• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150R auxilliary lights

TonysR100

Mongrel Owner
Hi, all.
I've ordered a couple of LED auxiliary lights off Ebay, to add a little conspicuity to the '02 'R. The lights draw about 9w each.
I would like to have them switched on and off through the ignition, rather than putting a manual switch into the circuit.
A friend wondered if there was an unused, switched connection in the R wiring harness that would be available for wiring up the lamps. Does anybody know? So far as I know, the only addition to stock is my nautilus horn, which is plumbed into the horn circuit with a relay.
Assuming that BMW wasn't feeling in a generous mood when they designed the harness, what do folks do to wire in these little extras? Must seem simple, I know, but I'm always a bit leery of mucking about with the wiring. Guess I don't want to let the smoke out by mistake.
Cheers, and thanks,
Tony

Pull a signal from the parking/running light circuit to power a relay for your lights.

+1 As an added plus; if you use the parking lamp circuit to drive your relay, it will keep the lights off during start-up thanks to the load relief relay.

Back