• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What shoes should my '02RT wear?

D

DjMeko

Need to replace the front pads @ 42k, and need some advice. I was reading that the EBC "HH" pads were really grabby, but caused additional rotor wear. Will these HH pads mess up the integrated braking if I am not changing the rear pads too? Any advice on what pads to use? Next question: Like doing a car, should I be opening the handlebar reservoir before pushing the cylinders back? Will any of this compromise the ABS system? I just had the dealer flush the braking system according the manual, but they did not have any pads available to put in at the same time, so the task falls to me. Done my cars lots of time but never the bike. Are there areas that need lube on there? Anything else I need to consider?
Thanks!
Dave

The HH pads will work fine.

Yes, open the reservoir and draw off a little fluid (I use an ear syringe) so it won't overflow when you push the pistons fully back. I leave it in the syringe and add back what I need to.

Carbone Lorraine!

Actually I couldn't find the CL rear pads so I have EBC back there. And the HH should be similar to the CLs.

Anyway, they probably won't be grabby for the first couple of stops - until they seat in a bit.
Then its a matter of getting used to it, which may take 4 or 5 applications.
Use 1 finger for a while if it bothers you.

Just like a car - You can lube the shoe guide rails and between the back of the pad and the piston - if you want.
Don't overdo it.
I couldn't tell you any difference by feel from dry and rusty to clean and lubed. They just don't move very far.

The rotors are a hard stainless steel - they will wear "more" with an aggressive pad.
Which is to say "at all".
Whether that amounts to something perceptible or not...
Not like car rotors which are typically cast iron.
The cast iron has better friction characteristics but doesn't look as nice, and it's heavy.

As long as you're going to bleed all the air out of the system you don't need to worry about the integration or the ABS.

The one thing I would rail on you about, since you know brakes but haven't done it on the bike yet - before you open the reservoir take some wet rags and cover your paint! If you spill brake fluid on paint or plastic, stop everything right now and get it off.
Don't wait until time to put the tools away.

No there is one more thing. The pads should not be extremely difficult to push back to the caliper.
If one side is, consider that your rubber brake hoses may be degraded and swollen shut.
I have a '98 so quite a bit older - the right side ruptured - not something you want to experience at speed -, and while replacing it I discovered the left was completely blocked. Replaced all hoses with Spiegler stainless, very happy with the brakes now.
Something to consider, as you asked.

Back