• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

DIY Airhead handlebar risers

photorider

I looked for a while for a set of bar risers that would look good on an old Airhead with no luck. Then I remembered that a while back I got a used triple top plate that came with a set of crusty bar clamps and I had an idea...

riser2.jpgriser3.jpgriser5.jpg

Pretty happy with the result and my back is thankful on long trips.

As you can see form the pics, I have no fancy tools (not even a vise!) this was done on the kitchen table of my apt. with a hacksaw and some sandpaper. Old cables worked just fine.

Risers

WOW!Photorider were you channeling?Three weeks ago I made the identical mod to my '78 R80/7.I can now access the fork caps without the tedious handlebar removal for fluid changes.At least we used BMW authorized parts.A one hour job turned into four .I'll bet that you also had fun going through your surplus bolts bin to get the right length.If you have a source of the correct longer studs,please let me (us) know.The only downside is that the dash pad looks funny installed so I'll probably leave it off.

Russ

HA!
Three weeks ago is when I did mine also! I guess great minds think alike ;)
Funny you should mention the bolts, too. I didn't have four of anything that would fit at home so I had to go to the hardware store TWICE to get what I needed. I just went with regular hardened bolts from Home Depot.
Another improved access point was the steering head nut. Now I can easily slip a big wrench like the one below onto it without removing anything to make adjustments.

Thanks for the comment dbrick.

photo.JPG

Attachments

• wing.gif
    wing.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 73
  • wing.gif
    wing.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 68
Nice wrench

"Now I can easily slip a big wrench like the one below onto it without removing anything to make adjustments."

photorider I need one of those!My project started when I regreased my steering head bearings.They had formerly been set too loose by the PO and now I have set them a blond hair too tight.With such a wrench I can back off the adjuster ring in a flash.The bonus is its thin profile and no chamfer to grind off.I did some searching and it seems that a 36mm Harley rear axle nut wrench can be had at a good price.Thanks for the tip.
Russ

Last edited:
Back