• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'08 K1200GT Front ABS Sensor Gap

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
What is the spec for the front ABS sensor gap AND how is it adjusted?

Thanks.

:dance:dance:dance

I'll see if I can find the value...gotta be careful with those setups...the fixed cup on the left side is the adjustment I recall and sometimes folks loosen the pinch bolt holding it in place....only need to loosen right side to pull axle.

Thanks Steve,

On the buddy's bike that I just changed tires on, the unmoved threaded bushing on the left side is bottomed (giving the maximum clearance possible) yet the clearance is less than one dealer (who I don't have that much faith in) told us it should be. Another dealer (the one who did the previous tire changes) said it's fine as long as it doesn't hit (so much for paying attention to factory specs). When at all posible, I like to set things to design specs, unless I have good reason to change them.:deal

I understand how these work, and in practice, the second dealer is sort of right to a point, but any time I remove a wheel on an ABS bike, I always check the clearance just so future problems won't develop. If the gap is too close, sand and grit can get between them and damage the sensor or the ring. If the gap is too wide, the signal will be weak causing misreads at higher speed or no signal at all. Early K bikes are adjusted by shiming the sensor in or out, which looks like it would work on this bike, but there are no shims listed for these bikes. Moving the threaded bushing from its totally bottomed out position would just DECREASE the clearance and leave the bushing in a position where it is more likely to be able to move around.:dunno

I have seen those cups in various positions...I like the shims used on other models as well

My DVD reader on my PC is not cooperating at the moment. Sorry:dunno
edit:
Have three in the garage...well two S's and one GT...they are all at .016mm...sure looks like the old crescent shims would work there however...none of these are shimmed.

Uh Steve, .016mm is .0006". That's half of one thousandth of an inch. About 1/4 of the thickness of a human hair! Even if you got the decimal in the wrong place, you're well under spec!

Found a dealer who actually looked up the spec. And talked to a mechanic who actually KNEW what he was talking about!

On the wedge K1200s, they use a wide tolerance sensor. The spec. on the clearance (front and rear) is .2-1.7mm. That's .008" to .067".

The correct way to set the left side threaded bushing is hard up against the fork. The machining tolerances of all the other parts SHOULD yield a clearance within the .2-1.7 mm (.008"-.067") since it is such a wide tolerance (1/16") There is no adjustment. My buddies bike ended up at 1.06mm (.041") which is pretty much right in the middle of spec.

The tech said he gets S1000s in all the time with torn up ABS sensors because they think they need to loosen the pinch bolts and bounce the forks to get everything settled before tightening them. If the left bushing slides out even a little, it can decrease the clearance enough to trash the sensor. NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY as it was an improper adjustment! The flange of the bushing MUST be up against the fork.

You might want to remeasure yours Steve. But thanks for the effort!

:laugh:laugh:laugh It was 103 in the shop today!!...called it early so I may have had a bit of heat stroke reading the feelers!, but I will re-measure in the cool AM. That does seem close doesn't it.

A brand new K12GT had the cup backed out a lot a year or so ago...his bearings were toast after the first tire change the dealer did! Helen's K12S's is flush, mine is out a tiny bit. But the gauge dragged lightly on all three I read

Back