• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

switch plate /5 bike not starting

rider1D

:):wave

I have what appears to be an intermittent switch plate problem. I am usually getting no instrument lights at the speedometer, so that the starter button does not work. The hot red wire has power to the switchplate, the two fuses are good, and the battery is 13 volts, I sandpapered the contact point, and no wires are loose. Push the black knob key down and no instrument lights usually come on. Last year this would happen once in awhile then the situation would magically rectify itself and everything was fine. Now, no instrumentation lights. Occasionally the instrument lights would be on, then pressing the starter button, everything would go off.

The bike has 110,000 miles on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

:):wave

I have what appears to be an intermittent switch plate problem. I am usually getting no instrument lights at the speedometer, so that the starter button does not work. The hot red wire has power to the switchplate, the two fuses are good, and the battery is 13 volts, I sandpapered the contact point, and no wires are loose. Push the black knob key down and no instrument lights usually come on. Last year this would happen once in awhile then the situation would magically rectify itself and everything was fine. Now, no instrumentation lights. Occasionally the instrument lights would be on, then pressing the starter button, everything would go off.

The bike has 110,000 miles on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a similar situation - new battery, hit starter button - bike started up - tried shutting her off and when I pulled key, she kept running or another scenario - try to re-start bike (R60/5) press starter button and nothing - kick starter came in handy. Couple remedies for me: first suggestion - remove tank, disconnect neg terminal to batt and remove starter relay - posts on mine were filthy - used a hand dremel wire wheel, contact cleaner and heat sink paste on reassembly - also pried open relay and cleaned ciruit board carefully with q tip and contact cleaner - end result - no more issues. Also, when I replaced both wiring appartus for starter button/turn signals and horn/brights and replaced instrument with all new bulbs, all problems went away

Lew Morris may weigh in as he's the slash 5 resident expert with the awesome pictures - good luck!

Back