• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Question

After several Flip ups (modular) HJC, KBC I bought a C3 Shuberth.
It took a couple of weeks to get used to but I love it. It is by far the quietest helmet I have ever owned.
I would buy another when the time comes.
Worth the extra money IMO. A quality built product.
Intercom installation is very easy as well.
My lady got a C3W this spring.

Also handy when you need to curse out a cage! :deal

I had a Schuberth S1 full face for several years, then went shopping for a shopping for a modular helmet with a flip-front. The HJCs felt like a plastic bucket, only cheaper. Arai and Shoei just didn't feel quite right. Finally went to Barnett BMW and tried the new C3. Felt solid, lighter and smaller than my S1. Now the only choice was whether to go with a white (like my S1) or Hi-Viz C3. I went with the Hi-Viz. If I remember correctly, white helmets are associated with 25% fewer crashes in some study...European, I think. So Hi-Viz has to be better since it's so obnoxiously bright.

None of the helmets felt as well made as the Schuberth. I hate spending $700 on a helmet, but we all place our bets when we climb on our bikes.

Have to agree with jhgilbert and gsaddict on the Schuberth C3. I've been using flip up modulars for quite a while now both for stop and go and sun glass convenience and fit. My last one was the HJC SyMax II and it served me well. It just wore out.
Modular helmets:
- they are noisier than a full face helmet
- they are heavier than a full face helmet

I finally splurged on the C3 and although the ventilation is not great and fogging requires that you run with the bottom open a bit to effectively keep it clear (I don't use the pin lock inner visor) it is otherwise the best helmet I have ever owned.
- much quieter than the HJC
- much lighter than the HJC
- exceptional quality of materials
- exceptional optical quality (especially the sun visor)

Yeah it hurt to pay $700 instead of say $269 for another SyMax but the comfort and quality is there. Some break in required.

Thank you all for your valued input.

I can get a pretty good deal on an HJC IS Max BT Sprint at a local shop. I'm going to try it to see if I like the idea of a modular helmet. If yes, I'll invest the bucks in something more high end.

Thanks again and see you at the rally in Salem.

Agree all you want on the C3, but the HJC RPHA Max is lighter, just as quiet, and quite good on ventilation. It is less expensive too.

Don't do it...wait until Salem. I believe Schuberth is supposed to be there and I've heard they have had special deals in the past. One more thing...the customer service by Schuberth has always been excellent. The last time I dropped my S1 helmet, I called for the parts and they told me to ship them the helmet. They REBUILT the helmet with new padding, visor, etc and shipped it back the same day. My cost. Shipping to CA.

THANKS PHIL! He's the tech at Schuberth.

Don't do it...wait until Salem. I believe Schuberth is supposed to be there and I've heard they have had special deals in the past.

Never thought of that. But what would I do with the helmet I wear to get there? I don't own any crappy ones I'd just throw away. Shipping it home would be expensive. Perhaps I can negotiate a deal where they'll ship a new helmet to my place. I think I need to start a poll on the options I have.

Kidding! :laugh

I would not by a IS BT Max.... I have the first year model with about 20k miles on it(bought it when I picked up my '98 RT). Here it is in a nutshell:

Good:
Nice flip up design
I like the internal sun shield and the slider to actuate it.
Built in speaker pockets in the foam.
Removable liner to wash it and clean up.

And now the BAD:
The helmet developed a internal rattle that will drive you nuts. The first time I heard the rattle when it was under warranty yet. Had the dealer send it in at end of riding season. Got it back rattle free.This lasted about 3 months.Well the rattle is back. You don't hear it all the time,just when the right combo of the inner sun and outer shields are "met". I have tightened every fastener I can find to no avail...

It has been a good helmet,but I would be buying another one...Maybe a Nolan 104 the next time around.

Just my 2cents worth.

Perry

Never thought of that. But what would I do with the helmet I wear to get there? I don't own any crappy ones I'd just throw away. Shipping it home would be expensive. Perhaps I can negotiate a deal where they'll ship a new helmet to my place. I think I need to start a poll on the options I have.

Kidding! :laugh

I don't know about Canada but shipping a helmet is far from expensive. Keep your hopes up if that is what you want.

Shipping stuff into Canada from the US is quite expensive. Turns out "Free Trade" ain't free at all. :brow
Just to put the screws to taxpayers some more now eBay is charging export fees at time of purchase. This just started recently and is causing quite the uproar. It was bad enough already and now they've jumped on the tax wagon.

BC11000S you are welcome to grab one of my two expired but serviceable HJC helmets for your ride to Salem and throw it in a trash barrel once you find the helmet of your dreams at the big show. And there will be deals in Salem for sure. One of them even has a fairly new shield. You might need a toque though. :laugh

Nolan had some great sales in Redmond in 2010. I doubt you will see much of a deal on Schuberth units but who knows? They never dropped prices more than $10 to $25 when I was hunting for one.

Well, this is America after all. Don't know if this is valid or not but I do believe Snell is better well known than the Euro-equivelent.

This part of the discussion reminds me of one son that attended a European technical/engineering university with students from several other European countries. He said that in private conversation it was common for the argument to be that the "Euro way,habit,custom,product,etc." was the right way "to go", particularly the French were adamant in respect to anything French as being the only way to go.:laugh
Seriously many USA companies hire Europeans & vice versa in Europs-what's the point geo wise? The "standard of helmet judgement" is THE point! & as said it's a worn out topic previously hashed in MC mags.
What is! important here is IMO of owner/users of these various helmets as the MC mag reviews are pure crap thats not very useful other than perhaps the weights,basic features all in one place & that tends to be piecemeal too.

Shipping stuff into Canada from the US is quite expensive. Turns out "Free Trade" ain't free at all. :brow
Not to mention the paperwork you have to fill out just to ship to Canada from the U.S. I had an extra Clymer BMW manual in almost new condition that I "gave" to a gentleman on another board. He had just gotten his first airhead, and was looking for a manual. Karma being what it is, I gave him mine and told him he could have it for whatever shipping costs were. It cost $34 to ship that from Minnesota to Ontario, Kingston, Ontario, no less, which is not that far away. He was totally OK with that price and happily paid me, even though I told him I was a little embarassed by the "free" manual I was providing.

/sarcasm on
Just ride down to the rally with a doo rag, buy the helmet once you're there. But maybe since you've experienced the "freedom" you'll decide you won't ever need a helmet again.
/sarcasm off

/sarcasm on
Just ride down to the rally with a doo rag, buy the helmet once you're there. But maybe since you've experienced the "freedom" you'll decide you won't ever need a helmet again.
/sarcasm off

Buddy, you think I haven't already considered that? According to some, wearing a helmet with a DOT designation is akin to doing the same thing so I may as well. :D

Happy Wanderer: As always, you are a man among men. I'll let you know. But I gotta tell ya, I'm diggin' this "freedom" thing that Braddog brought up. :laugh

Back