• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

86 R80RT questions

Zimm

Learning more and more as I get to know this bike. A couple questions:

The right foot peg is a little more than an inch higher than the left with the bike on the center stand. I measured because the clearance between the peg, the carb, and the brake pedal seemed tight. Is this normal? Is it possible that somebody installed a part to lower the left side and not the right? I find myself having to look for the brake as it seems tucked a long way in, which is not necessarily a good thing. Advice is needed here.

A minor issue is that one of the covers for the storage bins in the fairing is rattling against the tank. It looks like the seals are missing and some wear has occurred at the four points where the cover rubs on the fairing. Can anyone suggest an easy fix?

Beginning to like this bike, which is making my 54 Golden Flash sad.

Thanks

Zimm

Can't you loosen the bolt that holds the footpeg in place and rorate it to a better position? You should see some teeth that mesh between the peg and the frame. Just rotate it and retorque.

storage bins

Zimm: On Mine I used a self adhesive weather strip around the edge to seal the lids to the faring pocket. If you turn the lids over you will see three fingers or tangs that hold the lid to the lower side of the pocket, opposite of the lock. These wear were they rub against fairing and allow the lid to ride closer to the tank. On mine I used foam earplugs to take up space under the finger. The lid now rides where it should and does not rattle. One day, when I think to do it, I intend to take the plugs out and fill the worn area with black RTV. It will give it a little of a pressure fit to help stop the rattles and wear. Good luck Frank

Can't you loosen the bolt that holds the footpeg in place and rorate it to a better position? You should see some teeth that mesh between the peg and the frame. Just rotate it and retorque.

Very little downward adjustment on the right side peg. I can come up, which doesn't make sense as my foot is already tight under the carb. Would like the brake pedal to be further out too.

Maybe its me that needs to adjust.

Back