• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for a stereo amp for my Zumo

beeryboats

Hi all, I'm looking for a tiny amp to plug inline between my Zumo and my Autocom so I can hear the darn thing over the wind noise. I see a bunch on Ebay for cheap, but they have RCA plug outputs. Has anyone seen anything like an amp for a smart phone that has just 1/8" stereo plugs for input and output? That would be perfect.
Thanks,
Jay

I have the same set up.

But I use in ear monitors.

But before you buy an amp.

There are two volume controls on the Zumo, the buttons, and a softwear one in the set up. make sure you have that turned up in both places.

The auto com also has a couple of ways to increase the volume,.
increase the amount the volume goes up as wind speed increases b relocating the microphone.
There are of course volume controls on the unit too.

Hi all, I'm looking for a tiny amp to plug inline between my Zumo and my Autocom so I can hear the darn thing over the wind noise.

Kind of counter intuitive if by chance you haven't already tried, but if listening to electronics through Autocom, earplugs will help you hear everything a whole lot better. Besides their obvious ear protection, they filter out wind noise frequencies which will allow you to hear voice, music, and phone much clearer.

Before investing in an added line amp, you might try earplugs if never used and see how much they help. The highest rated decibel reduction foam plugs reduce noise by 33db. When inserted properly by first rolling into small diameter ( not just stuffing the thing in your ear) you should have the sensation of going deaf, however you hear what you need to hear including Jill Zumo speaking directions.

Kind of counter intuitive if by chance you haven't already tried, but if listening to electronics through Autocom, earplugs will help you hear everything a whole lot better. Besides their obvious ear protection, they filter out wind noise frequencies which will allow you to hear voice, music, and phone much clearer.

Before investing in an added line amp, you might try earplugs if never used and see how much they help. The highest rated decibel reduction foam plugs reduce noise by 33db. When inserted properly by first rolling into small diameter ( not just stuffing the thing in your ear) you should have the sensation of going deaf, however you hear what you need to hear including Jill Zumo speaking directions.

I wear ear muffs all the time in the shop, but I can not stand foam ear plugs. It keeps all the voices in my head from coming out and I get all silly. Then I have to dy clean almost everything in the house. Anyway, long story... They do drive me nuts, seems like I hear every breath I take. The Zumo is at level 10, and I just wish it had a 12.

Adding a bike powered amplifier to an Autocom system, which itself is bike-powered, MAY add additional noise distortion to your sound and you may not be happy. I would suggest that if your Autocom is set up right you shouldn't need amplification as it was intended to provide sufficient volume at speed. I would suggest you really seriously look at the amount of wind noise your helmet and windscreen (or lack thereof) is creating. I've been using an Autocom for about 15 years and am a dealer now. I can help you if you need to debug extra noise but I would argue that adding an amplifier will add more noise that it will solve.

BTW we'll be at the MOA rally to talk more about this if you want as well!!

Lisa Malachowsky
Owner, Dive N Ride Adventures

The product might be good but just like all things on a motorcycle with vibration, it may fail. I just took one out of the loop for a rider on an R1200RT with an Autocom as it was the total source of all his engine noise coming through the Autocom. I would make sure if you do order one you get it isolated and you run all electric power wires in separate areas than you run your audio cables.

Ear plugs the way to go

I suggest ear plugs with speakers like those sold by Ear, Inc. They are custom ear plugs so they fit comfortably and the sound is fantastic and you can listen to an MP3 player of plug them into a Sena to listen to your phone, GPS or intercom riders with out high amplification. Ear, Inc has dealers all over the US and are at most of the larger rallies. Even when I'm playing music at 80 MPH, you still hear the ambient things you need to hear like car engines and sirens.

Leave amplified speakers to the Harley and Winger crowd.

Back