• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New poster with question.

so_tx_rider

Greetings, I hope I'm on the correct forum; I own a 2011 R1200RT.
I've never encountered this issue, but a screw got lodged on the rear tire. See attachment.
I've called three shops, the first two stated I need to replace the tire due it it being a hazard to repair, the last one stated they would repair it for $90.
What are your opinions on this matter? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 379
Greetings, I hope I'm on the correct forum; I own a 2011 R1200RT.
I've never encountered this issue, but a screw got lodged on the rear tire. See attachment.
I've called three shops, the first two stated I need to replace the tire due it it being a hazard to repair, the last one stated they would repair it for $90.
What are your opinions on this matter? Thanks!

Replace the tire. Although unlikely plugs and internal patches can work loose. The vast majority of motorcycle facilities are not willing to assume the risk due to potentially being sued in the event of a crash.

Welcome aboard, so_tx_rider.

You'll find this topic - whether to repair or replace a punctured or damaged motorcycle tire - is a persistent one, coming up over and over again. The range of opinions vary from "always replace the tire" to "I've repaired tires for years successfully." Your tolerance for risk may be different than mine; your budget may be different, too.

I think most of us would agree on these points:

・ The larger the hole, the harder it is to patch.

・ Demounting the tire and repairing it from the inside produces a more durable repair than repair from the outside.

・ Wires in the tire's steel belt can cut and destroy externally-applied plugs.

・ Repairs to the sidewall are usually impossible, and, because of the sidewall's flexing, not a good idea.

This is a YMMV situation. I have repaired several tires with small holes in the tread. On the other hand, I'm well aware that continued inflation and a small patch of rubber is all there is between my body and the pavement. If I have any feeling at all that a repair would be dicey, I replace the tire. I've discarded a lot of good tread over the years, and slept much better for having done so.

I put a high value on safety, and yes I can afford to purchase a new tire if needed (I bought the bike new, cash). Ill go ahead and purchase a new tire.

BTW: I've already replaced the front one last month since it didn't pass inspection; the independent shop who changed out the tire stated BMW uses a cheap front tire since it wore out after 8000 miles. Paid $140 for a Michelin Pilot tire.

I would plug it and watch it for a few days. After that I would just check the air in it at the regular interval. I've never had a plugged tire fail on me. I'm to cheap to replace a tire with that much tread left. I know this post is going to get a lot of comments about safety and peace of mind. If it bothers you then replace the tire. I would not try to repair a tire with a sidewall failure.

I have had many tires plugged from the inside without ever leaking, any car tire place can do it'
take the tire off the rim and take it in hand.

Is it even leaking? I have had short screws like that, once removed...no leaky... And have plugged or internal patched many and gotten full life...sometimes 8K would be a blessing on chip-seal Texas roads.

As far as cheap tires...they spec two or three different brands. I have seen Metzelers, Continentals and I believe Dunlops on showroom models.
None are cheap, some just perform better than others.

AND...Welcome to the Forum:wave How's the heat this week in SoTX...105 here today!

I have had many tires plugged from the inside without ever leaking, any car tire place can do it'
take the tire off the rim and take it in hand.

Had an answer in place but then remembered this gentleman is calling to carry the tire-only in for repair. Probably eases the way but it can be exceptionally difficult to remove some of today's tires off a rim. And, very probably impossible to do so. If this solution appeals to you I would highly recommend trying to remove a tire at home first to determine if you yourself are capable of doing it. Also, different tire brands/models will have different levels of difficulty. Substantially different. I would try it at home. Should you change tire brand/model at some point I would try the new brand at home as well. In other words always test your capabilities every time you change brand/model tire. If you're going to rely on this answer as a potential solution you need to know with certainty you're capable of removing the tire in the first place.

A worthwhile alternative may be to carry a tube with you (assuming you have space) in order to get you out of a "situation". It will be easier having to deal with removing one-side of the tire as opposed to two. Then replace the tire (assuming tubeless) once you're back to civilization again. There are also temporary repair kits designed to hopefully get you going again if need be. But time to stop. These answers are beyond the scope of the question.

To get back to your question. In the world of motorcycles controlling your level of risk is a daily affair. Patches and plugs can work. The real question is are you willing to assume the risk of one letting go given the small chance that letting go will occur.

Found this answer in another thread entitled "First Tour in Five Years" a few threads below yours:

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/default.htm

These folks are stating the repair is permanent. I'm not going to comment on that. However, I do think this is possibly a more realistic opportunity for self-repair when in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you have the ability to re-inflate the tire.

I unfortunately forgot the name of the person who posted this. He/she should be credited with this suggestion and not me.

I picked up a nail the other day. Wish I had taken a pic. Went in the grove hoizontal. Pulled it out no leak. Lucky me. I carry a plug kit for on the road but would replace the tire if I was home on in a place with a bike shop carrying tires and a mechanic to put it on.

I'd remove the screw.
Plug it.
Ride it.
Take the tire off and patch it from the inside when you have time and inclination.

If I owned a shop I wouldn't want the liability so would tell you "if you want us to do it we have to replace the tire".

an old rule? Bike has but two tires both on which our lives depend. Saving money seems not much of a consideration when it comes to the formula. there are plenty very good cheap new tires to be had. Two cents.

I think you made the correct decision to replace the tire. This is one of those that everyone has an opinion on. Some repair, some replace.

For me, I plug tires only to get to a shop to replace them. It's my life that is at risk if the patch/plug/repair fails. To me, that's the end of the story.

To answer the oft asked question again, yes, I have seen the result of a crash - first hand - of a "repaired" tire failure. The rider was only slightly scuffed up becasue he was wearing the proper gear, but unfortunately, his motorcycle was laid up for three weeks getting repaired.

Not worth the risk - always replace IMO....

the independent shop who changed out the tire stated BMW uses a cheap front tire since it wore out after 8000 miles.

You should reconsider using this shop if they really believe that statement.

8000 miles is not a horribly low mileage for a front tire on an RT. Did your tire have cupping? That is a common problem on the R1200's. I have been running 39-40 PSI in my front tire for the past three tires and the cupping has ceased.

I want to thank you all for your input.

Let me add that I don't do long rides. I ride my bike to work and to cruise around my area, no more than a 50 mile perimeter from where I live.

Regarding the tire lasting 8,000 miles, I used to ride a Honda Shadow and it had 17,000 miles when I sold it without ever having to change a tire. So, for me it seemed like the RT tire was a cheap tire as they stated. Maybe the fact that it is a sport tire they last only 8,000 miles. I don't know.

The front tire had to be changed since it didn't pass inspection. They put a tire thread depth gauge and it showed in the red zone. I had to replace it at 8,000 miles.

Also, the tire does leak air. I didn't realize it had a screw at first. The warning light flashed yellow and the tire warning symbol appeared as I rode to work. It was a five mile ride and was not going to have time to put air in it, so I waited until I got out of work to inflate the tire at a nearby shop.

Once home, I parked my bike and didn't ride it for two weeks when I decided to take it for a cruise. As I began riding the warning light came on but was now red and the tire warning symbol again appeared. This is when I realized there was a problem. I stopped at a nearby store and looked at the tire closely. This is when I saw the screw.

Since I don't ride long distances and never had to change a tire I decided to ask on this forum if what the shops were telling me was correct: that it is best if you replace the tire.

So, I'm to understand that a bike tire is not like a car tire, and the best practice is it should be replaced instead of patched or plugged?

Finally, in Texas you are not allowed to plug a tire, it must be patched or the tire must be replaced.

I would plug it and watch it for a few days. After that I would just check the air in it at the regular interval. I've never had a plugged tire fail on me. I'm to cheap to replace a tire with that much tread left. I know this post is going to get a lot of comments about safety and peace of mind. If it bothers you then replace the tire. I would not try to repair a tire with a sidewall failure.

I agree to plug it and watch the pressure. I have plugged a half dozen or so on motorcycles and many more on cars without any problem at all. However, I recently plugged the rear tire on my Burgman 400 scooter with less than great results. It had a tiny wire in it and I did my normal plugging procedure. It had a slow leak around the plug so I replaced it again with another one like the first. It also leaked after a few days and I went and bought another "better" plug. It also started leaking after a couple of days and I ordered a new tire (the tire I was plugging was very recent). I put one last plug in it to make it until the new tire arrived. I think the hole just happened to be against the belt and the belt kept cutting the plug.

I think you made the correct decision to replace the tire. This is one of those that everyone has an opinion on. Some repair, some replace.

For me, I plug tires only to get to a shop to replace them. It's my life that is at risk if the patch/plug/repair fails. To me, that's the end of the story.

To answer the oft asked question again, yes, I have seen the result of a crash - first hand - of a "repaired" tire failure. The rider was only slightly scuffed up becasue he was wearing the proper gear, but unfortunately, his motorcycle was laid up for three weeks getting repaired.

Not worth the risk - always replace IMO....

I think in an effort to help others you have people make recommendations they themselves believe in. They have performed a repair or put off maintenance successfully therefore they feel they can make valuable suggestions to others. And, most of the time they're correct. The real problem lies in the fact that their experience universe is too small and they don't fully understand the repercussions that may be involved.

Plugging and/or patching tires can work. However, in the real world you do have instances where that plug or patch lets go. In the case of a motorcycle people will frequently fall when their tire looses air. So just because a given individual gets away with the repair a number of times in his/her life they feel it is OK to recommend to others as a long term fix. When a repair involves a potential safety issue people should not be telling others how their form of repair worked for them. Emergencies are one thing and long term repairs are another.

I know for fact plugs and/or patches can work. But it would be irresponsible on my part to recommend that as a long term fix because I also get to see the failures of that decision every once on awhile. I have no interest in putting someone in harms way. This goes back to my often stated internet reporter issue. If you're going to give advice on the internet don't give advice that has the potential to harm others despite your own record. In all likelihood you will get away safely with that form of repair. But what if you don't? What if you do crash? As Steve has stated it is not worth the risk. If that tire purchase hurts your financials that much you probably should be looking for another form of entertainment.

Replace the tire. Although unlikely plugs and internal patches can work loose. The vast majority of motorcycle facilities are not willing to assume the risk due to potentially being sued in the event of a crash.

Plugs are to get you home while touring.

Replace the tire - you life is riding on two very small patches of rubber - no time to get cheap! :nono

Back