• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Question

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I know this isn't bike specific however I respect the opinions of Oilhead owners over most others hence the posting here.

In planning a trip into an area of the country which will have climatic conditions similar to those I expect to experience in the afterlife, I am considering one of those modular, chinbar-flip-up full face helmets.

I'm looking at an HJC. Does anyone have any experience with them? How quiet are they (I wear earplugs now) ? How well do they vent? Do they retain their fit?

Thanks in advance for your input (even from RS owners). Kidding! :D

First of all, go to webbikeworld.com. They have reviews on almost any helmet, including HJC's.

I currently have an HJC CL15 (non flip, full face) that is getting long in the tooth. What I like about HJC is the fit. The CL series fit me perfectly and are comfortable. I also like that I can change the face shield without tools. What I don't like is the venting. HJC's tend to be in the "bargain line" of helmets. Venting is often better on the more expensive helmets. I would not want to do any extended high temp trip with my current helmet because it does not pass the air through very well.

I used to have a Nolan N100E flipup that had decent venting, but was pretty noisy. Frankly, I prefer the full face over the flipup, at least for now. As far as noise is concerned, I've also decided that my hearing is too important to not wear earplugs, which I do, every time I ride.

There is no such thing as a flip helmet that passes Snell. Although slim there is the possibility of a flip popping open in an impact. i would strongly urge you to stick with a one-piece full face that passes Snell or the European equivalent of Snell of which the name escapes me at the moment. Face plants are not pleasant.

Both my old HJC Symax and my newer Nolan N104 require earplugs. If I stand up, both get much quieter, but the wind coming off the screen makes them noisy. The fit of the chin bar on the HJC feels kind of flimsy and the newer models haven't seemed much better. The Nolan chin bar has a nice solid feel to it and the venting also seems better. I''ll say seems, because I also switched from a black helmet to a silver one so that may be helping as well. A friend of mine has a Schuberth that he loves, but it was out of my budget.

There is no such thing as a flip helmet that passes Snell. Although slim there is the possibility of a flip popping open in an impact. i would strongly urge you to stick with a one-piece full face that passes Snell or the European equivalent of Snell of which the name escapes me at the moment. Face plants are not pleasant.

But they do pass DOT. As for face plants, I've done one or two in my dirt bike days. As you say, no fun. But it shouldn't make that much of a difference as I slide down the road in my t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. Just kidding! :D

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

But they do pass DOT. As for face plants, I've done one or two in my dirt bike days. As you say, no fun. But it shouldn't make that much of a difference as I slide down the road in my t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. Just kidding! :D

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

I imagine you're aware of this but given your DOT answer I figured I would mention it anyway. The DOT standard is a weaker standard compared to Snell. That is why the flip's pass DOT but apparently not Snell although I don't know if any manufacture has attempted the Snell cert either as it is optional.

I imagine you're aware of this but given your DOT answer I figured I would mention it anyway. The DOT standard is a weaker standard compared to Snell. That is why the flip's pass DOT but apparently not Snell although I don't know if any manufacture has attempted the Snell cert either as it is optional.

I wouldn't say the DOT standard is weaker. I will say its different. This subject has been covered extensively by more than one motorcycle magazine.

My Arai RX-7 and Corsair V helmets are all Snell and DOT approved.

At the end of the day, DOT will be fine for this application. Now, back to our original question....

At the end of the day, DOT will be fine for this application. Now, back to our original question....

I'm in a business where we kill off and maim some of our customers. That's a strong statement you're making there. I hope for your sake you're correct.

HJC Flip up

I spent the bucks and bought a Schuberth C3 which has much to recommend it. That having been said, mine needed repair and my dealer lent me an HJC flip-up. Having experienced both, The Schuberth C3 is more refined but damn sure not THAT refined for over twice the money. I have nothing but good things to say about HJC and NOBODY beats them in "bang for the buck". I would buy another one though I'm not sure I would buy another Schuberth

Regards,

Will

I spent the bucks and bought a Schuberth C3 which has much to recommend it. That having been said, mine needed repair and my dealer lent me an HJC flip-up. Having experienced both, The Schuberth C3 is more refined but damn sure not THAT refined for over twice the money. I have nothing but good things to say about HJC and NOBODY beats them in "bang for the buck". I would buy another one though I'm not sure I would buy another Schuberth

Regards,

Will

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. :thumb

And Braddog: That is a heckova website you directed me to. Thanks!

First of all, go to webbikeworld.com. They have reviews on almost any helmet, including HJC's.

I currently have an HJC CL15 (non flip, full face) that is getting long in the tooth. What I like about HJC is the fit. The CL series fit me perfectly and are comfortable. I also like that I can change the face shield without tools. What I don't like is the venting. HJC's tend to be in the "bargain line" of helmets. Venting is often better on the more expensive helmets. I would not want to do any extended high temp trip with my current helmet because it does not pass the air through very well.

I used to have a Nolan N100E flipup that had decent venting, but was pretty noisy. Frankly, I prefer the full face over the flipup, at least for now. As far as noise is concerned, I've also decided that my hearing is too important to not wear earplugs, which I do, every time I ride.

Having been the owner of a full face Bell Star in 1969 for the price of $59.95 I'm strongly suspect just to how good a full face that sells for $100 in the year 2013 can possibly be. Given the fact you typically get what you pay for I just can't be a believer at $100.

Given that this is a BMW website and lots of us feel there is little of quality offered by the USA auto industry compared to German, how is it then that a USA helmet standard is superior? I'd be really surprised if there's a single driver or rider in Formula 1 or MotoGP that cares a whit about Snell. HJC makes Lorenzo's helmet. Schuberth makes Alonso's and Danica's helmets. Of course I note often here BMW owners considering PepBoys and Home Depot as parts sources, so it's happened before that people stay on the farm having seen Paris.

See http://rideapart.com/2013/06/a-beginners-guide-to-motorcycle-gear/

Last edited:
/ mod hat on /

People, let's just stick to the OP's question, please! I don't think we need for a simple help feedback question to become like an oil or tire thread. Discussing differences in standards, US versus Europe, might be germane (sort of) but I'm sure the OP is well aware of these issues. We're not going to convince anyone of anything.

Thanks!

/ mod hat off /

Symax 3

back to the question, I am somewhat disappointed in the Symax 3 but not totally. I do believe it is quieter than the Symax2, but I have had problems with it locking in the up position. Both the little doojiggers broke on my first trip in the helmet. It got increasingly more difficult to operate, the plastic parts broke on both sides and the face would not stay up. Nearly bit my finger off. Bought from Revzilla and they helped out getting HJC to repair it.

The other weakness is in the snaps that hold the crown part of the inner liner at the front of the helmet to hold. Just about every time I remove the helmet, the liner comes loose. I have been a long time HJC user but probably will shop for something else next time.

I had the Symex I, 2, and 3, the IS-Mex, and the RPHA Max, the latter is better and as light as a Schuberth. It is great!

I had a Symax as a commuter helmet and really liked the convenience of the modular style. When time can for a replacement, I went with a Shoei Multitec on closeout for 299.00.

In any case, hot weather is made more bearable with a modular, IMHO.

Given that this is a BMW website and lots of us feel there is little of quality offered by the USA auto industry compared to German, how is it then that a USA helmet standard is superior? I'd be really surprised if there's a single driver or rider in Formula 1 or MotoGP that cares a whit about Snell. HJC makes Lorenzo's helmet. Schuberth makes Alonso's and Danica's helmets. Of course I note often here BMW owners considering PepBoys and Home Depot as parts sources, so it's happened before that people stay on the farm having seen Paris.

See http://rideapart.com/2013/06/a-beginners-guide-to-motorcycle-gear/

Well, this is America after all. Don't know if this is valid or not but I do believe Snell is better well known than the Euro-equivelent.

a few thoughts:
* flip-up helmets are not actually designed to be ridden in the up position, unless you consider having a sail planted at the front of your head as being a really good thing.
* due to the need for space to swing that chin bar up, I have yet to find a flip lid that is as quiet as a FF that fits properly. there is just that much more gap around the lower cheek/chin area on them.
* wear earplugs, regardless of what helmet you buy; they all allow too much wind noise to get to your ears.
*DOT is a compliance standard issued by DOT. Manufacturers agree to comply with it, and DOT agrees to approve their helmets. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been adjusted in the last quarter century or so.
*AGV is, to my knowledge, the only company to have paid to get Snell tested (their Mugello helmet, iirc). I am not sure of the results of that testing. Yes, Snell or ECE (the Yurp standard) IS that much better than mere DOT.

bottom line (from my vantage point) is this- get the helmet that fits that offers the features you want, purchase a hydration vest (Joe Rocket's Sahara is very very good) along with a flow-thru mesh jacket, and quit your whining and sniveling about the heat. good lord man, you're starting to sound like one of these RS riders!!

Back