• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 1200 RT bluetooth issues

It is the dealers thought and several others I have met on different forums. I am o for 3 radios. Hmm seems like a radio problem to me. It is even worse with my phone. It will not pair with the gps and radio at the same time. Sounds much better just using the GPS as an mp3 player. Everything poionts to the radio. Glad your and others you know are ok. My experience has been very different.

RT Bluetooth

I am not trying to be difficult, but why does mine and a lot of other peoples work just fine?
That would indicate something other than a design flaw.
Regards
Paul

Maybe we're on to something here, Paul has the "non US" version. I haven't heard from anyone else in the USA who has good sound thru bluetooth when paired to the bike. I have decent sound when paired to my iphone, like several others have mentioned. Ok sound when paired to the Nav IV gps. Crap sound when paired to the bike radio. I don't think demanding a new bike is reasonable, I do think a credit of at least a substantial amount of the radio option cost is reasonable. Any lawyers on here? Sounds like a possible class action to me. I love my RT but it's pretty obvious the bluetooth in the radio is flawed. I'd trade it for a credit towards future rear drive or abs module replacement. ;)

R1200RT Blue Tooth Issue

My 2013 came equipped and I paired it with my Sena gear. Works and sounds great: AM, FM, Weather, XM, and Bluetooth to the smart phone.

Last edited:
It is the dealers thought and several others I have met on different forums. I am o for 3 radios. Hmm seems like a radio problem to me. It is even worse with my phone. It will not pair with the gps and radio at the same time. Sounds much better just using the GPS as an mp3 player. Everything poionts to the radio. Glad your and others you know are ok. My experience has been very different.

Look I hear your angst, and can understand your frustration. I am just trying to assist here with some logical thought. Is the radio the same in the USA as the Europe model? Why does the guy in Colorado seem to have no issues. Are their different brand radios installed ( i.e.. maybe 2 or 3 different ones in the US).
Has your dealer ( who must be as frustrated as you) got any ideas on the above. Has he got any ideas on what is wrong with yours compared to others?
I often find these sort of issues get down to just eliminating any possible variables and then something just pops up.
You obviously have had 3 radios( and I presume 3 BTbike devices) that don't work, so why does others work ? Were they all the same brand? What is different? When we can answer those questions BMW will become a lot more responsive I believe . Have you seen the dealers report to BMWNA ? What does it say? Have you seen their written response to that detail?

As I said just trying to be helpful. Sometimes when you are not directly involved a small detail shows up that is missed by people upset at poor results time and time again.
best regards
Paul

The dealer is working with the BMW tech department. Also working with customer service. It is like any product. Why did just some Toyotas have accelerator problems, not all Ford 6.0 truck engines hadproblems. However enough did and something was done. Toyota did a massive recall, Ford built a new engine. BMW has not been very forthcoming with info about anything. Basically they are trying the shot gun approach. I have seen the dealers inquiries. BMW doesn't give answers, only suggestions that don't work. That seems to be standard fare with BMW. There have been several on this thread who are having problems. As said earlier mine will not pair with a Sena headset and even if it did BMW only will warranty if it is paired with their headset. They will not assume any resposiblity if another manufacturer is involved. With any product a percentage will work and some won't. It seems as the word gets around more poorly woking audio systems . People are speaking up and not accepting BMW's usual attitude. For 24K I expect a better company attitude and product. Some people don't. I work hard for my $ and want a quality product. The radio is an Alpine product.

No improvement. As an aside, a customer brought in his 2011RT. Paired my helmet with his radio - terrible sound. Paired another helemt - terrible sound. He didn't use it because of the sound. So thanks for a sounding board to vent my frustrations. Due to legal advise I will not be making anymore public comments concerning my radio.

Hmmm

Hey Hogwide, if this works out for you let me know as I agree and feel I got swindled on the bluetooth radio. You would be doing all a service to post your results when you have seen this through. Thanks.

One other thing - MOA says they will act on your behalf for problems like this. Have you tried them?

Back