• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hi, new and already have a transmission repair question.

dlhouse51

Hello, David House here. I've been the proud but frustrated owner of an 83 BMW R65 since December 2012. Rebuilt the carbs, replaced the coil and the engine runs great. But.... when I took it out for a test ride yesterday, was winding through the gears and from 4 to 5, the tranny made this sound of dogs and gear slots not meshing. Sound stopped upon deacceleration. The bike still shifts through the gears, but only at the lowest of throttle. If any torque is applied in any gear, the grinding sound occurs. Do I have a tranny rebuild on my hands? Any suggestions for a quick fix?

Does not sound healthy. My first BMW I bought new, a 1986 R80RT that ran perfect until one day it did pretty much as yours. My problem turned out to be stripped splines in the clutch and input shaft. The bike had about 35K on it at the time. Whatever it is, it needs to be looked at.

Wayne

Have you drained the gearbox and checked the oil for metal? Take out the rubber timing plug and see if there is any metallic dust inside. Stick a pencil magnet in and see if anything sticks to it.

If you are not absolutely sure the sound comes from the transmission do not forget
Splines at rear end of drive shaft
Spline cup in rear wheel

No suggestions for a quick fix but had Tom Cutter at rubber chicken racing garage go through my r90/6 recently and he treated me fairly. Tranny shifts much nicer now.

Good luck,
Dave

Pull the rubber boot back where the tranny is bolted to the driveshaft...make sure all those bolts are in place and tight.

And if they are tight get some new ones because your going to pull the trany. If they are lose, replace them.

And if they are tight get some new ones because your going to pull the trany. If they are lose, replace them.

I have used those bolts multiple times over.

I keep a set just in case but If you can thread them in easily by hand they are OK.

From a retired metallurgist.

Thanks, all

Thanks for all your responses. Will check out all suggestions, including finding a reputable BMW repair shop to work this problem out. Sounds like it is beyond my capabilities.

Name your location, there are folks here on the boards spread out all over the US and Canada; some one will know of a shop that can help you out. There's also the Resources & Links page to refer to.

Sounds like the ears are broken off the input shaft gear. It does exactly what you describe, and it's a known issue for those years.

ears.jpg

I am located in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, about 10 miles east of Providence, RI.

Welcome the to forum by the way!
RE: your location
I think he means edit your profile to include your location. :D
Having the bike you own in your signature area also helps readers. :type

Back