• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil on the floor 75/6

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
:laugh
Had a friend point to the Airhead this afternoon asking why there was an oil drip under the /6...Looks like the original pushrod seals I was putting off are leaking. I was shocked.

Will BMW fix this for free? I know it's been a few years and I am the 2nd owner but c'mon...where's the dang quality these days? My 09 GSA has 70K and no leaks...this 39 year old low mileage bike shouldn't be leaking...just not right. Must be a defect here somewhere.

carry on...just moving past the barrage elsewhere and have seals on the way:p LOVE this bike!

Steve -

And I was just beginning to heal and you had to go and rip the bandage off... :nono

I've never run across them actually dripping, mostly just oozing and grabing dust/dirt. A couple of years ago, I also saw some dripping and figured it was time to change the seals. I decided to really clean the area up (the left side) and blew some baby powder in the area. Went for a ride and saw that the oil was coming out of the center of my oil pressure switch. Interesting...so I put the pushrod tube seals back on the shelf and bought a new switch and all was dry. I did replace the seals, though, this past winter during the top end job.

Sorry Kurt...long day in the sun :D

I haven't really looked, I was working on something else...I had changed all the engine case seals and was not ready to yank the topend yet. It could be from the new pan seal as well.I think I put it on dry/no sealant. The pushrods are def weepy on the case.

Just being goofy on a Friday nite after riding INTO Weird-Town (Austin) this morning and dodging idiots with phones in their ears.

On my 74 R90/6 (19k miles) I swear every seal on the bike was weeping a little. I thought my "dripping" was the pushrod seals, but it turned out to be the tranny input shaft seal. Only seals not replaced and not leaking so far are the the front seal in the timing chest. (Knock on wood. :). )

'Eres what you need. From our friends at AeroStitch... phony oil puddles. You can throw one under the Bm'r when you park and it will keep the real oil drip off the pavement. A laugh a minute! And fun for the whole family!

3310li.jpg

I did this years ago using real oil (with a little extra dabbed on the engine case near the counter shaft) when my buddy brought his shiny new '77 Ducati 900ss to work. I wasn't able to get back with him to explain by ahem, humorous prank until well after lunch. They had the Duc loaded on the trailer and were just ready to head down to the Santa Barbara DucDealer when I finally caught up with them. .. .. . :whistle

I know my Harley-riding friends love me when we're on trips because they invite me to park with them because my bike drips occasionally... . . I'm still fighting my %*@#!!! oil pan gasket (and I switched to silicone).

I told them that it must be great knowing when your scooter is out of oil because it isn't dripping any.

I haven't sprung (yes, pun) one of these little gems on them ... yet.
icon_wink.gif

Back