• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800GT question about driveline lash

georgeN2GA

I saw the F800GT at the International Motorcycle Show in New York in January and was looking forward to trying one in advance of a possible purchase. I was able to attend Americade the beginning of this month and finally got a chance to ride one. I enjoyed the ride except for one thing - it had a LOT of driveline lash at low speeds. I have driven an F800ST before and didn't notice the lash on that model. I know they're both belt-drive and was wondering if the one I rode had a problem or if the jerky action is an inherent issue. The one I rode had only 200 miles on it and may not have been fully broken in but I'm wondering if a belt needs breaking in? Any and all opinions are requested, especially from current F800GT owners. I really like this bike and would love to purchase one but this one issue seems to be a deal breaker.

Thanks, George

I purchased my 800GT at the beginning of March and have a little over 10,000 miles on it. While there are some issues, this is not one of them. The one big issue is getting the bike to fit my personal choices with seating, wind protection, riding position, etc.

Love the bike and have just a couple of items remaining to really make it my bike.

bob

I purchased my 800GT at the beginning of March and have a little over 10,000 miles on it. While there are some issues, this is not one of them. The one big issue is getting the bike to fit my personal choices with seating, wind protection, riding position, etc.

Love the bike and have just a couple of items remaining to really make it my bike.

bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for letting me know your experience. What could have caused this driveline lash? Is it possible the belt was improperly adjusted? I've ridden a lot of miles on a F800ST without this issue and I know I wasn't imagining it. This particular 800GT just was very poor at low speeds. I'm wondering why this was. BTW, what other 'issues' do you feel you're having with your bike?

Thanks, George

I am of the opinion the drive line lash you are referring to is something with the stack up of clearances in the trans and/or diff. Not something I have experienced on my bike.

The major issues with my bike are all ergonomic. Windshield, seat, pegs, and also fuel range.

Addressed the windshield with Madstad. Aftermarket is pretty thin right now for accessories and stuff on this bike. Madstad just released their w/shield with different heights.

Suburban Machinery offers peg lowering kits. Their ST kit will work on the GT with an interference problem with the kick stand.

Seat will be handled in Aug by Russell.

Fuel range corrected with addition of a custom 4.2 gallon fuel cell and luggage rack.

I am happy with the bike. It takes a little getting used to in the winds out here in the desert southwest. 3 weeks ago I was with my brother in Wy and we had 35-40 mph cross winds with rain. Not fun. Bike is pretty light and moves around more than my previous bike (GSA)

Was able to mount my GPS (478) and Valentine on a cross bar along with some bar backs from MV. They provide a more upright riding position.

More information can be had at the F800 forum. Linky:http://f800riders.org/

I am getting older and big heavy bikes are going to be part of my past. Love this bike.

bob

I am of the opinion the drive line lash you are referring to is something with the stack up of clearances in the trans and/or diff. Not something I have experienced on my bike.

I am getting older and big heavy bikes are going to be part of my past. Love this bike.

bob

Okay, thanks Bob. I figure it was the setup also.

I too am getting older and after 40 years of riding am looking to 'downsize'. That's why the F800GT looked so inviting. I was just disappointed with its low speed behavior. I'll have to try and ride another one to convince myself that it was improper setup of the first one. Otherwise, I just loved this bike, its capabilities and lower weight.

Regards, George

ST upgrades

I bought my ST used so the belt was broken in but I've not heard that belts need to be broken in. I've never experienced the lash you describe.

But, the stock F800ST has its comfort issues, most of which can be cured. The Madstadt windscreen is a must, it is awesome and well worth the money. I added the 1 inch up, 1 inch back riser from Twisted Throttle and that made long distance riding much better, the ST has too much forward lean stock in my opinion if you ride 300-500 mile days. I added a custom seat reconfiguration for about $350 from a local vendor who remakes and recovers the seat to fit your body and ride style. Well worth it.

I love the bike, it just needed a comfort redo. I like the light weight, great gas mileage and easy handling in the twisties.

Driveline Lash F800GT

I'm experiencing the same problem. In lower gears the bike lunges sporadically but not all the time.
I have about 150 miles on it and will put more on it to see if the problem goes away
or it's back to dealer.
Will keep you posted

If you experience this "lash" issue the first thing to do is to take all but the very minimum slack out of the throttle cable. The engine is very responsive both in acceleration and deceleration and slack in the throttle cable puts it out of synch with your brain and wrist.

My 2010 F650GS had a very sensitive throttle when it was new. The bike would lunge, especially when cold. The problem gradually went away. I think an ECU firmware update at one point helped some, but getting the bike broken in was the eventual solution. I'm not sure this is the same thing you are experiencing, but my issue eventually solved itself.

-Jim

Low gear surging F800GT

Paul Glaves,

you are absolutely correct.

after reading your comment on wrist brain coordination I was very careful when starting out in first making sure
the throttle matched the friction point of the shift lever and there was no problem except once or twice when I didn't match revs with lever release.. Doing it slowly made it easier for me. It was a matter of practicing..

However I will say that this is not the smoothest bike I've been on in first and second gears.

Peter

Ditto on the throttle cable slack. A lot of people go around with too much slack in their throttle cables and too little air in their tires (separate issue).

There's not much mechanical slop in the drivetrain of this belt-drive bike.

Another thing to think about is the EFI mixture. The 800 twin sometimes is known for low-speed abruptness due to fuel issues. Installation of a Booster Plug (or similar) does good stuff for some people.

Back