• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Warranty repair doesn't pay for everything...?

Funny how that goes. Here I say "sometimes" and "rather often" and that is supposed to be "absolutely wrong" just because in one case it doesn't apply....

Sorry Mr. EMSimon, oil is warranty if REQUIRED as part of the repair. I've been paid many times for oil. And, I'm talking far more than "one case".

Funny how that goes. Here I say "sometimes" and "rather often" and that is supposed to be "absolutely wrong" just because in one case it doesn't apply....

By the way, there is a separate section on the warranty submittal for consumables such as oil. Oil is not grouped in with other hard parts.

Something else I thought of. Every state I have worked in gives dealerships certain rights in their transactions with an OEM in order to avoid the OEM from becoming overbearing and making threats. This can get complicated and I am at best partially literate in that area of law. Which basically means don't necessarily believe me. Possibly there are states that allow an OEM to non-reimburse consumables.

I could use some help on a 2012 warranty card. Got one?

Not trying to be combative at all, just looking for the facts. I would like to know what they are because without them misunderstandings arise when expectations are not based on facts. In this case I had a different understanding of my warranty than the dealer did, perhaps because that was my past experience and I have never seen my 2012 warranty in writing since I bought the bike used from a private party. If both parties know exactly what the warranty agreement is going in I think this is less likely to happen. That is all I am looking for here, and from the postings by others so far it seems there are many varying ideas about what the warranty covers or doesn't. So I don't think I am alone here.

I went back through the docs for my old 2007 R1200RT and found the warranty card for 2007 USA models. I have posted it below so you know what it looks like. Does anyone have one of these for a 2012 model that the could scan and send to me? I'd like to see if there are any differences. As far as I can see the 2007 card does not make any exclusions for consumables or anything when a warranty repair is made.

warranty 2007 BMW.jpg

Not trying to be combative at all, just looking for the facts. I would like to know what they are because without them misunderstandings arise when expectations are not based on facts. In this case I had a different understanding of my warranty than the dealer did, perhaps because that was my past experience and I have never seen my 2012 warranty in writing since I bought the bike used from a private party. If both parties know exactly what the warranty agreement is going in I think this is less likely to happen. That is all I am looking for here, and from the postings by others so far it seems there are many varying ideas about what the warranty covers or doesn't. So I don't think I am alone here.

I went back through the docs for my old 2007 R1200RT and found the warranty card for 2007 USA models. I have posted it below so you know what it looks like. Does anyone have one of these for a 2012 model that the could scan and send to me? I'd like to see if there are any differences. As far as I can see the 2007 card does not make any exclusions for consumables or anything when a warranty repair is made.

View attachment 40738

Unless I missed it nothing indicates consumables are not warranted.

You should read GM the extended warranty. I have a powertrain warranty and if my engine or transmission blows up, it doesn't cover everything. fluids aren't, neither are the belts, hoses, any oil coolers or lines, spark plugs, or any of the sensors, coil and spark plug wire, etc.

I do think they should have reset your DEI for free.

You should read GM the extended warranty. I have a powertrain warranty and if my engine or transmission blows up, it doesn't cover everything. fluids aren't, neither are the belts, hoses, any oil coolers or lines, spark plugs, or any of the sensors, coil and spark plug wire, etc.

I do think they should have reset your DEI for free.

Good for GM I guess, bad for the customer.

I've warranted oil I don't know how many times. Done properly it gets approved.

Thanks Ponch for writing! It's always good to hear from you!!

Good for GM I guess, bad for the customer.

I've warranted oil I don't know how many times. Done properly it gets approved.

Thanks Ponch for writing! It's always good to hear from you!!

In the case of the oil sight glass, I think the oil should be replaced on BMW's dime. If a waterpump went, wouldn't some cooland have to be replaced? Yes. Sometimes it's the dealer though. I had a power steering pump go out under warranty on a Ford Windstar van. They tried to sell me a power steering system flush. My response was that the fluid had to be replaced when the pump is replaced, so why do I need a flush? I continued that if it's necessary, it should be covered by the warrantied repair. It pretty much shut the service writer up. I hate when they try to up sell unnecessary stuff, probably because they don't get much for the repair from Ford and who knows if they'd even do it anyway.

Has this forum become the place where people come to vent their spleens about alleged injustices visited upon them by evil companies?

I swear, some of you have too much time on your hands.

No it comes from companies not treating their customers right and taking resposibility for their products. If they would there would be even more hungry lawyers since there would be fewer cases.

I didn't receive a copy of the warranty when I purchased my 2012 GS. I think I'll ask for one next time I visit the dealer

Hmmmm

Resets, sight glasses, plastic fuel disconnects, warranty work......I sure like my old airhead.

DW

Well, when your bike is broke and you only own one bike you do have more time on your hands. Therefore you fill up some of that time by writing in to the forum. Sometimes the beef is legitimate, sometimes not. But hey you've got nothing better to do anyway.

. This can get complicated and I am at best partially literate in that area of law. Which basically means don't necessarily believe me. Possibly there are states that allow an OEM to non-reimburse consumables.

I wasn't even talking about consumables. I was talking about consequential damages. And I wasn't talking about the specific OEM(s) you were working with. And as the poster about GM warranty confirms, there are warranties that exclude consequential damages. Just like the spark plug, that blows apart and destroys an engine.

I wasn't even talking about consumables. I was talking about consequential damages. And I wasn't talking about the specific OEM(s) you were working with. And as the poster about GM warranty confirms, there are warranties that exclude consequential damages. Just like the spark plug, that blows apart and destroys an engine.

Sorry, I was addressing a BMW motorcycle-related warranty question in a BMW motorcycle-related forum and I should be concerned about other similar industries because...?

Do answers now have to include all sorts of man made whatever in order to be accurate? I'm not that bright number one and number two I have other things to do in life. I was giving a valid answer for a specific question.

Sorry, I was addressing a BMW motorcycle-related warranty question in a BMW motorcycle-related forum and I should be concerned about other similar industries because...?

Do answers now have to include all sorts of man made whatever in order to be accurate? I'm not that bright number one and number two I have other things to do in life. I was giving a valid answer for a specific question.

And it could be something capricious, in other words there's a lot of windage in interpretation by the dealer or BMWNA. Did anyone find literature of what's covered and what isn't?

And it could be something capricious, in other words there's a lot of windage in interpretation by the dealer or BMWNA. Did anyone find literature of what's covered and what isn't?

There go them big words again :D

Ponch, I think the answer is the lack of words. An omission. Omissions leave plenty of room for mis-statements as assumptions seemed to be brought into the picture. Don't have a warranty in front of me but if memory serves me correctly there are no statements indicating oil and/or consumables are not covered. Other than a few listed exceptions the warranty is pretty darn inclusive. IMO it's a good warranty. BMW however is a genuine stickler on the accuracy of submitted warranties. Having attended their warranty training class I can assure you there are many misunderstandings on how to fill out the submittal. Oil is the perfect example. If it is not listed in the appropriate field you will NOT get paid for it. BMW will not correct the submittal. That is 100% dealer responsibility. Do it wrong not only will you not collect what you're entitled to you will be penalized on warranty audits. It is however a one-way street. If you under-claimed you'll never see the money. If you over-claimed or made any paperwork errors they will charge you back. Their not there to verify with the customer you actually performed a warranty repair. They couldn't care less about that. They want to know with certainty you followed an approved diagnostic trail. Leave notes off the repair order and/or decide your diagnostic trail makes more sense than theirs and they will take their money back. And, there is something to be said for that. I mention this because dealer employees can be afraid of BMW's power. Sometimes it becomes a lot easier to ask the customer to pay for something rather than have the dealer principle get mad at you for not getting paid everything you're entitled to on a warranty. And neither the dealer principle nor the employee know how to fill out the submittal properly in order to avoid such things as chargebacks. A dealer getting hit with a 5-figure chargeback will create such a level of fear within an employee that it becomes far easier to charge the customer.

BMW cannot be blamed for everything as the dealer does need to act in a competent manner. But an ever present fear of potential chargebacks will make some act in their own interest as opposed to customer interest. Sad to say but it is a natural byproduct.

What's so odd to me is they almost never ask for the failed component back. Easy for me to say here and maybe inaccurate as I have never worked for an OEM but I can't help but think that is why some of their problems are on-going. Don't the engineers want to see continually failing product? Maybe their getting the failed components from elsewhere in the pipeline I really don't know.

Back