Really?
Yes, I agree if the bike's book value is only $500. But if that's really their general policy, I wouldn't trust them for anything.

We'll see. The facility guy told me that several people have just showed up with a battery and ridden away. I'm going the conservative route and having it transported to A&S.

Good choice. It's not like you gotta get it on the road immediately.

Before you commit to having A&S do a lot of work to it, if A&S was the dealer Sacramento Sheriff dept used, they would have all their records of what they have done to it. Ask them to print out a report. I know it's only 18K miles but what you'd be looking for is a recurring problem of some kind. And even though you wouldn't think so, 18K is enough miles for the bike to need a clutch, especially if the officers came to BMW from Harley or if they beat the heck out of their motors. But since it's only at 18K, I wouldn't worry too much.

Good for You! If I may ask, what (ballpark) was the auction price. I have thought about a "project bike" and a RT-P sounds like a good start.

Bob

Already checked the full history with A&S, nothing remarkable, just normal service and one recall. New tires at 17k, bike only has 18500 miles or so now.
I got the bike for $6001 plus auction fees, so $6600.

There are several more RTPs from Sacramento and a few from Brea (also in CA). Recent sales for bikes with 50k miles or so were in the high 5000s so I think $6000 for a 18k mile bike is a great deal.

The website is publicsurplus.com if you want to browse.
For example here is a 2008 with 39k miles coming up in Brea - has new clutch and transmission (frankly not sure if that's a good or bad sign):http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=938976

I would change all the fluids in it. Easy to do yourself. I just order the parts from beemerboneyard. If you need help and can get the bike down to San Jose, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks natrab, may take you up on that offer. Payment is going to take 48 hours so looks like nothing is happening today anyway, gives me more time to figure out what I want to do.

I would have to agree that you did get a great deal. Change the fluids, do a safety check while changing the fluids, and ride away! Good luck with it, and many safe miles!

Sounds Like A Good Deal!

if it's got a clean history, I'll bet it will be a great find for you. FYI, there was a recall for what's called the "ring antenna" which is part of the security system for the bike. That may have been done. Also, there was a recall for some brake lines which I believe went into effect while the bike was sitting idle.

Another thing you might need to know is that BMW changed over the braking system on the RT (dunno if on the RT-P) between the 2007 and 2008 models. The later models don't have a servo-assisted system (sometimes referred to as "the whizzy brakes"). The older system was a little more complicated and required more steps for maintenance. A&S should know about that. Also, I believe the RT-P has two batteries, but also a fan behind the oil cooler which is thermostatically-activated. Finally, BMW changed the required amount of fluid in the Final Drive...I believe the new amount is 180cl. Again, A&S will know.

I hope it works out for you...:thumb

For example here is a 2008 with 39k miles coming up in Brea - has new clutch and transmission (frankly not sure if that's a good or bad sign)

That's a good sign in my opinion. Police bikes go through clutches much faster than civilian bikes, especially if the bike was used during any motor officer schools. Even at 18k miles, I would check the clutch on the bike you're picking up as well and not be surprised if it needs to be replaced sooner than you might expect.

Sounds like you got a good deal though, post a picture when it's officially yours!

Really?
Yes, I agree if the bike's book value is only $500. But if that's really their general policy, I wouldn't trust them for anything.

Their issue is people buy a parked bike for a song thinking they are getting a bargain, then have fit when they get a bill for a new BMW fuel system, plus whatever else it needs. They are a small shop, and are rather selective about what what they work on. I was just pointing out that these things can be a bargain, but you really have to watch what you are getting into.

OK, now I follow now that you clarified it further. People bringing in their low priced "one of a kind deals and steals" that they found. Your first comment related that they wouldn'y touch ANY bike that had been sitting for a year.

Back