• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

oops. big mistake

I would check with a good detailing shop that cleans and reconditions used cars for resale. They have the expertise and the materials to turn an abused or mistreated car back into a nice vehicle. My brother has a paint and body shop that works with a new car dealership and he has learned tricks from them.

results

ok, knowing full well my lack of patience with such matters, I took the advice of some of the forum members and took the screwed up side case to an EXPERIENCED body man. He was able to fine sand and buff out the problem without paint or clear coat, and the cost was minimal. Also, he told me that it is IMPERATIVE that you keep a good coat of good wax on any plastic body parts. In fact, he went so far as to say that if I had been waxing properly, that the bug spray wouldn't have been an issue!! Never having owned a vehicle before that was mostly plastic, I was totally clueless about this. So, maybe we have all learned something here. Everytime you wash your bike, be sure to re-wax with a good quality wax, especially on plastic body parts.

Glad the paint problem got resolved. If that had happened to me, I wouldn't have talked to me for at least a week, maybe longer. :thumb

FWIW, the waxing tip is something I got in the habit of many years ago. I rarely wax the whole bike (or car, or truck) at one time, but developed a routine of waxing a portion after every washing. So, on the car I might do the hood/front fenders one time, then the top/trunk lid the next, etc, etc. keeps a good deep coat of wax on, and makes the vehicle easier to keep clean. A bit obsessive, but a habit from keeping fire trucks shiny. :dance

Cheers!

ok, knowing full well my lack of patience with such matters, I took the advice of some of the forum members and took the screwed up side case to an EXPERIENCED body man. He was able to fine sand and buff out the problem without paint or clear coat, and the cost was minimal. Also, he told me that it is IMPERATIVE that you keep a good coat of good wax on any plastic body parts. In fact, he went so far as to say that if I had been waxing properly, that the bug spray wouldn't have been an issue!! Never having owned a vehicle before that was mostly plastic, I was totally clueless about this. So, maybe we have all learned something here. Everytime you wash your bike, be sure to re-wax with a good quality wax, especially on plastic body parts.
Glad it worked out for you. With the concentration of DEET you were using, he may be right....With 100% DEET, you need to be real careful as it's sorta a solvent used to repel bugs.
OM

Excellent course of action

I'm late to the thread but you did exactly what I was going to suggest. Had a couple of issues with my sidecases (toppeling issues early in my riding career, and getting runnover by a truck and trailer last October, see next months BMO ON issue, MOTOSAFE meets Dealer Profile) I have a local guy that matches the paint perfect. Also had my run-ins with DEET don't use it any more, too many better alternatives. Side case shells are quick and easy to get re-painted and don't cost much to boot. I'm glad you were able to get some satisfaction and get your ride looking good again.

I got his off the net

Don't know if it works but,
When using bug spray, the residue often gets left behind on surrounding surfaces. When it comes to Plexiglas and similar hard, non-porous surfaces, the bug spray typically leaves behind a hazy film that can be sticky, slippery and unattractive. To keep the Plexiglas surface looking its best, you must safely remove the bug spray without damaging the Plexiglas.

Fill a spray bottle with 2 cups water, 1 cup white vinegar and 4 drops dish soap. Shake the bottle to mix ingredients.

Mist the spray over the Plexiglas surface and scrub the Plexiglas gently with a cleaning rag. Continue across the plexiglass until all bug spray is removed.

Allow the Plexiglas to air dry. The combination of vinegar and dish soap cuts through the bug spray and leaves behind no residue.

DW

The only other things I found on the net is, that you can't get it off; its a chemical reaction. One poster said he got it off with sandpaper; I'm not trying to make a joke, just stating a fact. Good luck with it and thanks for posting as I will be very careful with that stuff from now on. I'm in Taiwan and use too much of that stuff.

DW

Back