• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

77 r100rs best tires

Gpr100rs

I have always run period correct Continentals. They perform reasonably well, but I don't ride real hard. One issue is their performance on freeways with rain grooves, the bike shimmies around quite a bit. A little disconcerting, but I never feel like there's any real loss on control. Might be more a function of the tire size (3.25-19 front and 4.00-18 rear), than design. I'd like to hear from others who are running a different tire. Perhaps the shimmy is unavoidable??

I have always run period correct Continentals. They perform reasonably well, but I don't ride real hard. One issue is their performance on freeways with rain grooves, the bike shimmies around quite a bit. A little disconcerting, but I never feel like there's any real loss on control. Might be more a function of the tire size (3.25-19 front and 4.00-18 rear), than design. I'd like to hear from others who are running a different tire. Perhaps the shimmy is unavoidable??

Those ribbed front tires are good at producing shimmy's. The shimmy seems to be pretty harmless for as long I've known about it although it can be disconcerting at times. I approach it from your viewpoint; period correct just looks right!

I recently installed a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front of my R100/7 and a Dunlop retro on the back. Had my first encounter with the rain grooves last Sunday, and my bike was all over the place! An I/m an experienced rider.

I just quit trying to fight it, and allowed it to "float" and did just fine. Just takes some getting used to!

Avon Roadriders

I run them on my R90/6. Very good on long bridge grates like the one over the intercoastal canal at Hackberry La. Also they aren't bothered by rain grooves. By far the best I have used in the correct size. Lots of folks use the Conti Go tires. I may try them next time for kicks.

I run Metzler's, ME88 on the front and ME880 on the rear, metric equivalent or close to it, to the inch measurements. They wear like iron, and give decent traction. They work pretty well for me, but I'm not out canyon carving or anything, either.

I've heard good things about the Avon's, too, so that may be my next set.

Back in the day, everyone immediately abandoned rib front tires when the Metzeler ME33 front tire appeared. Usually matched with ME77 or ME99. Forgot about rain grooves after that.

Back in the day, everyone immediately abandoned rib front tires when the Metzeler ME33 front tire appeared. Usually matched with ME77 or ME99. Forgot about rain grooves after that.

Short hijack in progress: What tires do you like on your G/S. Right now I am a 90/10 highway/dirt rider with a worn Pirelli Scorpion on the front and Bridgestone Trail Wing on the back. Those tires work well enough but I like matched sets. Would Diztanzias or something of that nature suit? I've never bought tires for my G/S yet so no experience there.

Hijack over: Sorry bout that! :D

They are not "period correct" but the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires are an excellent tire for a reasonable price. I use a 90/90 front and 110/90 rear. The "new" RB2/K112A combo is crazy expensive.

Not only are the Spitfires not period correct, they're not size correct either. There are no metric equivalents to specified Airhead sizes.

On my G/S I have Conti TKC80s in correct sizes, I.e. 3.00X21 and 4.00X18 ordered from M&P in the UK. I'm likely to fit Metzelers next.

On my G/S I have Conti TKC80s in correct sizes, I.e. 3.00X21 and 4.00X18 ordered from M&P in the UK. I'm likely to fit Metzelers next.

Thanks. Lots of confusion on british tire sizes spec'd for german bikes. All the tire sites in NA show 90/90 21 and 120/80 18 for the R80G/S.

I need to do some more digging on sizing and better my understanding.
3 inches is 76.2 mm which is nowhere near 90mm. At least 21 is still 21. Inches... :scratch

Michelin Pilot Actives. Available in the correct inch sizes and they give excellent performance. ContiGo is also available in inch size but my experience with them is they wear out crazy fast. Very soft tire, great handling but they'll be gone in 4,000 miles maybe less.

What bad thing supposedly happens?

To name a few "maybe not so bad" things:

- difficulty clearing the rear brake and shock
- could rub the inside of the swingarm tube
- change in steering geometry...maybe only a racer will notice the increased effort to turn the wheel due to the change in profile
- bike sits lower, so the centerstand and sidestand don't function normally

Conti Go tires

Michelin Pilot Actives. Available in the correct inch sizes and they give excellent performance. ContiGo is also available in inch size but my experience with them is they wear out crazy fast. Very soft tire, great handling but they'll be gone in 4,000 miles maybe less.
I have Conti Go's on my R80RT (with "s" fairing) for the last 9K miles and still have more than half life on the rear and 70% life left on the front. Grant it I never ride 2 up nor do I ride very aggressively until I get to the twisties, plus the fact that I'm only 145 lbs. I am very pleased with the performance of the Conti's

I ride on a lot of dirt back roads so I went with the old school Dunlop K70's. And yes, the old school looks. They preform well enough but looking at the rear....maybe I'll get 5k mi. out of it. Front will most likely go twice that.
May try the Heidenau next.

Just made the leap to Pirelli

Sport Demon. For my 78 R100RS. Love them. Plus, the rear tire fits without interfering with the drive shaft housing. I had Dunlop D404's which were fine, (had to use the axle spacer to clear the housing) but I follow F1 and the Pirelli's intrigued me enough to buy them. 120/90V-18 and 100/90v-19. Let me see how they wear. Reviews are good in that category. I've tried them all. Hated the Conti's, loved the Metzlers and Michelins. But they are getting a little pricey. The Dunlops wore too fast. So, there ya go. I've had my RS since 86 and that's my experience.

Back