• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A pleasant little trip

Took the 76 R90 and the little wife on a 250 mile or so down to see the parents today. Did some interstate, did some two lane and some relatively big city driving and it was all good. I just find myself looking down at those two cylinders and just marveling at how well this old power plant keeps plugging away. Stopped at a tavern for a bite to eat and find myself turning around for just one more last look. I love how clean the design is, how symmetrical, how the gas tank doesn't look like it contains a tumor and the lack of plastic simply as a styling exercise. I know it's all subjective, but to me, this look has yet to be improved on...it's beautiful and timeless.

I know exactly what you mean.

May not be "stylish" by today's "sprocket rocket" standards, or "classy" looking by some, but to me, it is the ultimate. After getting my new tires and shocks, along with getting the mechanical stuff up to reliable, the last few rides of mine have been exactly as you described yours.

Pure joy!

I've ridden both with and without Vetter and while I like around town without, I think that it is a huge necessity on any kind of longer ride.

Wouldn't be without it!

I don't like just sitting around looking at my bike, I want to go places! Fairing adds some comfort!

It's just too bad that Vetter closed down when it did; we had several new ideas on the boards when the doors closed. The concept that I was most interested in pursuing was an interchangeable sport fairing that you could put on your Windjammer mounting hardware, and plug in the wiring harness. After Craig sold the company, and was no longer involved with R&D, the new owners were more interested in maximizing profits. They weren't too interested in spending money on new product development, and not being motorcyclists themselves didn't help us out in R&D a whole lot.

I put a ton of miles on my /5 behind a Windjammer; really good protection (especially for the day) but I finally took it off when my wife started riding less (now not at all). Big difference taking 30+ pound off the front end makes...

Woulda shoulda coulda....

I doubt anyone ever at Vetter would ever have matched the BMW RT fairing, and when it arrived they were pretty much dead for BMW owners. An early example of "universal" means does little well anywhere and is mostly wishful thinking and really isn't. Mount a fairing with hose clamps? Bend the turn signals stalks out of the way? Blacksmithery at its worst, especially when contrasted with BMW's beautiful work.

When I bought my R65 in1982 I installed a Don Vesco fairing. I did it where I could always go back to stock when I wanted to. My R90/6 came with a lufminster fairing which was not what I wanted. I installed a RS fairing on it. Luckily the PO did not butcher anything and I could go bak stock also. Nothing like the Airheads. Will be riding them until I can't. Still don' see a new bike that I like as much as these.

Don

I just find myself looking down at those two cylinders and just marveling at how well this old power plant keeps plugging away.

I find myself doing that too. Great feeling.

Mr. Christensen you may not be aware of it, but there is a huge difference between engineering a product to fit many makes, and models, of motorcycles and designing a dedicated product to fit a specific model for a manufacturer. You have no idea of the personnel working at Vetter at the time, who we collaborated with, or the manufacturers we did proprietary work for.

and when it arrived they were pretty much dead for BMW owners. An early example of "universal" means does little well anywhere and is mostly wishful thinking and really isn't.

Would you please translate this into English for me. Or don't.

RT Fairing

My R80RT fairing is the best thing in my opinion. It's big and heavy but it keeps the bugs outta my teeth, the vents do a great job keeping me cool, there's bonus storage or room for a stereo (never!), plus I always know when my blinker is on (voltmeter) and the time. The negatives are mainly maintenance related, but so far it's fairingly simple. Oftentimes I stand back from my bike, marvel at it's appearance, then my mind wanders to it's appearance without the bodywork and caf? 'd. But then I'd have bugs in my teeth :D, a sore butt and no storage.

I did see a bike with the Windjammer sitting at a caf? in a nearby town. To me it's f-ugly in comparison to the RT fairing. I suspect it is functional and was better looking in the 70's, kind of like a Gremlin or the wood grain body stick-ons :dunno. From what I have seen of Vetter, the Japanese and Triumph versions (60's?) had the best looks.

Bringing back the topic at hand... I agree with 157149, Old airheads are just the thing for pleasant little trips!

Since I had the day off and the weather here was nothing short of perfect I rode about 100 miles at an easy pace on my (un-faired and totally beautiful) /5 this afternoon. The experience of riding a classic boxer never gets old, I'm always smiling when I arrive and that engine noise is all the music I need for the trip.

paulr75.jpg

To me, the RT fairing looks like *&#)%#^& crap !!!!

While I am sure everyone has his/her opinion, the Luftmeister fairing is probably the best looking half-fairing/handlebar fairing going.

I look at all those Harley Riders (about 70% of them) and their fairings and I about up-chuck!

Jimmy -

This is another one of the personal choices we get to make. I had a Vetter fairing on my old Honda 750-4...that was my first motorcycle and I guess that kind of set the tone for me. My /7 came with the frame-mounted Luftmeister...fit me like a glove and I'll never take it off. I've owned an R100RS but the riding position killed me. I've also had a Honda V45 with the sport type fairing...not bad but I never really took it long distances. My R69S has a Wixom handlebar fairing...good enough for local riding. The R25/2 is naked...can't afford to put anything else up to create more of a barn door...the bike is doing it can do to keep up with street traffic!

To each his own...our bikes, we get to make the decision. :thumb

fairings

I really think back in the 70's everyone went a little dresser nuts. It was a fad, and I had to have a luftmeister on my /6. But these bikes are really not big enough to make them into a "dresser". I think the fairing is what caused me to lose interest in the bike. I bought a Goldwing, and sold it very soon because it just didn't handle like the /6. Then there were several HD dressers, one of which I still regret getting rid of.

When I bought another /6 I wanted to stay pretty basic with just a windshield, but I am seriously thinking about a Parabellum Scout. I love the look. They are not heavy. But that is a lot of money to spend on a bike that I couldn't sell for 1/3 of what I have invested.

But then I am never going to sell this one, so what does another $800 matter??????????????????????

Yeah, it seems that when the Vetter fairings came out, I saw a lot of them on various bikes. I even put a Windjammer III on my '74 Kaw Z-1. Looking at the old photos, it probably didn't do too much to enhance the bike's appearance, but it sure did extend my riding season at both ends.:thumb

If I ever get an Airhead, it will be a 100RT, and I will leave the fairing on. I happen to like the looks of it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I had a vetter on my old /5 swb and thought it was beautiful. It worked well for me for many thousands of miles. I had a cafe faring on my old r90s and of course it was beautiful and my r100rs full faring is the most beautiful of all.

I won't attempt to teach anyone manners here; I tried that once before and got attacked.

DW

Just a thought...

The RT/RS fairings are state of the art. That having been said you should look into Hannigan Fairings. They are probably one of the best/most functional fairings on the market.

Looking at the old photos, it probably didn't do too much to enhance the bike's appearance, but it sure did extend my riding season at both ends.

I'm not so sure that back in the seventies it was so much a fad as it was the realization that you didn't have to freeze your tucus off while riding. I think it went hand-in-hand with the recent release of the 750 Honda; more people were beginning to ride, more people were riding farther, and came to realize a desire to be more comfortable. The extra storage was handy too. There were other frame mounted fairings, Vetter just happened to be first in the category.

The WJ was not the perfect solution, but nothing ever is, to every person.

Last edited:
Back