• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 K1200RS Ring Bearing

R184

Tutum amicum
Just looking for some feedback and opinions. The ring bearing on my '02 K1200RS finally died. I know this bearings wears out (I've heard that it should be replaced at about 40-50K?) and the wear starts from day 1. This bearing wore out at about 71k. As luck would have it, I was near a very reputable BMW dealer, who cleared their schedule and got me back on the road in an afternoon.

My question is that I had the major service for the bike done at about 70K (This was done at a different BMW dealer) , to include new oil in the final drive. Shouldn't the technician have noted metal shavings and bits when the oil was changed? Or can the bearing wear this much in about 1,000 miles?

Attachments

• Ringearing.jpg
    Ringearing.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 55
Not a technical answer here.

When having work done at the place I use in Durham, yes would check for metal shavings and also check free play at 3-9 oclock and 6-12. Over 100,000 miles that is basically how monitoring of the pivot bushings and bearing was done and replaced. Also finally it was decided that it was near time to repair the bearing due to increasing movement in wheel. It was something I would do on a regular basis as well when checking tires/ pressure etc. So when planning for this was also going to replace re disk. From memory I think the bearing repair was about 400-500 and the disk was going to be about 200. I just happened upon a low mileage rear drive, rotor and swing arm for 250. So purchased that and a swap was done.

But yes, I would have expected if the wear was progressing without any catastrophic failure, there should have been play developing that you could feel over the last few tire changes. Thus you would realize the time was close. That said, a ride down a nasty wash board dirt road (or perhaps one with lots of nasty seams that had you hopping over them at 70) might have added the extra bit for a bearing that was beginning to be worn to one that was failing pretty quickly.

However it happened, you were in the right place to get it fit without any truly major difficulties.

Good for them to get you in and out.

NCS

The replacement/repair of the bearing was done at what I considered a very reasonable rate and in a timely manner. I was lucky this happened where it did and not 100 miles from the nearest town.

I'm just disappointed in my local dealership, where I had the 70k service done. They were quick to take the money, but took their time in getting that service completed and I had to make several return trips to have them fix some minor problems they caused. Not to mention a refund for some work they didn't even do. I won't mention who they are, but will be taking my business elsewhere. :wave

Just looking for some feedback and opinions. The ring bearing on my '02 K1200RS finally died. I know this bearings wears out (I've heard that it should be replaced at about 40-50K?) and the wear starts from day 1. This bearing wore out at about 71k. As luck would have it, I was near a very reputable BMW dealer, who cleared their schedule and got me back on the road in an afternoon.

My question is that I had the major service for the bike done at about 70K (This was done at a different BMW dealer) , to include new oil in the final drive. Shouldn't the technician have noted metal shavings and bits when the oil was changed? Or can the bearing wear this much in about 1,000 miles?

They can produce metal shavings in much less than 1000 miles. I have rebuilt over 30 of these Final drives in the last three years. I have done two at over 100,000 miles with zero sign of wear after I took the bearing apart because they had the proper preload from the factory. I have seen as much as .004" difference with the preload just installing a new bearing. The spec. for the pre load is .0020" to .0039". Most dealers just replace the bearing & use the same shims because they have no way to check the preload,

Back