• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

To Trailer or not to Trailer

amiles

Perhaps this is not the correct "category" for responding to an article in the ON, but it's the best that I could figure. This was a well written very well thought out piece. Hopefully it will motivate further discussion of the topic & those with personal experience can contribute to the "knowledge base" on this topic.

There is a board topic for Sidecars & Trikes. As I recall trailers were rightfully excluded due to being a very different "breed of Cat" with little in common with the other two. From what I see at rallies & while out & about, trailers seem to outnumber Sidecars & Trikes, perhaps a topic on the board would be appropriate?

Yes;

We covered this topic extensively a month or so ago here, after 'ON article. Good stuff mentioned here in forum, as much NOT said in magazine write up, from a guy(author) that never towed anything? It may have been well thought out from ones perspective, just NOT complete with towing experience thrown in there. We sounded off here, find it:). Good stuff. I did trailer for 30000+ miles, behind KLT1200 and R100/7 long ago. Its FUN, BUT research is paramount for your SAFETY concerns. Learn it well, tow safe. Randy

Just saw your home:)

South Carolina:). I have some great friends in ColumbiaSC that tow behind their RT1150 for years now, two up. They are really good friends and come to all the National Rallies. I will see them again in Salem this year, as they are crossing the USA once again:). Same bike, RT with Bushtec Trailer they have towed a LONG ways. Lawson and Lois, their first names. Great people:). You may know them? Randy

I will not tow a trailer without a 360 degree swivel hitch on the trailer never , its a matter of leaning over to far around a corner and then locking up the ball (without a swivel).That experience wants to stand back up your bike in a turn and thats not good.Just from my own experience. Even if your trailer was forced to flip or turn over from a road hazard on its side it won't force you down while on your bike to follow suit.

Last edited:
The preferred method of transport for Harleys?

:brow seriously? While it does seem that more HD's are trailered...it's because there are so many more HD's in the country.

This particular thread is about pull behind the bike trailers

FWIW...we trailer in our Toyhauler RV... open trailer when we or folks need help and when time/plans dictate it...no shame involved. I did buy mine when I had a HD if it makes your point.

back to pulling behind the bike:love

HD Folks:)

I see more or at least equally as many HD'ers towing behind their bikes, cargo trailers, all types. As many as there are out there(HDs), they probably outnumber us by FAR in riders still riding point A to B. A big HD event draws 100s of thousands and if only 10% rode they still beat US! Yeah, they have a trailer/pickup truck image in group thing going on for certain. BEEN to a BMW National Rally lately??? Look into the RV parking next time:). Its growing too, with Beemers in tow a plenty. ONE POINT missed, WE STILL probably have the more serious tourers, larger percentage thing going on for bikes sold. Don't know, but likely more of us Beemerphiles ride a lot more miles. I do. Randy

Been towing a Bushtec trailer since 1991, I have 518,000 miles on my 1977 R100RS and the 2004 Bushtec Quantum has about 150,000 miles.
No other way to go.

+++ on thee swivel hitch!

Way cool:)

I too have a '78 R100 approaching 400000m, but it sits a lot lately as I ride the newer GSA more. Would not ever sell my Airhead. Those Bushtecs are a trend setter in the tow industry, everywhere. Must be really good units. See ya in Salem. Randy

Trailering

Having been a rider since my 16th birthday some 50 years ago and having had beemers for the past 27 years, four years ago I just purchased an Aluma trailer to tow behind my KLT. I do think a swivel hitch is a must as far as safety goes. When we ride two up, the misses and I prefer the LT which is very comfortable. I can't even tell the trailer is back there unless I look and we can get all the camping stuff in it whiteout loading the bike down. The little misses is now a very happy camper and I can finally take more than one pair of under ware when we go anywhere. Although I am a newbie to trailering, I have put some 25,000 miles on the trailer in the past 4 years. ++++ to trailering . No big deal.

KLT here too:)

We towed two up, behind our KLT1200 for 5 years, no issues. Our homebuilt cargo/open woody design worked perfect:). Camped and loved it. The KLT was amazing tow m/c, got great mileage even with trailer. We used ball and never had a issue, even with bike on its side, it never locked up the ball, with DMC hitch. A flipping trailer, another story and not likely to happen. If it does, you already have other issues. A pic in Idaho, Sawtooth Mtns..We towed everything we needed to camp and the bike/trailer had no issues at all. All our gear was in waterproof bags, of course. Towing was fun. I don't do it anymore, with current GSA. Trailer sits on my ranch, unused for years now. Anybody want a cheap buy? I've got about 750$ in building it:), 10 years ago. Happy Trails, Randy

Attachments

• sawtooth 12.jpg
    sawtooth 12.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 971
now this is a rig! seems to have a sidecar AND a mini sportbike as well!:eek

Attachments

• Goldwing rig.jpg
    Goldwing rig.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 991
A flipping trailer said:
Yes it is possible, I know because it happened to me!

My first trip with my Bushtec I caught a curb with my inside wheel and the trailer rolled 360 degrees over. Because it has a swivel hitch all I felt was a slight tug from behind. Had that been a regular ball type hitch it would have pulled the bike down.
I had slight damage to paintwork but that's all. I learned to take corners a little wider and have had no issues since.

Glad :)

You survived the roll over, very happy for ya that day:). Im not gonna hit curbs, however! Big Rig(18 wheelers) driver most my life keeps me curb friendly:)...I agree the swivel is great idea and my ball system is less. No argument, we just never had a issue and it wont lock up on a tip over with ball(KLT). Been there already, with my KLT on its side when I failed to set sidestand right while parking. The DMC had a great hitch, kind a kept the ball lower than most, maybe? It worked great. IF I had the money, the Bushtec is first rate and the swivel is also:). My home built was cool enough for us, really enjoyed its ability to track swell behind our KLT1200. Randy

Swivle Trailer Hitch

I will not tow a trailer without a 360 degree swivel hitch on the trailer never , its a matter of leaning over to far around a corner and then locking up the ball (without a swivel).That experience wants to stand back up your bike in a turn and thats not good.Just from my own experience. Even if your trailer was forced to flip or turn over from a road hazard on its side it won't force you down while on your bike to follow suit.

Each to his own but I will never use a swivel hitch. Here is why. Years ago my wife and I were riding through Houston Tex in the outside lane doing 70 mph, pulling a trailer. I passed a car in the lane on my right and that car whipped out behind me and hit my trailer. The trailer flipped up on the left side and stayed there. The tongue was twisted but the hitch stayed locked on. Had I, In my Opinion, had a swivel hitch the trailer would have went up on its top that had two old style aluminum chairs strapped down. That would have allowed the trailer to swing around an pull the bike down. I never slowed down for a curve because of the trailer. Never leaned so far that the hitch prevented more lean.

Jack Ethridge
Ocala Fl

Still fun:)

I bet stories exist in all of us, swivels or ball type hitches. Either way, I always enjoyed my towing days and may go back to it someday. MY worst day was an emergency stop in Wisconsin, not hitch related at all. Most of our trailers have no brakes and I got CAUGHT in a hard braking maneuver, ALL BRAKES heavy applied. WE stopped, but scared us good! No harm to bike or rider/passenger, but still one to remember. That weight behind a bike is a pusher, don't forget your stopping powers and feet required:). We almost ate it, guard down that day....Randy

Back