• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 K75s clutch cable length?

jwetering

I had the transmission off the other day because I had to apply lube to the clutch splines. I hadn't put *nearly* enough on when I replaced the clutch 2 years ago and the clutch plate was starting to hang up making downshift in particular very difficult. Lesson learned. It works a treat now.

Anyway - while I was reassembling it all I noticed that the clutch cable was frayed at the lever end (not at the handle bars).

Here's the question(s):

1) What length cable do I need for my stock K75s setup?

2) I'm thinking of installing barbacks - and I guess this would be the time to do so. A while back Paul Glaves or Lee or someone like that with knowledge posted a link for barbacks that worked well with the S. What was the link and what length cable would I need if I used them? Note that I could be talked out of installing barbacks fairly easily - so feel free to do that if you think II shouldn't use them.

3) If I find a set of C-bars, what length cable should I use then?

4) Moto-bins offers two types of cables - normal and feather-lite. Is there a reason why I shouldn't pay the extra $10 for the featherlite cable?

Thanks for the advice gents. :wave

Hey Jasper,

The CLUTCH cable length is the same for the S bars or the C bars (or S bars with bar backs):

02 32 73 2 324 955 CLUTCH CABLE - L=1510MM 0.36 1 $39.65

The throttle cable on all but the '87 and earlier bikes SHOULD be long enough for either bar backs or C bars IF you cut some of the wire-ties that clamp it to the frame, thereby freeing up some slack.

The issue is the brake hose coming off the master cylinder. That will usually need to be replaced with a longer one on pre '92 bikes (perfect time to replace with braided line). Post '92 non ABS bikes, I believe, have enough slack. Post '92 with ABS I'm not sure about.

Using C bars also requires using the less attractive C dash/switch pad.

These bar backs are specifically made for early K bikes and give a really good riding position ( a good compromise for both blasting through the canyons and long distance touring).

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1349

:dance:dance:dance

Awesome Lee.

So I can order the clutch cable now and decide about barbacks (and a new brake line) later.

cheers

So I purchased from A&S:

1) New clutch cable - same as for S and C

2) Barbacks.

3) C Brake line.

I put it all together and it all fit fine.

I didn't love the stock S position but I like the bar back riding position... a lot.

I'm 6 foot tall so the K75 isn't too big for me in any way - but I always felt like I was too stretched out and I often felt strain in my wrists. I ride a lot of traffic so heads up is the order of the day and that required my elbows to be less bent that I prefer.

The barbacks put me back in my seat and I ride more upright. If and when I need to lean in I can do that now with the right amount of bent elbow. Feels good - $130 for the barbacks and brake line was well spent. :dance

Back