• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Don't Always Start On First Try

R

RIDERS

My 2012 G650GS doesn't always start the first time I try it. I will let it turn over a few times and then if it doesn't start I try again and it starts. A few months ago I had the hot start problem and the dealer fixed that and now it has the cold start problem. I mentioned it to the Dealer and he said but it starts good hot now, right? He did say they would hook it up to the computer as I had it there for the fuel light not coming on when the fuel got low. I am going to the Dealer tomorrow for chain and sprockets and will mention it again. It always starts but still bugs me and this little problem may entice me to trade it sooner than I would have. It will be a year old July 27th and I have a little over 18,000 miles on it. Any ideas I can mention to the Service Manager?

The hot start problem was the decompression lever and my wife's 2012 G650GS really had the problem the worst but mine would not start every once in awhile right away; they always did start just not well.

Had the exact same problem with my 2012 G650GS as your wife's. Took two trips and a month for the dealer to fix.

I'm subscribed on this thread & I'll post after more exp with the MC. As far as I know my MC is "fixed" from the 2nd repair. The 1st owner rode it as a commuter for several hundred short trip miles(military home to base & return @ Ft Rucker,AL) & had no problems after Pensacola BMW did the correct fix. As a side note & FWIW, he sold it based on his next duty assignment, not based on a continuing issue with the MC.
There are several active threads on this series of bikes on ADV under Thumper but I have to say the posts are 75% fluff(I do it too) & 25% meat. The F650 sites not dead but also not real heavy with action. Definitely not as much as I would have thought.
As a service I'll post this reference to a link for the service bulletin detailing the repair of hot start issue: Go to "Thumpers" on "ADV" & in the large thread-"G650GS" read Post #921 , page 62.
If I knew how to make it easier , I'd have done it that way,sorry.:wave

Hot and Cold Start Issues

I don't want to play internet mechanic because you can't diagnose a vehicle from your kitchen table but I would also make sure that the spark plugs you use are the ones tailored for your driving style. What I mean by this is we all have different usage patterns for our motorcycles and having the incorrect temperature ratings can cause a plug to foul or worse yet damage the engine. I have made this change in the past and found immediate improvements in the combustion performance of the bike -- both hot and cold. You can find immense amounts of information on the Bosch and Denso websites that speak to plug ratings. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that this is your problem but merely that it could contribute to cold or hot start issues. Also make sure your plug gap is set correctly as this will change on its own over time.

Kent

I don't want to play internet mechanic because you can't diagnose a vehicle from your kitchen table but I would also make sure that the spark plugs you use are the ones tailored for your driving style. What I mean by this is we all have different usage patterns for our motorcycles and having the incorrect temperature ratings can cause a plug to foul or worse yet damage the engine. I have made this change in the past and found immediate improvements in the combustion performance of the bike -- both hot and cold. You can find immense amounts of information on the Bosch and Denso websites that speak to plug ratings. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that this is your problem but merely that it could contribute to cold or hot start issues. Also make sure your plug gap is set correctly as this will change on its own over time.

Kent

I can't imagine buying a brand new bike and then having to experiment with spark plugs to see which one works best. I bought a new bike so I don't have to deal with things like that. If the wrong spark plug is the problem then BMW needs to take the responsibility to correct that issue,(or am I living in a dream world?)

Spark Plugs & Stuff

I can't imagine buying a brand new bike and then having to experiment with spark plugs to see which one works best. I bought a new bike so I don't have to deal with things like that. If the wrong spark plug is the problem then BMW needs to take the responsibility to correct that issue,(or am I living in a dream world?)

I'd like to first point out that it's not a brand new bike... it is a year old and has 18,000 miles on it but I can appreciate your line of thinking and generally most OEMs will install likely install a plug that is at the mid-point of the heat range for the duty cycle that the bike is intended for. But remember that BMW, like every OEM, can't predict how you will use your bike -- there is a difference between frequent short trips (lots of starts and stops with the engine never warming up fully) versus extended long trips (where the engine will get up to its design temperature).

If an engine doesn't start on the first crank, it can only be one of three things: (1) ignition, (2) fuel, or (3) air. Given that the bike does start and run properly after the second crank I'm assuming it's not air. Between fueling and ignition, the latter is far easier to diagnose and, within that system, the plug is the first thing I'd look at -- again because it's easy and because it sounds like the engine runs fine once it's going. If you look at an engine's spark plug that has the proper heat range, it should be relatively free of carbon and have a grey patina to it. If the engine is running cold, the plug is likely fouling and will have carbon buildup that causes it to look black. This can also be caused by too large a plug gap and therefore a weak spark.

I had a similar issue with my KTM 85SX which is a two stroke -- the sucker wouldn't start on the first two tries. I pulled the plug and sure enough it had fouled making for a weak spark. Two reasons for that: (1) the prior owner had installed a plug with the wrong heat range and (2) the plug gap had opened up to 50% greater than specification. I addressed both and the little guy starts and runs like a champ.

Again, if you have your doubts -- and I'm not suggesting that this IS the issue, only that it could be -- do some research at the Bosch or Denso websites which speak to this... it's interesting reading.

Kent

Ktm 85 sx

"I had a similar issue with my KTM 85SX which is a two stroke "

Kent

Don't you need a larger dirt bike?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

#71449 Life

Ktm 85sx

Kent

Don't you need a larger dirt bike?

Too funny! Technically this is my 15-year old daughter's bike which I bought for her to learn on. I ride it around because I have a BMW K1300S which doesn't do trails too well (and I've tested it on gravel roads which are a real adventure)! I have a few things to get in order and once in place I want to get my 11-year old daughter a KTM 50SX and I'm going to seriously look at a KTM 690 Enduro R. That should fit me better than the 85SX (which is a lot of fun by the way).

Kent

Back